Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tieing downs

Go down 
+4
hotwings
Dale N.
Meldrew
BillScooterDude
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 3:13 pm

We go for long trips in our RV pulling a trailer for our SW. I know the SW has tie down holes on the back frame but I have been using the handlebar hand grips to tie down the front. Does anyone else tie down the front another way. I have not been able to find any tie down holes on the frame in front.

Much appreciated.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 pm

On ferries I occasionally use a set of straps with soft sleeves that go over the handlebar grips with loops for tie-down strap hooks at the end. When the straps are secured to the deck and the the straps tensioned, the left strap secures the right handlebar and the right strap the left handle bar. There's also a Velcro strap in the kit to pull the front brake on, the same strap keeps the bundle tidy when the handlebar straps are folded up.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 6:22 pm

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1652-front-tie-down-location

This is how I tied down my SWing when I brought it back from FL in April. It worked great too! Although I used some nylon rope in place of the red straps to tie down the front. The reason for that is because I didn't have any straps to use. I guestimated on the length of the rope and tied square knots in them. I had to cut them off once we got home because the knots jammed up. The passenger handles in the back worked great to finish holding it. I used ratchet straps to apply tension to keep the Wing upright and stable. We didn't have one problem with it on the way back either.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm

So the hand grips is the only solution for securing the front, is that correct? Also Meldrew you crisscrossed the straps whats the reason for crisscrossing?

Bill
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm

9erfan wrote:
So the hand grips is the only solution for securing the front, is that correct? Also Meldrew you crisscrossed the straps whats the reason for crisscrossing?

Bill
Obviously you didnt click the link Dale N posted for you.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks Hotwings, no I did not click on Dales link. Man I learned a lot after doing so. Thanks Dale.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm

swing I use short soft straps over the lower triple tree on each side and motorcycle straps from there to tie downs in the floor. On the back I put a tie down across the rear of the seat to keep the rear from hoping around.
I have one of those tie downs that attach to the handle bars if someone wants it for $20.
Dave  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 pm

9erfan wrote:
Thanks Hotwings, no I did not click on Dales link. Man I learned a lot after doing so. Thanks Dale.

You are welcome. That's how I learned to do it. Lots of info on this site! I love it.
Back to top Go down
lynnpstl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a "canyon dancer". It is a cross strap to the handlebars to whatever tie down cable/rope you choose. I use mine whenever I travel and it works extremely well. If I knew how to upload pictures, I would send them with this text, Lynn
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 5:10 pm

I just moved two Swings in a trailer about 3,000 miles. I'll see if I can get pictures of the rear mount - a bar thing someone really good at fabrication made for me, that essentially ties the bikes together - it puts the force on the rear handgrips, but without putting force on the body panels. It basically tied the two bike's together in the back, so they couldn't tip side to side.

I used the harbor freight chocks for the front (the ones that are like the Condor (don't bother with any of the other HF chocks), and that gets your front secured well. I would never trailer a Silverwing without a *GOOD* front wheel chock. As for the front, I did Dale's method - I have Canyon Dancers, but never used them - too scared it will rotate the bars. You can put a ton of force on the front using Dale's method without damaging anything.

Some hints:
You don't need to worry about "blowing seals" in the front - there's no pressure in those front suspension when they aren't moving, even if compressed. It's not a gas shock. If someone noticed a leak after towing, that's unrelated to the force on the front suspension. But you'll hear people warn about this - don't worry about it, crank those straps down reasonably tight (but not on the bar ends - you will hurt your bars).

Another hint is to make sure to tape over any hooks that would allow a strap to come loose if you go over a bump.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Dale N. wrote:
9erfan wrote:

You are welcome. That's how I learned to do it. Lots of info on this site! I love it.

This is kind of funny, thanks Dale for linking to my post - Dale Laughing 

Which Dale are y'all referring to?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 7:42 pm

jdeereanton: Does it really matter? Pretty much anyone with the name "Dale" is very smart and knowledgeable! That's my story and I'm sticking to it....
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 2:05 pm

Razz 
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

Tieing downs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tieing downs   Tieing downs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tieing downs
Page 1 of 1