Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase   Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:39 am

My new, leftover 2013 SilverWing Purchase is pleasing me----and is my second new SilverWing.

I treat/ride and enjoy it as scooter. Some points again:

1. could have saved cost of GIVI rack and bolted my old GIVI box direct to rear "spoiler" AND weight would have ended up a little lower

2. GIVI Adjustable Windshield=as good as it is going to get on Maxi scooter. Not perfect but works better than the others I have thrown money away on----But I think next time I have $300 to play with would like to try Madstad. I set shield in lowest position LOOK WAY OVER----ridden in one snow storm this spring at TN/VA border---would like to see people with big sail/looking thru in these weather conditions. Recalling I have bought 4 of these GIVI screens over the years.

3. SilverWing is not sub for real motorcycle for me---I enjoy it as scooter....the dry feet thing and wonderful dry storage.

4. 3,000 miles now= no warranty claims. Want to pull plugs and put Never Seize on threads. Bike will not go back to dealer unless it breaks!!

5. Tires=like IRC but will replace rear with Michelin SC.....based on $50 price and good long performance on previous Burgman....and wearing round. Expect 10,000 or more miles on rear.
This year have 3 long rides---Hymer AK, Maine, CA----will attempt to start from Chattanooga with fresh rubber----having dealer changing tire on trip enroute was real mess!! Only HD and BMW dealers probably have the right tires in stock and do it right?

6. Oil going back to WalMart house brand 10-40....maybe even 10-30 Energy Conserving----dry clutch/water cooled---should work same as in car. Rottella in now, because what was quick locally available. WalMart stuff has worked well in past for me, 500,000 miles worth.

Some Comments: Yesterday rode 240 miles in TN/GA mountains---nice roads BUT think in hot season bear some watching---"Tar Snakes" could/can be slippery. Saw a couple of scooters only...both with training wheels!! Followed a couple, each with new HD trike----think they were on them due to lack of 2 wheel skills----followed for awhile, don't think they understand anything about cornering force...until over they go!! Trikes tip----I had 2 Messerschmitts, so know. Funny I saw no Can Am.

SilverWing is "clothes" sensitive---- Wore my Stone Lake leather bibs---no pants flapping, keep lower back warm----Darien pants, while keep you dry, not as warm are not as all day comfortable as the leather bibs. Both pants I prefer to wear only thin long under wear under.

Boots vary....but Wolverine 11" pull on ok, Aerotich Combat Light= ok but not for hiking. Red Wing 8" Irish Setter...may all around favorite---all work fine on SilverWing footboards. Rain I like rubber overboots.

Helmets: SilverWing---like to carry two, 3/4 with Duck Bill for slow/easy/enjoyable but Freeway use 3/4 with built in Visor either Fulmer or Vega. Use earplugs about 90% of time.

This getting long winded...but...Older Riders...I am 75 of course see some shrinking cornering skills...Reflexes? But practice/practice. Should try a couple of quick stops from 80 mph. I prefer not linked brakes---the rear can be big balancing aide. ABS lifesaver in wet....can makeup for lack of skill and keep you at least upright.

Bottom Line: Although SilverWing is dated design, it is working well for me----and about $3,000 cheaper than Burgman 650 as leftover.
Will change belt at 20,000, plugs at 30-40 miles, trade before 50,000 so not worry about valve adjustment---Air Cleaner?? Drive case filter? Fuel ecomony---not as good as first SilverWing(in my mind?)
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase   Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 12:12 pm

John,

Nice write up / review. Buying the 2nd one and enjoying it says quite a bit about the Silverwing. I agree with you about the Silverwing, as is not the same as a motorcycle, but more functional.

I sold mine Silverwing and immediately got seller's remorse so I bought another one. I wish I had bought ABS on the 2nd purchase. I might buy one with ABS and sell mine, but I am very happy with the function of the scooter.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase   Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:25 pm

I've not had any trouble using the rear brake for settling the suspension / trail braking on here, even with the CBS. Little known fact: Honda put CBS on a professional race bike as first implementation of CBS - and I suspect those guys like control and know how to use front and rear brakes properly, probably a lot more properly than I do (or I would be professionally racing!).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase   Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 7:37 pm

I do not use rear brake for setting up suspension----I use as balance/maneuver aide/close quarter feet up riding. Example slow feet up U turn on narrow country road finding the ideal place to pee.

The linked braking system as set up by Honda, puts the rear on first----I did quite a bit of testing before my Reflex purchase--snow/ice/mud/dirt.....rear came on first. SilverWing does same---I forgot if my NT700V did.

Based on performance on several bikes/scooters with linked brakes still prefer me in charge. Burgman 400 brakes not linked, same as my TU 250, Helix ideal with right foot pedal (as well a Vespa 2 strokes--had 4)

Going a little faster than parking lot---rear can do wonders, bringing bike up-right---I don't like front getting in this act.

I am not afraid of linked brakes---they just take some of the control away from rider.

GOOD NEWS from yesterday----on final leg, 163 miles, gas reg with the corn stuff---56 mpg. Tail Wind/downhill? I think at 5,000 miles bike will be fully run in

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase   Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:32 pm

John,

Nice write up and thanks for sharing your experiences. You do ride alot that is for sure.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase   Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:59 pm

Linked braking has its place. The linked brake on the SW is great, except when you go into freefall (clutch dropping out) on a gravel or slippery twisty downhill.This is common on many downhill driveways as well. At very low coasting speeds all you have is your brakes. The linked brake has the rear coming on first, then the front, based on a time lag. It's not impossible, but a real PIA, especially if you have just gotten off a conventional motorcycle. Irrespective of personal choices as to whether or not it is desireable, Honda should consider a switchable overide so it can be selected to the conditions on hand.
Back to top Go down

Pleased with new SilverWing Purchase
Page 1 of 1