Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front fork tie-down tool?

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
riveteer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
riveteer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Front fork tie-down tool? Empty
PostSubject: Front fork tie-down tool?   Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 am

Greetings to all;
Here's a question for anyone who has put their SWing into the back of a pickup truck.... Are there methods of preventing the front forks from being compressed during the tie-down process?

Here's some details: We've recently brought out 2006 SWing from Canada south to Arizona (Quartzite). Upon arrival, I see one of the fork tube's has dripped a bit of oil, and I'm thinking it was because of the fork compression which was maintained over a number of days during transit.
So I'm looking to prevent the front forks from compressing, yet still allow the SWing to be tied and secured in the bed of the truck. Any thoughts?
In past years, on other motorcycles, I've seen blocks of wood placed between the front wheel and the tripletree to perform this same shipping tool function. But I'm thinking there might be a way to make a tool for each fork tube out of some PVC pipe which will do the same job (but not damage the front fender).

Thanks for your thoughts and replies.

Kev

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Front fork tie-down tool?   Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am

While others will chime in about the "proper" way to tie down a bike for transit, if using a 2"x4" block of wood between the wheel & 'triple tree' works. Why not go that way. It's not all that difficult to remove the front.
fender.

BTW you're going to need to remove that fender in order to remove the fork tube to replace that leaking fork seal. It's doable without pulling the entire front body. Just be sure to break the pinch bolts loose while the scoot wheel and weight is on the ground. Very few tools required.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Front fork tie-down tool?   Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 am

I have hauled bikes around in my pickup for years. Never used the "block of wood" method. I strap the bike/scoot down but not so tight to bottom forks. My logic is to leave just a little play so they can flex a bit if needed. Every night on the road I loosen the straps to remove pressure on the forks. Re-tighten before leaving in the morning. I too used to blow seals but so far haven't using the above method!

BTW if you are in Quartzsite we are only 100 miles apart... Hint, hint.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Front fork tie-down tool?   Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm

There's a tool available at cycle gear, currently $10 but regularly $20.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/Fork_Brace/web1007453

I can't guarantee it works.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Front fork tie-down tool?   Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 5:43 pm

You actually want the bike to be able to ride its shocks so that they will absorb bumps and prevent damage. When tying down, the rule of thumb is about 1/2 compression so that there is some play to absorb bumps. If you prevent any travel, you risk more damage to the bike than a leaky shock.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Front fork tie downs   Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 am

A few years ago, someone one this forum recommended and I bought, a pair of nylon, green straps from Walmart for around $ 6.00 a pair.
They are about 2 ft long and wrap around the forks themselves rather than having to attach something to your handle bars. and put pressure on the tubes.
Then, all you need are the come-a longs, or tie downs that attach securely to straps.
I have never had to use them as of yet but when I was towed years ago by a tow truck I never wanted to have my bike strapped down again like that. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front fork tie-down tool?   Front fork tie-down tool? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front fork tie-down tool?
Page 1 of 1