Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

E15 Ethanol

Go down 
+2
bigbird
rjdoles
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

E15 Ethanol Empty
PostSubject: E15 Ethanol   E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 pm

The EPA approved E15 last year. The news story began with E15 ethanol finally being offered at some stations in Minnesota and for 10 to 15 cents less than E10.

The real story was about the sticker on the gas pumps that most people probably won't read anyway. The sticker says that it is not recommended in motorcycles, small gasoline engines and cars produced before 2001.

My 2 cycle tools (weedwacker, leafblower, etc) used to be pretty reliable on gasoline but with E10, they have been a problem.  

A multi brand motorcycle dealer in town only guarantees a carburetor rebuild for two weeks. They claim that if you let a motorcycle sit just two weeks with E10 in the tank, the fuel can go bad and gum up passages in the carburetors again.

It is only going to get worse as E15 becomes the new standard.

I would be willing to pay a premium for straight gasoline if just one pump at a gas station was reserved for that fuel. The only location to sell straight gasoline in my area is a boat dock about 5 miles away and that is selling for $4 per gallon. That would work for my lawn tools but I can't search for a boat dock when we are riding our scooters.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

E15 Ethanol Empty
PostSubject: Re: E15 Ethanol   E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Move to Canada cheers 
Our regular gas is E10, our premium is ethanol free, and our mid grade is a blend of the two, so about 5%.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

E15 Ethanol Empty
PostSubject: Re: E15 Ethanol   E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 pm

I have found that my scooter runs fine on E-10(aside from less mpg) when I am out riding. I put pure gas in my car and the scooters that I don't ride every day. We are lucky to have pure gas readily available around here and I use it anytime I know I will not be riding every day. Regular E-10 is $3.05 and Regular pure gas runs over $4 a gallon. I can get regular, midgrade and premium pure gas if I go to the distributor. I haven't went to the distributor lately so I don't know the prices of the midgrade and premium. If I can use E-10 I will as long as I know I will be riding long enough to run it thru.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

E15 Ethanol Empty
PostSubject: 15 % Ethanol   E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Be careful if you are not familiar with the gas pump.If it says 85 octane it is going to be 10% Ethanol even though it may not say so. One of the first things you may notice on your small engines (weed whackers etc) is hard starting if they have not been run for a while. Then you will notice the fuel lines will start to deteriorate. Visit your local hobby shop and by some fuel line that can handle the alcohol.Always use the higher octane fuel when you put them in storage. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
E15 Ethanol 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

E15 Ethanol Empty
PostSubject: Re: E15 Ethanol   E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 11:58 pm

The problem, as I understand it, is that the original rules dictated the amount of ethanol that had to be sold. Increased mileage fuel vehicles and lower driving amounts decreased the amount of ethanol needed so the "targeted amount " would not be met unless they increased the percentage per gallon. Another case of "big brother" taking care of us. I'm not a politician, but I still might be wrong. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

E15 Ethanol Empty
PostSubject: Re: E15 Ethanol   E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 6:54 am

E10 did a good job of gumming up the carburetor on my lawn mower.
My suspicion is it also was the reason my intake manifold gaskets failed on my Buick V6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

E15 Ethanol Empty
PostSubject: Re: E15 Ethanol   E15 Ethanol I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

E15 Ethanol
Page 1 of 1