Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
newbies question I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

newbies question

Go down 
+5
GHM-PM
JeffR_
cotetoi
Cosmic_Jumper
eddieliang
9 posters
AuthorMessage
eddieliang
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-04-04

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 12:47 am

I have my 2011 silverwing almost 5month now,just put little over 3000 miles on the clock. love every bit of it. everything is stock except givi airflow wind shield(big difference).everage mpg 48-53 mixed freeway and local. here is my question:
when i ride on the freeway at 70mph or higher speed for around 10 miles the bike gets exemely smooth,no viberation,almost no sound from the engine.after that it will stay in that smooth mode for the rest of the ride regardless the high or low speed. take off from the stop light much stronger and quieter. but after i turn off the bike and turn it back on again,it goes back to normal. I`m not complaining anything,the bike is very smooth in the normal condition,but i really like the smooth mode after ridding off the high speed. is it supose be like this or.
this is my first scooter,never rode any other scooter,so dont have any comparison.I`ve ride street bike for 3years,kind of like riding low speed on higher gear but have much more engine power.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 am

Sorry, but I'm unable to shed any light on this phenomenon, though I've experienced this same thing several times myself. I use to think that I was "in the zone" during those times as mostly they occurred during all-night rides. Kind of like being in a zen meditative state or riding a magic carpet across the night sky. And, No, I don't use chemical assistance

All that said, with 80K miles there's so much loose rattling tupperware on the scoot and arthritis in my back, I dunno if that magic carpet ride will ever happen for me again

Given your experience would you believe the rumor that the Silverwing was designed by a zen master so that he could hear the cherry blossoms fall?

Tim
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 4:05 pm

I personally have no doubt that I can hear the cherry blossoms fall every time I ride. The bike just transports me to another zone !!!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 am

I know my Swing is smoother at highway speeds. I'm not sure why but it is extremely smooth going faster than slower. I would try lighter sliders or the J. Costa to smooth it out a bit more at the slower speeds.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 7:57 am

Having ridden many bikes over the years I am always amazed how smooth and powerful the Silver Wing is for the 600cc motor. From putting around town to cruising at 75 on the freeway, this is one amazing scoot!
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 am

Last summer I had the privilege of riding my friends Siverwing through the Northern Cascades in Washington. We departed from Seattle in morning commuter traffic heading north as I followed my buddy on his Goldwing. He made multiple lane changes as we worked our way towards our exit to the mountains about 30 miles north. He was very aggressive in his riding and besides, he knew this area and I was visiting from Texas. I stayed on his tail all the way and was convinced he couldn't out accelerate the Silverwing on the freeway. We rode over 500 miles that day and the SW was an absolute joy to ride. It's the Swiss Army Knife of scooters as it's equally capable in the city or open road touring.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 1:56 pm

eddieliang wrote:

when i ride on the freeway at 70mph or higher speed for around 10 miles the bike gets exemely smooth,no viberation,almost no sound from the engine,after that it will stay in that smooth mode for the rest of the ride regardless the high or low speed. take off from the stop light much stronger and quieter. but after i turn off the bike and turn it back on again,it goes back to normal. I`m not complaining anything,the bike is very smooth in the normal condition,but i really like the smooth mode after ridding off the high speed. is it supose be like this or.
Not sure that I can identify exactly with your conditions - but I seem to experience it - to some degree.  At higher speeds (above 35-40mph) the angular momentum of the wheels seems to stabalize the entire SWing - so it tracks better, handles bumps better, and generally feels smoother.  When I start out cold - it seems a bit rougher - which I base on my body not being conditioned to the vibrations, etc., that occur - but once the SWing is warmed up - it seems as if my body is warmed up so I am not feeling those initial vibrations that I had noticed when I was cold.  The above is very subjective - others may feel differently.

Last edited by Dimond on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:45 pm

my take from now 300,000 mile rubber band drive scooter experience----running down highway at high speed,, belt, pulleys, I suppose rollers/rear clutch take a "set' and really work well together-----slow down/stop and take off can be jerkey-----not to worry, nature of beast my 4 Helix did it, Reflex to a degree, 2 Burgman 400's did/do it, SilverWing did it, Don't recall if TMAX did it. Simple Fix----run engineup against brakes for 10 seconds----appears to scrub off any glaze or what have you.-----I change belts with OEMparts---no other mods to drive train....and ride a lot. All of my scooters have been bought new, so I know there history.

This appears to be a weakness of the simple Salsbury (sp?) clutch system. New BMW scooter same system.

Just ride and carry spare belt as dealers along the way will never have one in stock if you need it now

Info: my present Burgman 400 at 20,000 miles ,lots of problems /but with perfect,scooter experienced mech all pulleys, rear clutch, rollers and belt were replaced under warranty---12,000 miles later still smooth in operation about 90% of time.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 11:10 am

eddieliang wrote:
When i ride on the freeway at 70mph or higher speed for around 10 miles the bike gets exemely smooth,no viberation,almost no sound from the engine.
After 10 miles the engine and drivetrain should be warmed up.

One reason that the scooter might get smoother is that when the scooter sits and cools, the drive belt also cools. When it is cold, it is less flexible and it takes a set. The part of the belt that came to rest wrapped around the pulley's cools in a curved set and the part between the pulleys cools in a straight set. Once you have ridden about 10 miles the belt warms up, becomes more flexible and the sets work their way out. The more uniform belt would not create a vibration that the cold belt might.

The same goes for the tires.

My dad have a 56 Oldsmobile with Goodyear Double Eagle tires on it. They were supposed to be a premium tire at the time. Dad returned it to the tire dealer because of a vibration for the first 10 miles that wasn't there before the tires were installed. The dealer explained that the tires take a set with a flat spot where they contact the ground and as they warm up it goes away.

No proof, Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

newbies question Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbies question   newbies question I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 1:22 pm

[quote="rjdoles"]
eddieliang wrote:

No proof, Just my opinion.
I like your analysis - seems reasonable to me.
Back to top Go down

newbies question
Page 1 of 1