Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... Empty
PostSubject: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:55 am

Hi everyone

I noticed recently the pressure was going down too much too quick in my tyres... I frequently check the tyres, no punctures, and the valve stem wasn't leaking as it has done in the past. This leaky tyre pressure is proving to be an ongoing problem especially over the winter months.... Eventually I was topping up the air every week. Anyway I needed a new rear tyre plus the scoot needs a new MOT (Ministry of Transport yearly road worthiness test) so took it in to get done and the mechanics said the bad tyre pressure was due to corrosion inside the wheel, and air was leaking out around the rim as a result. So I had the wheels powder coated....... Apparently that will fix it once and for all as the coating aswell as looking pretty, prevents corrosion....

Am still waiting for the back tyre.... (Michelin Pilot Sport) But in the mean time called in to have a look at the powder coated wheels, and they have done a great job.... The Wheels are stripped, sand blasted, then coated. The coat has a plasticky style finish, and I am assured is super durable.... So hopefully no more crappy tyre pressures for me..... But the wheels were badly corroded, you can see the pitting despite the powder coat. Check out my photos.. Sorry I only have pics of the finished wheel, and from my low res camera phone.

SO TAKE HEED, those of you that are riding through the winter and salted roads.... In the space of just one year, the insides of my wheels managed to deteriorate so much that the air began to leak out between the tyre and the rims. Last winter I had the tyres replaced so got to see the inside of the wheels and they were OK. But now about 10 -11 months later they have really corroded on the inside. The outside wasn't too bad cos I'd painted it with special aluminium paint, but I should have painted the inside too, or better still had them powder coated back then. The mechanics said it is a common problem, and scoots seems to suffer more than bikes. They added it was one of the worst they had seen. Lets hope Honda now fit decent bloody wheels to their new Silver Wings.

I shall be riding through the winter as normal when I get my S'wing back so will let you know how I get on and if the tyre pressures stay good.....

The photos are mostly of the back wheel, as the front wheel has got the tyre on (you can see it in the background of the pic of my wheel-less scoot as she sits all forlorn on the ramp....) Note the pitting on the back wheel!!

Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... IMAGE_089

Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... IMAGE_090

Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... IMAGE_091

Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... IMAGE_093
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Bernardo,

Did I miss the final outcome of this problem? Have you posted photos of the finished wheels somewhere?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Did you miss that Bernardo said he had only "after" photos?
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:36 am

Yes the photos here are indeed the wheels after they were powder coated! Believe me they were in a sad state thanks to all the corrosion from the ravages of winter riding and road salt... Now a few months since then and having seen the last few months of winter the powder coats have lived up to thier expectation, no more frequent tyre pressure issues, no corrosion and much easier to clean. :D
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:41 am

Jon, - yes I did, hence my post. My apologies.

I was most interested in the result of the powder coat relative to the tire pressure issue and did not recall seeing a follow up to that. Glad to see that powder coating resolved that issue.

Was changing the color an option and if so why did you not choose to go that route?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:24 pm

I could have changed the colour... I did think of bright yellow at one time but that may have looked a bit naff, so call me old fashioned, I decided in the end to stick with Silver, It is after all a Silver Silver Wing.....!

The powder coating is amazingly durable...... Where before dirt sticks and starts to corrode, now you can wipe it off with a bit of rag or kitchen towel even.... :D
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm sure that you know this, but for what it's worth, preparation is what is needed for either powder coating or plating. I had a frame of an old Yamaha 750 powder coated some years ago. The coating shop also did a lot of plating (chrome, nickel, etc.). They told me that the only difference between powder and metal plate as the final product was going to be price since the copper plate was not needed for the powder and the paint was less expensive than the other metals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....   Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corroded wheels and bad tyre pressure....
Page 1 of 1