Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tieing Down The SWing?

Go down 
+2
honda_silver
billmc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Tieing Down The SWing? Empty
PostSubject: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Guys,

Once again I'm looking for advice. I dropped the scooter off for service last week, it'll be ready tomorrow. (The day after I dropped it, I went out to ride and the back tire was flat. Apparently both tires were dried and cracked. I guess I'm lucky it didn't go while I was on it. Just having gotten it, and having no records, they're going through the entire thing for me.)

Anyway, I've purchased a carrier that mounts into a trailer hitch receiver. I can use it on the pickup and the RV. I bought a set of cargo straps that go around both grips on the handlebars. Then from there, on both sides, a strap runs forward and one runs aft. It seemed to work OK, but as I tightened the straps, to me, it seem as if I was putting to much tension on the handlebars. I'm thinking of another pair of straps leading from the passenger handles straight down.

Has anyone used something like this? Is there a "correct" way to tie the bike down?

As always, thanks for the help.
Bill
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:12 pm

billmc wrote:
I bought a set of cargo straps that go around both grips on the handlebars. Then from there, on both sides, a strap runs forward and one runs aft. It seemed to work OK, but as I tightened the straps, to me, it seem as if I was putting to much tension on the handlebars.

Putting too much tension on the handlebars can bend the handlebars. Read https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/front-tie-down-location-t1652.htm
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Bill,

Have you used the carrier yet? The SW exceeds the weight of most of the class 3 (500lbs) receiver type carriers (except class 4 type). Another concern is the weight distribution. The bulk of the bike weight is further back than most motorbikes that have the engine centered on the frame causing a rocking motion. Most heavy duty carriers have a anti-tilt device which will reduce or eliminate this. Tie-down should always be 4 point 2 front 2 rear. The passenger handrails are a great place to tie off the rear. Like Bill points out too much stress will bend the handlebars. I (and others) use the top of the steering stem (top of the fork) to tie down the front.

Here is the scoot on the trailer. You will notice the front ratchet hook is attached to a red strap that disapears up under the front fairing.
Tieing Down The SWing? IMG_0021

I loop the extension straps around the steering stem, keeping clear of the brake lines.
Tieing Down The SWing? IMG_0402-1

These are the extension straps, about $6 most places. They keep the ratches hooks away from the body panels.
Tieing Down The SWing? 45214-10_L
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:01 pm

That's exactly the same way I used to tie down my GoldWing when I had to trailer it. The only difference is that I used 6 straps, the extra 2 hooking to the engine guards because the GW is substantially heavier than the SWing. This is a VERY effective way to get the job done. Any bike shop will have the extension straps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:10 pm

My hubby and I trailered our Silverwings to MN (from near Cincinnati, OH) about 900 miles this summer to a scooter rally. We really struggled trying to tie them down and not rub paint somewhere. We got the piece that goes around the handlebars and then it ties forward from the ends of the handlebars. The strap keeps pressure off the handlebars. We bought a Kendon double trailer and they did have a place for the front wheel to go in but we had to remove the piece that holds the back tire secure since it was rubbing up under the bikes. We did find some hooks under the back fender but it was hard to keep the back tires secure. We had to unload my bike once since it bounced, was leaning, and we could not move it at all. We learned a lot and hopefully will get better as we go!!!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:14 am

I know it's not quite the same but on the Cross-Channel Ferries bikes are tied down with one strap across the front seat - special ones are provided with a cushion to go under the strap to protect the seat.
They are ratchet straps and pulled very tight.
Usually, bikes are parked on the side-stand and do not fall over.
Of course, more straps would be needed for trailering but I can vouch for the secure nature of the system.
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Hey Guys, lot's of good input.

I took a look at the link that Bill had posted https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/front-tie-down-location-t1652.htm and saw the pictures there, pretty much the same what Paul shows. I did tie it down this way the next time and it was much better. The fella at the Honda dealership told me I should put the tension on the front first. I have come off the passenger hand rails in the back going straight down. This arrangement seems to work pretty good.

The carrier I bought is a Versa Hauler. I guess they make several models, mine is rated for 600 lbs. It does have an anti tilt device. Now I've used it twice so far, and it was hanging off the back of the pickup, both times, I have been planning on using it on the back of the RV as well. I couldn't find precisely what class of hitch is on the pickup, its factory, but has a tongue weight of 600 lbs so I'm guessing its capable. The only trouble I have is the Swing covers the truck's taillights.

I haven't put it on the RV yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll be OK there. Next time I've got it mounted, I'll take some pics and show you.

By the way Paul, that is very pretty. 2003, looks like you take good care of it.

I'm going to start another thread with more questions, go look. Maybe this equipment might be available.
Bill
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tieing Down The SWing?   Tieing Down The SWing? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:40 am

THANKS guys. You are a great and wonderful resource for us newbies.

I tried to pick up my SW from the Harley Shop that did the state inspection and they had no idea how to tie down the scooter in the back of my pickup. The teen assigned to the job wanted to run a strap across my gas tank cover and another over the top of the seat. Then the parts lead came out and he wanted me to stand it on the kick stand or rear stand. Exactly what so many web advice places say not to do with any bike.

And it would not with the rear end facing forward so at home I would have to back it up a questionable ramp and UP a hill after the ramp to keep the ramp somewhat level. And after feeling the bike again I was also not sure if my tie-down points on the truck will hold it - they look too flimsy.

l told them I needed to sleep on it and left the bike there.... they were very polite and accommodating about it.

So tomorrow I am going to splurge $15 on the smallest U-Haul an follow your instructions for strapping down.

Thanks again.
Adam
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org

Tieing Down The SWing?
Page 1 of 1