Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Belt on the block

Go down 
+8
Meldrew
Old Limey
MikeO
john grinsel
The Bern
Cosmic_Jumper
JeffR
toolboxjesse
12 posters
AuthorMessage
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block Empty
PostSubject: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey all. I know some of you are very opinionated about using certain wear products other than OEM, and especially the CVT belt. There is a brand of replacement belts that came out recently called Erlandson that claims to meet or exceed factory specs, in comparison to the knock-offs. I did a keyword search on this site for Erlandson with no result, so I assume that this product isn't known about yet. I see the OEM belt is around $110-$125 at online sellers.

I bought one for my Reflex but haven't installed it yet. It was about 3/4 of the price of OEM at the lowest-priced seller.
Here is a link to one site for the Silver Wing belt- I don't know if this is the manufacturer, distributor or vendor.
http://www.erlandsontechnology.com/Scooter_Belt_for_Honda_p/dbhomct.htm
$99.95
Here is the same product on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Erlandson-Technology-Scooter-Kevlar-DBHOMCT/dp/B00DX8AVP0
$76.75

BTW please don't shoot the messenger ;-)

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 8:18 pm

I used a Mitshubishi (sp) kevlar belt once and I had not problem with it. But other than experimenting with that I stayed with the OEM belt. I just liked to try other products just to see how they worked and then I would post about them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 9:50 pm

$99.95 is not a substantial price difference between Partzilla's $110.95 price for a, proven good, OEM belt. IIRC Kevlar belts have had a dismal longevity reputation in Europe.

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 4:35 am

I'm surprised that Gates belts are not available in the USA, they are I'm sure an American company, they are available in the UK so if any want to ask around at dealers the part number is deffo ... 9802-41804
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 8:09 am

Based on now over 300,000 miles with drive belt scooters----buy from and support your local dealer....you may need him sometime.

With both SilverWing and Suzuki Burgman 400 I change at 20,000 miles---however on older scooters and old belts----I would change at the Honda recommended interval. Walking Sucks.

Drive belts can become expensive----I always carry spare belt, again walking sucks and dealers probably will not have belt in stock----breakdowns on tour can be very expensive.

Drive belt breakage= for me once in these 300,000 miles----had spare, Helix easy roadside change. Happened just after coming off hard day in VA and WV----just would not go forward. Belt shred.

Belt to me is safety item-----give gas trying to get out of way---and nothing happens....when some idiot is trying to run you down. Result could hurt. OEM may be cheapest in long run
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 10:10 am

This 'Kevlar' belt business keeps coming up; by all accounts, all belts have Kevlar in. The non-OEM companies use 'Kevlar' as a selling-point, pure and simple.
Twelve years of frequenting maxiscooter forums has convinced me that in value-for-money terms, OEM belts are best.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 10:42 am

On the subject of drive belts, i have changed belts twice, on my Wing (each time using the Gates belt) and have had no problems. My son in law rides a 650 Burgman and the belt is supposed to last the lifetime of the machine. If Burgman (or their supplier) can produce such a belt i wonder why Honda cannot.Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 am

Old Limey wrote:
On the subject of drive belts, i have changed belts twice, on my Wing (each time using the Gates belt) and have had no problems. My son in law rides a 650 Burgman and the belt is supposed to last the lifetime of the machine. If Burgman (or their supplier)  can produce such a belt i wonder why Honda cannot.Smile  

The Burgy belt doesnt work anywhere near a hard as SW belt. The Burgy belt only operates one pulley while the clutch and gear train take the stress and drive the rear wheel. The SW belt is the transmission. Not only does it drive the rear pulley but it also takes all the stress and load of the variator and driven pulley expansion & contraction. In the SW all of the stress is handled by the belt, and as such the belt is the weak link in the drive chain.

Dunno if this makes any sense, but it's the best explanation I can offer.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 12:07 pm

It makes sense to me . Many thanks for the explanation Cosmic Jumper. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Hello again Old Lancastrian, you do know that unlike the Silver Wing and it's conventional 'rubber band' belt, the 650 Burgman has a Dry Hybrid Composite Belt. I've just counted and it consists of 204 pieces of H shaped high-strength aluminium block embedded with a pair of heat-resistant rubber tension members, and covered in resin. In theory it should last the life of the Burgman. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Hello Meldrew! Delighted to see you back. Very interesting this belt business. Iam not too good just now, came off the Silverwing on Wednesday, after a pleasant day in Southport. I recon about £600 pounds worth of damage to the bike, and i've got a broken wrist.Smile
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Oh bugger, I hope it heals enough not to spoil your festive plans bud
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes, I was sorry to hear about Old Limey's mishap and I hope his wrist mends well and doesn't give him any problems in future. My left wrist is a bit crooked from a compound fracture I suffered in the 80’s.

If you're reading this mate, I bet you're currently annoyed and p***** off that this happened to you with all your years of riding experience, and hopefully the wrist you broke isn't the one you favour for bodily functions etc. Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Old Limey,

I hope your wrist heals and your SWing will be ok.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 3:39 am

Old Limey, hope you get the use of your wrist back to normal soon.
Meldrew, welcome back, your droll humour will be appreciated again.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 7:09 am

Hi Kurt, I'm hoping my droll humour can cope after Christmas when three of Mrs Meldrew's Aussie relations come and stay with us for a few days. They're from Perth WA too, they're flying to the UK Business Class yet seem to be avoiding staying in hotels like the plague.

I've never met them but Mrs M's Aussie auntie also from Perth stayed with us in the Summer. I bet she's told everyone we're posh here in York because our house doesn't have a corrogated tin roof, now they all want to come!  Smile
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 7:41 am

Meldrew wrote:

I bet she's told everyone we're posh here in York because our house doesn't have a corrogated tin roof, now they all want to come!  Smile
Posh?? What are they gonna think when they realise you haven't got a dunny in the back yard!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 8:05 am

I've thought about that, I've bought a couple of plastic Funnel Web spiders off eBay to hang in the downstairs cloakroom "dunny", I'll take the lightbulb out, turn the radiator up full blast, and discreetly hide a cloth dampened with Jeyes Fluid for that authentic scent. If that doesn't make them homesick nothing will. We've got one of these water saving Eco dunnys so I can't risk blocking it with the torn up squares of newspaper they're used to. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 10:42 am

I trust you will be doing them a christmad dinner on the barby wearing your brightest pair of budgie smugglers bud :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 11:34 am

Thankyou for your good wishes. I broke my left wrist, the same one i broke 30yrs ago, Iam feeling sorry for myself, as with all accidents, in hind sight, it could have been avoided. Damage to my bike, headlight broken, left upper panel and lower panel,and front mudguard all need replacing. As it is i cannot claim on insurance so expensive as well as painful. No fool like an old fool EH! Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: New belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Sorry to hear the news Old Limey, I hope that your wrist heals OK, the scooter is replaceable unlike ourselves !!  Your dignity will no doubt follow.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, here we are again - back off topic.

That didn't take long. Wink
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Belt....Belt....BELT       OK, back on topic.   Laughing But the side road was interesting. Just like riding. small moped small moped
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:46 pm

MikeO wrote:
Well, here we are again - back off topic.

That didn't take long. Wink

But, but.... What if the belt broke and he broke his wrist when he fell off his bike on the side of the road? scratch
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Sorry about that Mike O. I was pleased to see Meldrew back,and my comments were made for him, forgetting that other people might be interested in my situation(that's why i didn't mention it as a topic). Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm sorry you've had an accident and are injured but relieved it's not worse.
I wish you a speedy recovery, of course. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Old Limey wrote:
Sorry about that Mike O. I was pleased to see Meldrew back,and my comments were made for him, forgetting that other people might be interested in my situation(that's why i didn't mention it as a topic). Smile

You should put your other forum hat on and tell the Muppets about your mishap, you're well known on there. Can you still peel an orange in your pocket with your good hand! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Belt on the block   aftermarket  oem belt - New Belt on the block I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Belt on the block
Page 1 of 1