Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cost of good riding gear

Go down 
+4
ScooterBJ
GHM-PM
hotwings
SilverwingInIdaho
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Cost of good riding gear Empty
PostSubject: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 1:47 am

Was looking at Scorpion Jackets on ebay. $350 dollars wow. Went to local cycle shop and same story.

That's a lot of money for a jacket. I looked at the tag inside. Made in Viet Nam. 350.00 and made in Viet Nam? Really?

They promised the consumer "cheaper goods" with all those free trade deals. I have yet to see any. They work kids in some sweat shop, and then after I traded my good paying job in manufacturing they want to sell me a Jacket made in Viet Nam and expect me to pay for it with my new service job pay check.

Is it just me of have we experienced bait and switch? Maybe I should get all mad and go flip some burgers or something.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 6:37 am

Stay calm, everything is going to be ok. Go get a Joe Rocket mc jacket. Protective pieces inside the elbows and back, removable lining for the warm days, adjustable waist band, tons of pockets, vents that zip open if required, looks sharp, different styles available, $150 at a mc shop in NY state! I dont care where it was made!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 8:15 am

Another good option is Cycle Gear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw0a2eBRDVrabv9vWJ90USJACsKRDH452TXVUqPPfDeG6_hI3Kn-NewUONGilqITt8XqRu4hoCuXjw_wcB

They have great prices and sales frequently. Lots of retail stores but you can order on line as well. Gear may still be made in Taiwan or Viet Nam but at least the prices will be good. I have a "Blaze" mesh jacket by Bilt and it is the most comfortable motorcycle jacket I own. Think I paid $89.00 and it has armor! Good luck.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 10:00 am

I am an "All the gear, all the time" rider and know how expensive gear can be. I am also a habitual tightwad and with a bit of work, find great deals on riding gear. First, I tend to buy during the winter and troll for 1-2 seasons back styles and closeouts online -- still new, but just not the latest style. My warm weather jacket is a Scorpion and I paid $89US with free ship.

I also buy from Craigslist, Ebay and even thrift stores. There are tons of people that buy gear and decide they are not riders after all. Thus their gear is like new. My cold weather adventure style Tour Master jacket was lightly used and bought off Craigslist for $35US. Original cost was about $250. Joe Rocket armored mesh pants came off Ebay for $50US. My leather boots are good quality, touring specific and originally sold for $225US. I found them in a thrift store on senior discount day and paid $22US.

I teach my MSF students that cost is no excuse for proper gear, then show examples. However, I WOULD NEVER, EVER BUY A USED HELMET, which would just be bad news. Besides, I wear a 3XL modular and HJC is one of the few companies that fit.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks for the tips I will look into those links!
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 3:10 pm

I got this from an ebay seller on why the prices are high. Anti trust laws come to mind. I guess everyone is doing it now days.

They published a MAP policy, we mist list at the price they give us as a dealership. I'm sure I can save you some money on it though. I will message you Monday with some sort of offer. thanks and talk with you then.

- mositesmotorsportspartsexpress
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 4:27 pm

[quote="ScooterBJ"]

I teach my MSF students that cost is no excuse for proper gear, then show examples. However, [b]I WOULD NEVER, EVER BUY A USED HELMET[/b], which would just be bad news. Besides, I wear a 3XL modular and HJC is one of the few companies that fit.[/quote]

I was under the impression that it is illegal to sell a used helmet.  :flower: :flower: 

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 4:33 pm

[quote="joncallihan"]
ScooterBJ wrote:

I was under the impression that it is illegal to sell a used helmet.   :flower: :flower: 

Jon

Not to my knowledge. I see them all the time in thrift shops and on Craigslist and eBay etc. Would I buy a used helmet? H*ll no!
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 4:40 pm

joncallihan wrote:
I was under the impression that it is illegal to sell a used helmet.   :flower: :flower:   Jon

That I have no answer for, and I also see them for sale used all the time. If it were illegal, likely it would be one of those obscure laws that never get enforced, like no greased pig contests on Sunday.......
 pig pig pig pig pig pig
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Oh no here I sit with my greased pig and I have to wait until tomorrows contest.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 7:55 am

model28a wrote:
Oh no here I sit with my greased pig and I have to wait until tomorrows contest.  Razz 

Yup, I know the agony!
Cost of good riding gear 5183d8cb97956.image
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 6:55 am

I found and just bought one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121375641718?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a close out. I like the scorpion Commander slightly better but there is little difference in style and function while there is a huge difference in price. Asked my step daughter which one she liked better and she picked the Scorpion. She has such a fashion sense!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
 I found and just bought one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121375641718?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a close out. I like the scorpion Commander slightly better but there is little difference in style and function while there is a huge difference in price. Asked my step daughter which one she liked better and she picked the Scorpion. She has such a fashion sense!

Very nice! I love the hi-vis look. We need all the help we can get on two wheels. I use a cheap day-glo vest over my jackets to get some visibility! Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Agree!   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 5:15 pm

hotwings wrote:
. Go get a Joe Rocket mc jacket.!

I wear a JR Phoenix jacket in summer and a JR coat in winter. Everything Joe Rocket makes looks top quality to me.
Back to top Go down
kenvb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kenvb

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 12:00 am

I bought our Hi Visilbility coats on Amazon.

Cost of good riding gear Motorcyclejacketyellow_zps2effad47
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 am

kenvb wrote:
I bought our Hi Visilbility coats on Amazon.

Cost of good riding gear Motorcyclejacketyellow_zps2effad47

What did that one run you?
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Well I no sooner bought a high viz jacket then saw one I really liked a whole lot better. Is there a for sale section on this site? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cost of good riding gear   Cost of good riding gear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cost of good riding gear
Page 1 of 1