Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rollers or Belt Problem?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 pm

All,
Scoot' details: '08, 9,500 Miles (16,000Km).
Well maintained with original belt and rollers. Mostly highway riding at 75 - 90 MPH (120 - 145 KPH).
When I accelerate hard from ~40 MPH (65KPH) I hear a suttle "growling" sound and the scoot' accelerates slower for a bit. Sounds and feels like the belt is slipping.
Anyone had this issue before? Seems early for a belt. Scoot' has always vibrated like most SW's from stop. Noticed the vibration ( but not the "growl") goes away for a little while after extended highway riding.
Thanks!
Greg
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Clutch chattering probably. Try deglazing the clutch pads and bell.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Roger.
Can this be done with a brief application of throttle and brake?
Thanks,
Greg
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Could be the belt is contacting the belt housing, and you're hearing mild belt slap. I would pull the belt casing, inspect the belt, pull the variator to clean the inner and outer faces, remove the inner face and clean the ramp and rollers with brake cleaner. Don't use any type of lubrication on any parts on reassembly except the variator nut. The nut gets an oil coating before proper torquing.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks BB.
I'll try the deglazing first, because it only takes a moment.
Greg
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 8:05 am

Running engine up against brakes works for me----I don't bother taking apart anything until belt change time----my experience is 10 new rubber band drive scooters and now over 300,000 miles.

Just ride/change belt at Honda recommend time with OEM parts----My first Helix had rear clutch trouble(as did 3 of the 4 I bought ) warranty paid. Burgman 400 outer rear bearing and whole bunch of other parts=warranty @ 20,000 miles. SilverWing on second one (leftover)=no troubles, have to run engine up at against brakes now and then...may be riding too easy. Belt slap now and then that just seems to be part of deal

My current SilverWing had vibration at 40 mph steady for first maybe 4,000 miles---now gone away at 11,000 miles. I do not worry

Do think belts just getting older can be issue but....have only broken one underway since 1990 (Helix)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 10:22 am

john grinsel wrote:
have to run engine up at against brakes now and then...may be riding too easy.   Belt slap now and then that just seems to be part of deal

Belt slap doesn't have to be part of the deal.
It disappears if one replaces the stock rollers with Dr. Pulley sliders.
I have a tough time with locking the front brake and applying full throttle to the engine. The smell of burning clutch pad friction material is not my favourite odour. But I also don't have hundreds of thousands of "rubber band miles" either.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 7:41 pm

When I first got my Silverwing I did the "front brake and applying full throttle" thing and even though it worked I too wasn't comfortable with "the smell of burning clutch pad friction material" myself. I found out all that was really needed was to give more throttle when taking off then adjust the throttle for the speed I wanted to go. Now I rarity get the chatting and if I do it disappears quickly after I ride a little.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rollers or Belt Problem?   aftermarket  oem belt - Rollers or Belt Problem? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rollers or Belt Problem?
Page 1 of 1