Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

new owner of 2003 silverwing

Go down 
+5
Dimond
Magoo Triker
"Hi Yo"
JeffR_
batiatus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-09-25

new owner of 2003 silverwing Empty
PostSubject: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 11:52 pm

I just bought a 2003 silverwing fsc600. Clean title, garage kept with 31000 miles. I got it for $650. It doesnt start since it needs a new engine. Im looking at ebay and saw a few. Engi e inly is $500 or can get the engine with tranny for about $1000. The previous owner told.me all I need is a new motor. Ive been try8ng to do some research on how hard it is to chnage the tranny, but it said I need some special tools. I have a compressor and mechanics tool set since I work on cars as a hobby but never work on scooters. Can any of you give me some suggestions. Thanks
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:36 am

Congrats and best of luck to you with your bike. You should be able to find an engine by looking for SWings that have been in accidents. Keep us informed on how things go and I'm sure you will get good advice by others on the site.
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 am

JeffR_ wrote:
Congrats and best of luck to you with your bike.  You should be able to find an engine by looking for SWings that have been in accidents.  Keep us informed on how things go and I'm sure you will get good advice by others on the site.
Thanks. Im just having a hard time finding an engine in northern california
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
new owner of 2003 silverwing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 4:26 am

Welcome to the forum. If you don't have one, get the shop manual.
Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am

welcome Silver Wing the only way to fly....
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:39 am

Magoo Triker wrote:
welcome Silver Wing the only way to fly....
Hahha. Mine cant fly yet. Needs a new motor. Im picking it up from the city in a few days. At the hospital right now waiting for my baby daughter. Will the silverwing fit on the uhaul motorcycle trailer?
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

batiatus wrote:
JeffR_ wrote:
Congrats and best of luck to you with your bike.  You should be able to find an engine by looking for SWings that have been in accidents.  Keep us informed on how things go and I'm sure you will get good advice by others on the site.
Thanks. Im just having a hard time finding an engine in northern california
Well, the next time you see a SWing, loosen their bolts to their front tire. And when they get up to speed the wheel should come flying off, if you did it right. You should have your engine then. Evil or Very Mad :lol!: :lol!: 
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 1:15 pm

batiatus wrote:
I just bought a 2003 silverwing fsc600. Clean title, garage kept with 31000 miles. I got it for $650. It doesnt start since it needs a new engine. Im looking at ebay and saw a few. Engi e inly is $500 or can get the engine with tranny for about $1000. The previous owner told.me all I need is a new motor. Ive been try8ng to do some research on how hard it is to chnage the tranny, but it said I need some special tools. I have a compressor and mechanics tool set since I work on cars as a hobby but never work on scooters. Can any of you give me some suggestions.  Thanks
Batiatus - As stated in prior post - you need a Honda Service Manual - can get them online for about $35. If it was my scooter - I would try to find out why it does not start (e.g., low cylinder compression, bad ignition system, etc) and see if you can fix that. Ask PO why they think it is the engine - and what part of the engine is not functioning. You need to take a quick assessment of all parts of the scoot and what is going to need to be replaced (e.g., tires, wheels, brakes, belt, fork seals, etc.). How many miles on scoot? If you can't get the engine running without replacing it - then I suggest you sell (e.g., to another, part it out) it or save it for parts. There is a good chance you are dealing with a black hole as there could be lots wrong with your scoot that you can not easily assess since you can not run/ride it. If the engine does not run - you could be looking at the tip of the iceburg insofar as trouble with your SWing. In N. California a SWing that runs great for $2000 (I bought a 2003 couple of years ago - ran great - sold it one year later for $2000 - ran great) which (if you go replace engine and/or tranny route) is likely IMHO FAR LESS than repairing what you have (unless you can diagnose the reason the engine is not running and fix it with a minor repair of some sort). The path you are currently headed down could be, "Sewing a coat on a button". You are going to be wanting to hold your young child much more than holding a wrench - so you may wish to factor that in. I have never replaced an engine so can't advise you on that; however, I live near you and could advise you on assessing a 'running' scoot - if you decide to go that route (let me know via PM if you wish to reconsider your path and look at a $2000 SWing that runs). Whatever you decide - best wishes with your SWing!
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:29 pm

[/quote]Batiatus - As stated in prior post - you need a Honda Service Manual - can get them online for about $35.  If it was my scooter - I would try to find out why it does not start (e.g., low cylinder compression, bad ignition system, etc) and see if you can fix that.  Ask PO why they think it is the engine - and what part of the engine is not functioning.  You need to take a quick assessment of all parts of the scoot and what is going to need to be replaced (e.g., tires, wheels, brakes, belt, fork seals, etc.).  How many miles on scoot?  If you can't get the engine running without replacing it - then I suggest you sell (e.g., to another, part it out) it or save it for parts.  There is a good chance you are dealing with a black hole as there could be lots wrong with your scoot that you can not easily assess since you can not run/ride it.  If the engine does not run - you could be looking at the tip of the iceburg insofar as trouble with your SWing.  In N. California a SWing that runs great for $2000 (I bought a 2003 couple of years ago - ran great - sold it one year later for $2000 - ran great) which (if you go replace engine and/or tranny route) is likely IMHO FAR LESS than repairing what you have (unless you can diagnose the reason the engine is not running and fix it with a minor repair of some sort).  The path you are currently headed down could be, "Sewing a coat on a button".  You are going to be wanting to hold your young child much more than holding a wrench - so you may wish to factor that in.  I have never replaced an engine so can't advise you on that; however, I live near you and could advise you on assessing a 'running' scoot - if you decide to go that route (let me know via PM if you wish to reconsider your path and look at a $2000 SWing that runs).  Whatever you decide - best wishes with your SWing![/quote]
Thanks for the advise. I already paid for it yesterday. I asked him if I need a tranmission and all he said was a new motor. Will find out more and report back
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Batiatus - Do keep us informed on the SWing and the Baby also - best wishes with them both!
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Dimond wrote:
Batiatus - Do keep us informed on the SWing and the Baby also - best wishes with them both!

So baiscally he said he was riding a few weeks ago and he tried accelerate and heard a tapping sound. A few minutes later the engined turned off and had to get it towed. Got it towed to a bike shop and mechanic found out there was an oil leak and the oil has ran out. Mechanic tried to out oil but engine would not turn. Other than that its in good condition.

Im thinking of buying just the engine for $625 shipped and replaed the belt at the same time.

A fried of mine gave me his 2009 Diamo Torino with 1300 miles. I changed all the oil, battery and fuses and got it running. Im thinking of selling that one and keep the silverwing

Baby is not out yet. Ive been up for 30 hours now
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:00 pm

batiatus wrote:

So baiscally he said he was riding a few weeks ago and he tried accelerate and heard a tapping sound. A few minutes later the engined turned off and had to get it towed. Got it towed to a bike shop and mechanic found out there was an oil leak and the oil has ran out. Mechanic tried to out oil but engine would not turn. Other than that its in good condition.

Baby is not out yet. Ive been up for 30 hours now
I know nothing about engines - but if it was my SWing - I may give a go at taking the engine apart (assuming I don't need a bazillion special tools) to see if it could be repaired. Who knows - maybe it would be something simple and not too costly (though I doubt it from your description). I would then know a lot more about the engine and how it works - but I am retired and not tired from waiting 30 hours for a baby to come out! Yikes - 30 hours - better get something pretty special for your wife after the birthing! Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Baby girl finally came out 9/27 @2:39 AM. Will be going home tomorrow. Tuesday ill pick up the s2ing and disassemble little by little just to see what's wrong with the engine
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 1:19 pm

[quote="batiatus"]Baby girl finally came out 9/27 @2:39 AM. Will be going home tomorrow./quote] cheers  cheers  CONGRATULATIONS !!! cheers  cheers 
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Found a motor at a local yard. They want $800. Its is 2008 and he thinks its has less than 5, 000 miles. The only problem is that its been sitting on the yard for 3 to 4 years
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 5:18 pm

batiatus wrote:
Found a motor at a local yard. They want $800. Its is 2008 and he thinks its has less than 5, 000 miles. The only problem is that its been sitting on the yard for 3 to 4 years
That sounds a bit high for something that's been sitting there "rusting". You will certainly need to see if the crankshaft is turning free. Otherwise the whole works might be seized and would require disassembling, etc to free up. You'd need to be able to turn the variator (17mm bolt) counterclockwise to rotate the crankshaft.

But assuming that the crank is free to turn, $800 might not be all that bad if you consider that you might easily pay $600 on eBay + shipping.

If you're lucky the variator, swing arm (belt case) and final drive gear case will still be attached to the engine.

Maybe you can haggle the price. It's not like people are lined up to buy that motor. He's had it there for several years without getting any money back on his investment.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 5:48 pm

First let me say congratulations on your new baby.party time  Now on the engine, will they give you any guarantee that it will run? Can you check to see if the engine will at least turn over by hand(take out the plug first) before you pay for it?

A post was made as I was typing but I'm not going to retype this so some info is redundant.
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks everyone. Found another 2008 with 10k miles. $798 plus $175 s/h with 30 return policy and 6 month warranty
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 am

I got it home this afternoon. Tried to start it but the starter wont turn. The headlight will turn off everytime I start it. Also noticed the oil pressure is on. I checked the oil and it was empty. I added two quarts and abiut 10 mins pater there is a puddle of oil. Want to see if motor is free. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 am

Return it under warranty maybe ? Deffo talk to the supplier before taking a spanner to it if I were you.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 4:59 am

Check the side stand cut-off switch? Do you hear a double click when applying the brake? Don't know about the puddle of oil. Where is it coming from?
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 6:43 pm

The Bern wrote:
Return it under warranty maybe ? Deffo talk to the supplier before taking a spanner to it if I were you.
I think he is referring to the Swing he just got with the broken engine.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 pm

The Baby Girl is a KEEPER - the Wife is a Keeper - not sure what to say about the SWing - best wishes!
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Definitely need a new engine. I think the casing is crack. Ill buy a new motor. As for paint where do you guys go?
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 pm

new owner of 2003 silverwing <a href=new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131008_171701" />new owner of 2003 silverwing <a href=new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131008_171740" />new owner of 2003 silverwing <a href=new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131008_171732" />new owner of 2003 silverwing <a href=new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131008_171725" />I got the new engine for $700+ tax with 30 day warranty. Good thing it was garage. Now Im trying to take out the engine and im stuck on the allen and torx screw. also I cant take off the rear pulley. I have the torx and hex key but it just wont budge and worry might strip the bolt. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 1:07 am

Hi Yo wrote:
 Check  the side stand cut-off switch? Do you hear a double click when applying the brake?  Don't know about the puddle of oil. Where is it coming from?
Hi all I finally installed the new motor and its now running. I just need to I stall back the fairings. As for the left brake lever does it really beed to be press really hard or mine is faulty? I have to really press it really hard yo hear the two clicks
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 2:20 am

batiatus wrote:
As for the left brake lever does it really beed to be press really hard or mine is faulty? I have to really press it really hard yo hear the two clicks
Yes it is normal to have to press it really hard to hear the two clicks.
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 11:56 am

model28a wrote:
batiatus wrote:
As for the left brake lever does it really beed to be press really hard or mine is faulty? I have to really press it really hard yo hear the two clicks
Yes it is normal to have to press it really hard to hear the two clicks.
Thank you. I will just the fairings back and start test driving
Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Here is a pic of my baby when she first came out and the pic of my work. Total investement with tools and mic $1700
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20130927_1147580
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131001_154352-1
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131007_162743-1
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131008_171745
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131012_144533
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131009_153903
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131012_144544
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131012_150818
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131020_195602
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131020_195610
new owner of 2003 silverwing 20131020_195619
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 1:23 pm

the 2008 engine will have an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold- you will need to use the original manifold because the original engine didn't have one.

Congratulations!
Jesse in Atlanta
2003 Honda Silverwing with 36000 miles.

Back to top Go down
batiatus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm

toolboxjesse wrote:
the 2008 engine will have an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold- you will need to use the original manifold because the original engine didn't have one.

Congratulations!
Jesse in Atlanta
2003 Honda Silverwing with 36000 miles.

Thanks. I drove it for about 15 mins the other night. Will go riding this weekend. The Shop where I got the engine gave me a paperwork and told me to take it to DMV. Will DMV put the vin # on the title?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Your "babies" are both beautiful. cheers  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new owner of 2003 silverwing   new owner of 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new owner of 2003 silverwing
Page 1 of 1