Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!

Go down 
+15
Osprey
RichG
Dimond
jwt827
Meldrew
ebear695
yammer
Winger61
bikerboy
MikeO
model28a
Cosmic_Jumper
Silver Dave K
john grinsel
cotetoi
19 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  Empty
PostSubject: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Does anyone else have a major pain in the butt checking the rear tyre pressure? I sure do: having to kneel down, wrap an arm around the tyre to steady that stalk and apply pressure to make sure that the gauge makes good contact; and I still let out more air than necessary and have to hook up the compressor. Repeat the entire procedure all over because , again, I fail to take a good reading because the damn stalk did not make proper contact and on and on it goes.... I am sure my neighbors get a bellyful of laughs with my Benny Hill routine. It got so bad this time that my roids have flared up, spoiling my ride.
Seriously, I am in need of some advice because I really put great faith in proper tyre pressure and this routine is wearing me out. That small rear wheel is cramped by the disc and I can only find room when the stalk is at the very bottom.
I have a digital reader and a pencil one and they are both awkward at that angle.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Using stock valve stem (OEM) with cheap pencil gauge check pressure While LAYING ON GROUND, have air source at ready in case air needed.

Now to get true/good reading check after bike has rested overnite.

I am old (75) and stiff at times---laying down works best----on lift checking tire pressure in rear can still be pain in butt requiring some funny bending. If getting a little dirty laying on ground bothers, probably shouldn't be on bike in 1st place.

Once wheel is in proper place to reach valve---set parking brake!
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Could always buy an air lift!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 pm

I'm currently enduring the same anguish due to a slow leak at the tire valve where it passes thru the wheel.

What you need is a tire valve extension hose. There are several versions out there, most commonly for RVs or Duallly trucks. However the hoses for those usually have a screw-on fitting not any larger than the valve cap itself. So they are only a marginal improvement over what you're already experiencing.

I ordered this "Air valve extension with hose". AFAIK (As Far As I Know) it comes as an assembly of two pieces: A right angle Schrader valve extension, with an easy to grip larger end to screw on the tire valve and a hose extension with Schrader valves also. Here is a link for either the right angle extension itself, or the extension w/ hose: http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/searchresults

Maybe there is something similar in Canada. HTH

Meanwhile I also bought a new right angle tire valve from Honda and have got to pull the rear wheel again and have the new valve installed.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 1:41 am

Tim direct a link to the parts would help. That's a big site to look through.  Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 4:20 am

I bought one of these - it's longer than appears in the pictures.
I don't suppose it's ideal but it relieves some of the strain on the valve itself when a pump is attached:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connect-35084-210mm-Michelin-Extension-Flexible/dp/B007SU940M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408522647&sr=1-1&keywords=tyre+valve+extension

I know it's the UK Amazon site (from where I bought mine) but I expect the US site has them too.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Checking the rear tyre pressure   Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 am

I always ended up lying on the floor to do this !  The metal valves (Ariete) were more rigid but access was still awkward.  I usually managed to lose some air when screwing extensions off and on so negating their use.  It's a pity that this job is so tricky and off-putting as it it's one of the routine ones that is essential.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 5:09 am

Yes, it's not easy!
I find fitting the extension minimizes the loss of air when pumping up the tyres as the valve in the end stops the inital 'leak' and one can so much more easily push on the pump nozzle as one is less hampered by the wheel.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 5:15 am

model28a wrote:
Tim direct a link to the parts would help. That's a big site to look through.  Smile

Could be this one?

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/drc-air-valve-extension-with-hose/368

Graham
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 am

model28a wrote:

Oops, I thought that the link I pasted above was the full link to the parts. But there I go, trying to think after 9:PM again...

Thanks Graham, you found the full link. Hopefully that will be of help to others.

Tim

"Moe, I keep think'n & think'n but nuttin's happening", Curly.
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Next time you change your tyres ask for a 90 degree tyre valve. Adaptors are also available but I do advise on having your wheels balanced afterwards.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm

I thank you all for the great feedback. I am not averse to getting a bit of dirt on myself, and it seems most of us are the same. I am not about to get a bicycle because of this. I will check out the options you all suggested and see if I can make things a little easier; but I definitely will be motorbiking; thanks for the advice, John.
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 2:06 pm

there is a valve replacement made by "curvy girl" 45* and 90*, next tire replacement put one of these in. also get a gauge that has a length of hose and a 90* end, much easier to use
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 12:03 pm

I just wanted to follow up on Graham's referral to the "DRC Air Valve with Hose Extension".

I ordered one last week from Wheeling Cycle Supply and received it two days later. It is exactly the 'tool' that is needed to handle the cumbersome job of adding air or checking the rear tire pressure.

The item is actually two pieces: a 90° right angle extension which screws on to the tire valve and can be used in that manner, and a ~6" extension that can be used separately to extend the tire valve. Both pieces have Schrader valves so can be combined or used individually.

I also ordered a pair of metal 90° valve stems from Kurvy Girl which ebear695 mentioned. I'll have to wait until it's new-tire time to see how they work out. I do hope that they aren't too tall for the limited space between the rear wheel and the brake disc.

Tim

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/drc-air-valve-extension-with-hose/368
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 2:38 pm

On all five maxi scooters I've owned they've all had angled tyre valves on the rear wheel and they've all been a ball ache to check and pump up the rear tyre pressure.

My old Michelin foot pump packed in recently, it had one of those crap lever clamp connectors which are all right when they're new but give a far less effective seal to the tyre valve once they're worn.

I was poking around in my local Halfords for a replacement pump when the new style Michelin twin-cylinder foot pumps caught my eye. Apart from the fancy tyre tread casing and digital pressure gauge they've now got a screw on connector which works exactly the same way as screwing the dust cap onto the valve.

It's an improvement on the lever clamp connector and it's still a load of faffing about on your hands and knees but now I find I'm only using up half my swear word vocabulary! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jwt827
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 pm

I bought a 90 degree metal valve stem at a tire supply store and installed it turned to the left side of the rear wheel,you don't have to fight your way around the brake disk.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:36 am

I tried one of those on my Helix many years ago, it's been gathering dust at the bottom of a tool box since the end of the 20th Century. I found it was as useful as Tyre Pressure Indicator Valve Caps, Grip Puppies, and the Go-Cruise Throttle Lock. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 am

I received the 90° valve stems from Kurv Girl yesterday. They are the correct size for our wheels, in fact, they are actually 85° stems made by Enkei and that difference in degrees may make it a little easier adding air. At $10/pair they've pretty inexpensive. On the down side the stems weigh 28gm each so that might make for some serious tire balancing. I can't imagine Ride-On tire sealant alone being able to offset that much weight.

http://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=72
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:07 pm

I went with the Kurvey Girl 90s (metal stem) and use a bike tire pump with an air gauge on it - easy to connect to valve stem with a readout of air pressure each time you pump it - usually before every ride I check it and it will typically take a pump or two to bring it up to proper pressure.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 am

MikeO wrote:
I don't suppose it's ideal but it relieves some of the strain on the valve itself when a pump is attached:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connect-35084-210mm-Michelin-Extension-Flexible/dp/B007SU940M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1408522647&sr=1-1&keywords=tyre+valve+extension

I know it's the UK Amazon site (from where I bought mine) but I expect the US site has them too.

Just had mine delivered this morning - haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks like a useful piece of kit.
I can't believe Amazon UK's packaging though. The extension pipe itself is about 8" long, 1/2" diameter, about the size of a ballpoint pen - it came in a cardboard envelope 13" by 9"!!
The mind boggles!!

Graham.

Last edited by Winger61 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 am

I had a pvc apron delivered from Amazon recently - same size box. Crazy!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 10:21 am

MikeO wrote:
I don't suppose it's ideal but it relieves some of the strain on the valve itself when a pump is attached:<>

Thanks for that suggestion Mike. The same item is listed in our Amazon site:

http://www.amazon.com/Connect-35084-Valve-Extensions-Flexible/dp/B00AG4FCXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409321641&sr=8-1&keywords=Connect+35084+tire+valve+extension
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Yep! That's the one. Smile
Back to top Go down
RichG
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 9:29 pm

I purchased a Straight Valve Stem Extension from Harley Davidson web site. it is a flexible 12 inch long
Extension that screws onto the tire valve stem, the compressor or air pressure gauge connects to other end. Makes checking tire pressure and adding air very easy. IMHO it is much better than using the 45 degree adapters. The Harley Part number is 42300009, Price $10.95
Harley is the only business where I could find this item.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 1:17 pm

Figure this is best place to ask.

What tire pressure gauge should I use as I don't have a compressor? Hand pump emergency use for travel. I've never had a hand pump with an accurate gauge.

There is a station down the hill with free air that I use at home.

The previous owner of my Swing put in a 90 degree valve. I thought that was standard. Really wouldn't like straight through the rim valve on rear tire. Yikes! I have a hard time with just that. It is pointed toward the brake disc. Have to move bike for the ideal to get to ideal spot.

I like RichG's Harley flex extension idea. Look up part number on Harley website and they still have it.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 2:02 pm

Osprey, I still have original tire valves on my SWing and use a cheapy tire gauge. The end is at 90 degrees and fits good. In my opinion, any gauge that fits relatively easily onto the valve stem works. The gauge I use cost me $.99 at the auto parts store years ago. Also, in my opinion, the exact tire pressure isn't as critical as both tires being close to correct. I've checked my cheap gauge with my expensive gauge and it's within a couple of pounds. Just like on my 4 wheeled vehicles, if the gauge reads 32 psi on all four tires that's good enough for me. Maybe it's only 31 psi or maybe it's 33 psi but as long as they are all the same it's no big deal. Whatever gauge you decide on have it checked with a known accurate gauge to see where it falls then go from there. Just like on my trike. If both rear wheels read the same I'm good to go. But then that's just my opinion. You don't need an expensive gauge as long as you've had it checked and know what the +/- error is.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 3:21 pm

I bought one of those Harley extensions, and as luck would have it, I used it on my friend's bike the other day. He had picked up a nail from his own yard and after a few miles he was bobbing too much. A driver signalled that his rear tire was down. We slow rode to a gas station. His Suzuki C50 T has a cast wheel, but the angle of the valve made it almost impossible to get the honker of a tire inflator nozzle from the gas station on to it. No room between the wheel hub and the valve. I have a small compressor and said extension: hooked it up and got his flat up to 40 psi and hightailed it home. One thing I learned, though. Better hook up the extension to the compressor first and remove it while it is still attached to the compressor or you'll lose all your air from your tire.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks to ya both.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 6:12 am

I think checking rear tire pressure is the question.

Simple=get rid of the L shaped valve stem. Honda parts offers real short straight replacement valve for high speed. Good partsman should be able to find. Works for me, able to get gauge and chuck on easily. I think the L shaped stem put on the rear, thinking easier for the fat man to get it....when it really is pain in butt for everybody.

Safety Note: SilverWings are now old----rubber seal on stem aging, stem should be replaced anyway.Good tire shops do this on cars----bikes/ scooters in US often do not do quality tire work..... do it yourself to assure quality work.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 8:10 am

john grinsel wrote:
I think checking rear tire pressure is the question.

Simple=get rid of the L shaped valve stem.  Honda parts offers real short straight replacement valve for high speed.   Good partsman should be able to find.   Works for me, able to get gauge and chuck on easily.    I think the L shaped stem put on the rear, thinking easier for the fat man to get it....when it really is pain in butt for everybody.

That is what I did, John. I had Honda replace my rear tire last summer and asked them to replace the valve with the same one as on the front! They obliged. Much better, my only complaint is why I waited so long to fix this!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 8:47 am

Ha! I actually changed my front tire valve to a 90° stem. So, neener, neener neener to you kids.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 am

I must be like electricity because I always go with the path of least resistance.
I have an electric pump that has a non-digiital readout on it and also believe that the reading is close enough, that connects to the outlet in the glove box.
On the end, I installed Slime 20332 inflator hose adapter for $ 6.93 from Amazon that has an almost 5-star rating and it has a press on, lock connection so NO air escapes installing or removing.
Please don't ask for a direct link, because I don't know how.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 2:33 pm

I just replaced my rear tire and replaced the 90° valve stem with same. Because I use a TPMS from FOBO, I have to use the 90° stem. The straight stem will cause the TPMS caps to strike parts of the transmission. At least I don't have to get down on the ground to check the tire pressure, only when I need to add some air. I have had the pressure monitoring system for about seven years now and it has never failed me. I check the tire for nails about once a month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!    Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Checking the rear tyre pressure !!!
Page 1 of 1