Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition Switch
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby POCAHONTAS Yesterday at 6:45 pm

» Lift Without A Lift
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 5:25 pm

» LED Headlights
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» 2003 ABS Silverwing re fresh
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Fri Oct 25, 2024 5:00 am

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing

Go down 
+3
KurtPerthWA
dspevack
alexis59
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alexis59
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi - new user - joined today - SWinger for many years - based in Cyprus now (previously UK) - recently lost my job and my lovely company car so I am looking at ways to continue with my favourite passtime which is kitesurfing.

I am looking at ways of carrying my board (everything else will fit under the seat on my back or top box - the board is about 140cms long and 40cms wide so a lot shorter than a surfboard - I have seen some racks around such as this one - any other suggestions? Not sure the photo is showing so here is a link to another one that is similar:

Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing LARGE_surfs_up_scooter_rack_2

Fixed the image for you --Mod Dan
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:51 pm

In ten years of Silverwinging I have never ever seen any mod for a Silverwing quite like that.

However this is the store the picture came from:
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Universal-Surf-Rack-by-Carver/4150?clear_cat=true

You could probably use find a way to mount that to the rear wing.

Don't know if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Here is the website for the company that actually makes the product.

http://www.carverracks.com/

Call or email them directly and see what they will do for you.

Dan
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 1:00 am

Now that's a novel way of saving fuel!.
Back to top Go down
alexis59
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Yes I was aware of Carver - that is why I posted the photo!
My issues are 2:

a) The rack is made in the USA and by the time it is sent to Cyprus it will cost a fortune so I was looking at perhaps a European solution!
b) The MAIN issue that I have is that when the plate is fitted on the SW rack,my Honda topbox will not fit on top.

regards and thanks for replying
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Reading on the links Dan provided, it says the scooter should not exceed 20mph. It seems this is a way to transport surfboards to the beach from a short distance.
Back to top Go down
alexis59
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 12:10 pm

It's been about a year since I asked this question so I am hoping that maybe someone somewhere might have seen a surf rack for the SW. As previously mentioned my board is quite short (143x48 cm) so to be honest I am very tempted to just strap in on the back seat. Not sure how much it will protrude but its not like I am going to commute with the board strapped to the back - it is only for the weekend trip to the beach..
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4415
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Hmmm... How about bolting a plate under the tail using longer bolts for the top case mount. Then you could mount that surfboard mount to that plate.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Have you tried to find a small shop or friend with a welder that could fabricate something something for you?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 10:32 pm

I'd try just strapping it down to the rear seat as you mentioned. Lashed on crossways it shouldn't leave a lot protruding on each side. Just make the leading edge a bit lower than the trailing edge so it would prevent the board from wanting to fly. With the passenger grab handles angled as they are that should keep the board at a negative angle of attack. I really doubt you'd have any problem with it at highway speeds, I've tied on some bulky stuff on the back of my previous SW and my current BMW C650GT.
Back to top Go down
alexis59
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 4:39 am

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I think at the end of the day, "exavid" has perhaps hit the nail on the head with his simple and free solution. The width of the SW is 78cms and the length of my board is 143cm (although I am planning on getting a shorter one soon). The board is therefore 65cms longer than the width so if I mount the board sideways it will protrude 32cms either side which let's face it it's about as much (if not less) than the width that I will be adding mounting a surfboard mount (albeit on one side only). The other advantage is that I will not be adding an ugly extension to the bike that 99% of the time will be unused and also I am convinced that aerodynamically, its a better solution for highway driving, than mounting it on the side...
I will post an actual photo to show how it will look on the bike!
Back to top Go down
alexis59
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 am

Here is an image of the suggested setup:

Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing IMG_6962-L

Here is a link to the rest of the photos:

http://www.alexisimages.com/Miscellaneous/KitesurfCarrier

Any feedback would be gratefully received
Alexis
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 12:49 pm

That ought to work fine, I've hauled bulkier stuff on the back of my SW at freeway speeds of 75-80mph with no buffeting problem at all.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing   Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 2:14 am

That looks like it would work fine for the occasional trip to the beach. It's not like you plan on touring with it.
Back to top Go down

Kitesurf rack for my Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1