Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop

Go down 
+3
tinman
Waspie
yahooie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop Empty
PostSubject: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

If you all are familiar with my situation, I recently changed my rollers to Dr. Pulley Sliders and had a problem with the variator but coming loose several times which caused some damage to the outer face plate of the variator and also the aluminum drive case. I was having some issues with a wobbling noise to begin with which is why I decided to go in there and make the change in the first place. Well, I was still having the noise so I brought it into the shop. I told them a local about the situation with the bolt coming loose and they diagnosed the problem as a bad bearing. They have me the estimate and also mentioned that since I had about 14000 miles suggested that I change the belt also. I purchased an extended warranty in the bike and after a few days they called me with the good news that they got the damage and the service covered by the warranty. They said all I had to pay was for the belt, a filter and the labor to install. I was fine with that. After a day or so as I am waiting for the parts I was thinking, wait a minute, they said the labor to change the parts is 2 hours and then they are charging me another hours labor ($100hr) to change the belt. Why would they be charging me an hours labor when they already are in there with the clutch off and the variator off why are they charging me an hour to change the belt? I could understand if they were just changing the belt but they already have it all disassembled. When I called and spoke to the manager about it he said that since they got the warranty company to cover the things that were my fault that they had to write the belt on a separate ticket or something to that effect to make sure the warranty company didn't question anything, but also made it seem like, hey we got this other stuff covered for you so you should just suck it up and pay the extra $100. Am I right in feeling like I am getting a raw deal or are they doing the right thing? I am greatful that they got the parts covered but honestly the variator face was only $42 and they should have covered the bearing with warranty. The only thing additional was the crank case aluminum cover which cost $288 and honestly I could have done without replacing it. So which is it. Am I getting a raw deal or should I just suck it up and be greatful that they are fixing the other parts under warranty?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 am

From a British point of view. Most garages over here wouldn't honour a warranty if you have fitted after market parts. I assume the US warranty is different to ours!

To that end I am not surprised you have been stung for $$$$'s. As I say, mine is purely a UK perspective. I can't see Honda USA being that diferent though!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Add on warranties to me the cost of one is just a way to pay for repairs in advance.You would have to be un lucky to have a Swing break down under 50k miles,which most Swing owners would take 5 to 10 years to reach. In most case the scooter was sold log time ago. Smile
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Everyone is entitled to make some money.
If in fact Honda is paying for the labor under warranty, than ask for a separate breakdown of what labor Honda covered and what they did not.

By asking for a breakdown of the two, you are getting the info you want without accusing anyone of double dipping.

If they cannot give you this breakdown then maybe they have some 'splainin to do.

Also keep in mind that its good to have a local bike shop with trained mechanics. We all have a sense of justice and fair play, but making them "wrong" or accusing them of something is counterproductive. Getting into a fight with them means you can't hire them again. If the next qualified bike shop is 30 miles away, there is some value to being tactful rather than accusatory.

If they know that you know you caught them double dipping, and you can say, okay lets pretend this never happened and won't in the future, than you can maintain a relationship with them and they will know you are a savvy customer and not to put one over on you again.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks for your input Dan. I was tactful in asking about it and asking if they could or would waive the cost. I said it more to the tune if asking them about it. I was like if you guys are in there already replacing the variator and working on the clutch, then why am I being charged for an hours labor on the belt? He explained it that they didn't want to risk raising any issues with the warranty company and they need to get paid for the work. I agreed since they were getting my mistake covered by the extended warranty but they could have been a bit cooler about it and just charged me separately for the parts and installed them for free. But again, I don't want to seem ungrateful for what they had gotten done for me but $100 is $100. Who knows, I still have faith in people and when my bike is ready tomorrow, I could end up seeing them waiving the labor charge. Keep your fingers crossed. LOL
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Don't count on it. Just because Honda covers the labor doesn't mean they cover it at the same rate you would pay.

Like they said, they've got to be profitable.

What with quotas for the dept. and commissions that the shop mgr may get, warranty work could be a losing proposition for them if they are a busy shop as it lowers their average profit.

So this is maybe a case of a little "You should scratch my back because I scratched yours."
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

I hear you. Well I will prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Hey Dan on another note I am planning in going with a clearview windscreen with the vent. Which did u prefer on your wing? In your mods I see the givi and clearview comparison.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Belt is considered wear item...but good shop would have collected only once on labor of taking apart and re-install-----proper way to put bike back together is of course with new belt----lucky if you had after market parts, warranty company covered anything.

My recent experience, and bike shops get to touch my bikes only under warranty----my 2011 leftover Burgman 400, 20,000 miles still under original warrany----rear outer clutch bearing=spun, front pulley/rollers just plain shot/worn out. Belt had 20,000 miles (my choice to run over makers recommendation)----had pulled it apart on my lift---saw problems,put back together, rode it to Dalton GA where there is professional Suzuki Dealer, told them what was wrong-----they agreed on parts necessary, I asked them to call Suzuki for pre-approval on coverage. They collected on parts and labor, my new belt I carry went on as part of the operation. Old retained as carry along spare. No extra cost to me.

Bottom Line for me....rubber drive scooters since 1990.....ride alot this type drive=expensive. I am sure my repairs would have been around $600 at a fair shop with all new parts. I use only OEM parts period.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Clearview no longer makes the XL size with the vent, as far as I know. There was to much problem with the shield flexing. They may have since solved that problem though.

Many people are going with the new GIVI adjustable windscreen now.
I don't have any direct comparison for the clearview vs adj givi.

Of the two solid screens I like the clearview better.

When I was young and stupid...well maybe not that young...I figured the larger the shield the better. I felt that having a shield that the top was at eye height would have been too distracting, because I would either be straining to look over it or crouching to look under it. After long rides including thru the rain where I could not see thru the shield I have come to understand the value of being able to look over the shield when I want. As my riding has changed to more local than long trips I am comfortable with my shield, but if I were to be doing long trips or needed it for a daily commute rain or shine, I would be getting one that tops out at eye level.

Also remember that the aftermarket shields are wider than stock, and do not play nice with hand guards, as a wide shield will restrict the turning radius with hand guards installed.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks for the input. I plan on getting the large with a vent. I am 5'10" and since my bike is in the shop I am not certain exactly what size but will know tomorrow morning
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Did you get your silverwing back and how is it running?
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Got it back today and so far so good. I rode it on the highway and have been racing little import cars off the line at red lights and no issues.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Thats good news Smile

So the cause of your variator bolt coming loose was a bearing. Do you know what bearing needed to be changed?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop   Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pretty disappointed with my local bike shop
Page 1 of 1