Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Disappointed!

Go down 
+6
bikerboy
Meldrew
dspevack
KurtPerthWA
"Hi Yo"
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 pm

One of the things I wanted to complete in 2013--ride to all 4 corners of US (did it about 20 years ago Helix, BMW K-75)-----did MA/Quebec (TU-250) Key West and BC with 400 Burgman in 2013------STARTED yesterday to SanDiego, thinking I could ride south from Chattanooga around the storms---heard new weather report on radio in my garage as I was leaving..."second ice storm coming!!"----in US south when it gets slippery=they don't know how to drive! and everything seems to shut down, so after working out brake problem in Dalton GA Suzuki Dealer, decided to turn around, having sat out ice storm in TX/LA when somebody else paid for it, I wasn't looking forward to sitting in motel on my own money. At least I am not trailer biker!!

Always looking for better ways to stay warm----did find out my Darien pants with only long underwear at 36-37 degrees F may not be all day warm, adding jeans and long underwear probably ok-----upper body for me only feather vest and feather jacket under Darien Jacket work---yesterday had "fashion vest" my wife bought=junk and quilted jacket bought in south=cold----this stuff again not all day warm, I have Aerostich electric bib.....but hate the hassle with wires, etc. At least my Burgman has stock plug in----my US market SilverWing did not.

I am from North, rode 20 years in Europe year 'round and 20 years, Japan/Korea so don't mind cold---side car nice in snow. ONE of the problems year 'round riders have is staying dry--otherwise snowmobile stuff would work. Rubber over Boots can keep feet warm, I have collection of warm mitts/some waterproof.....I have not purchased electric grips yet but think they in conjunction with Hippo Hands would be sweet deal.

If I try SanDiego later this month-----will wear my Stonelake leather bibs with long underwear and use my real feather vest and feather jacket under my Darien---but really cold I have old Joe Rocket XXL rain jacket, slick lining over feathers---lower legs legs=Joe Rocket XL rainpants over. Wet and Cold ain't FUN.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Disappointed! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 4:33 pm

John, since you are the expert, maybe you can explain how to ride on two to three inches of sheet ice. No snow, just solid ice. We poor southerners need your expertise. Personally, I stayed in the house. That is why we have houses. Of course most dumb southerners would have known to save the ride to Key West for last in case of a winter storm, but they aren't smart like you. I hope you have a window to make it to San Diego before the end of the year. A great accomplishment, even if you don't make the fourth corner. cheers  :not worthy: 
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 5:36 pm

It can be done...is done----see elephant rally in Europe----started 1956 if I remember right---in high school we used to ride out motorcycles on frozen Half Moon Lake-----my HarleyWLA 45 could fall down and not hurt itself.

Mail is delivered in rural Japan with bikes with chains on----some solo bikes are better in slippery conditions---for me Vespa PX series,150 being easier to control than 200. MZ ETZ, not bad either.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 5:15 am

John does have a valid point. Here in Perth WA, its fun to watch the average driver slipping and sliding all over the road on the first rain. Semi Desert dwellers seem to have problems with wet roads. I may add these roads also have a fine layer of dehydrated road grime which is nearly as slippery as ice. These locals just plough on like on any other day.
Drivers in Melbourne and the south east of Victoria usually have 4 seasons in a day, every day and seem to fare better because of better driving habits in adverse conditions (except fog) and the constant wet and windy weather helps keep the roads clean except in lower Gippsland where the dairy farmers trek wet clay mud onto the roads around Inverloch. (LOL).

I too watched "The Day After Tomorrow"
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 10:27 am

No wonder the English Settled Australia....The weather was just like home. LOL
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 pm

The English didn't settle Australia, the British shipped English, Scots, Welsh, and Irish convicts to penal colonies to an area they named New South Wales. Back in the present I'm sure Kurt will tell you that the climate in Perth WA, that's Western Australia, is completely different from New South Wales, the other Eastern States, and the UK. It's presently Summer in Australia and I've a vague recollection that the England Cricket Team is over there playing the Aussies for the Ashes...don't ask!  Rolling Eyes  I couldn't give a toss about how they're doing.  Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Disappointed   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Careful Meldrew, some people in Yorkshire think that cricket is a religion, disinterest is a heresy !!
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Our paper delivery guy rides his Honda Metropolitan every morning delivering papers here in Wisconsin. Even through the snow. While it is not the 4 corners of the US, I think it is still pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 3:42 pm

bikerboy wrote:
Careful Meldrew, some people in Yorkshire think that cricket is a religion, disinterest is a heresy !!

I think cricket is very civilised, what other sport feeds you. You ponce about in white clothing and schoolboy caps and play a bit, stop for a nice home-made Cricket Tea served up by nice old dears, then brush the crumbs off and play some more until 'bad light' stops play!  Smile
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 3:52 pm

john grinsel wrote:
----in US south when it gets slippery=they don't know how to drive! and everything seems to shut down
Seems as if everyone from the south must have gone up north. All I've been reading about the accidents and slippery roads in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Illinois makes me think that driving on ice is difficult no matter the region.

Or to put it in understandable language----grew up in north----Minnesota---learned to drive in snow, ice---lived in Europe, winter in Bad Tolz----snow everywhere, no accidents. Can drive and was in Army.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Meldrew: Thank you for the History lesson. I stand corrected.

From the Wit and Wisdom of "Smokey and the Bandit" (1977) :
"How dumb you are, depends upon what part of the country you're standing in."

Before anyone gets all offended, it makes sense, if you realize in context that 'dumb' is a stand-in word for 'uneducated':

Each of us grows up learning things native to our region.
Live in snow and ice and EVERYONE learns to drive on it out of necessity.
Live in a farm town? EVERYBODY learned to drive a tractor before a car.
Live in a seaside town? Swimming is a required skill.

EVERYBODY in town knows a particular skill because its part of local culture.
Go to a different area where core skills that are part of the local culture were not part of yours,
and you are the dummy.

So guys, while its fun to watch and laugh at people who don't know our core skills as they attempt them, be patient and less judgmental. Someday you will go some place where the locals will laugh at you too.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
 All I've been reading about the accidents and slippery roads in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Illinois makes me think that driving on ice is difficult no matter the region.

In my book a car crash or collision is not an accident. These incidents are avoidable with prudent driving and observation skills.
Lightning strikes, being struck by a meteorite, or falling toilet ice from a plane would qualify as accidents.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 am

john grinsel wrote:
One of the things I wanted to complete in 2013--ride to all 4 corners of US (did it about 20 years ago Helix, BMW K-75)-----did MA/Quebec (TU-250) Key West and BC with 400 Burgman in 2013------STARTED yesterday to SanDiego, thinking I could ride south from Chattanooga around the storms---heard new weather report on radio in my garage as I was leaving..."second ice storm coming!!"----in US south when it gets slippery=they don't know how to drive! and everything seems to shut down, so after working out brake problem in Dalton GA Suzuki Dealer, decided to turn around, having sat out ice storm in TX/LA when somebody else paid for it, I wasn't looking forward to sitting in motel on my own money.  At least I am not trailer biker!!

Always looking for better ways to stay warm----did find out my Darien pants with only long underwear at 36-37 degrees F may not be all day warm, adding jeans and long underwear probably ok-----upper body for me only feather vest and feather jacket under Darien Jacket work---yesterday had "fashion vest" my wife bought=junk and quilted jacket bought in south=cold----this stuff again not all day warm, I have Aerostich electric bib.....but hate the hassle with wires, etc.   At least my Burgman has stock plug in----my US market SilverWing did not.

I am from North, rode 20 years in Europe year 'round and 20 years, Japan/Korea so don't mind cold---side car nice in snow.  ONE of the problems year 'round riders have is staying dry--otherwise snowmobile stuff would work.   Rubber over Boots can keep feet warm, I have collection of warm mitts/some waterproof.....I have not purchased electric grips yet but think they in conjunction with Hippo Hands would be sweet deal.

If I try SanDiego later this month-----will wear my Stonelake leather bibs with long underwear and use my real feather vest and feather jacket under my Darien---but really cold I have old Joe Rocket XXL rain jacket, slick lining over feathers---lower legs legs=Joe Rocket XL rainpants over.     Wet and Cold ain't  FUN.

Too bad you cancelled your trip but I can see why.  Cold is cold.... and even with heated gear, roads get nasty in those conditions.  

I am heading for San Diego in less than a week, towing the Swing down there and will use the Swing for touring the area.  Also going to Phoenix as well.  Plan on camping most of the nights with a few nights at friends.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Disappointed! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disappointed!   Disappointed! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disappointed!
Page 1 of 1