Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600

Go down 
+5
Erdoc48
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
shaba
sonuvabug
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 Empty
PostSubject: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Does anyone use after market brake bleeders like these that are posted on eBay?

Do they work? and would you receommend them?

Thanks in advance, Bugjr

Brake Bleeders on eBay
Back to top Go down
shaba
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 9:39 am

I never used the ones you mentioned, but I think that if you contact this link they can help you find what you need, http://www.euronetbike.net/contact-the-staff-of-euronetbike.net.html, if not after market ones (that in my opinion can be dangerous), the ones that are useful for you. I trust this site from my experience. I wish you luck.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2023 12:35 pm

10 years on since this topic started, I am considering using brake 'speed-bleeders'. I've done some googling and I wonder if the technology and reliability has moved on. I understand their function and they seem like a 'no brainer'.

Does anyone have experience of these on the SW?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2023 1:24 pm

I've had a Rothewald brake bleeder kit for years. I bought it from a Louis motorcycle accessories store in Germany when I had a Silver Wing in my pre-curmudgeon days.  Using it I replaced the brake fluid effortlessly. As long as you do the bleed valves in the correct sequence it's straightforward.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2023 6:24 pm

My experience is mostly with the ST’s- been using them for years and the little ball valve is to prevent air getting in the line, but loosen them minimally (barely 1/8th turn) before purging fluid (they have threadlocker on the threads, but if loosened too much, you’ll draw in air when releasing the brake lever). On the SWing, I recently had a mildly spongy front brake lever, still stopped fine, just a little spongy for me (and I had installed the SpeedBleeders a few months back)- what I suspect is that I never had the lines fully purged of air when I screwed up when bleeding the brakes the first time several months ago with the OEM bleeders. I used a MityVac and got the brake pressure ‘good enough’ back then. If you have SpeedBleeders installed, it’s a must that all air must be purged, otherwise, there’s no way you’re going to squeeze air (pressure bleed) past the ball valve. I used my MityVac again a few days ago (through the SpeedBleeder, so vacuum bled the front brake- the top nipple as the left handle has great feel and is nice and firm)- now the line is fully purged and I have no doubt next time I have to flush the fluid, it will work fine- on the ST’s, I have been able to flush all 3 brakes in minutes per caliper as well as the clutch MC, so I am a proponent of them.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 3:34 am

My research has told me that they should be installed into an already full and bled system.

My plan is to swap my rear brake caliper over without draining the rear line. I'll have to be pretty swift with the banjo bolt and using speed-bleeder nipples should take care of any air which might creep in during the swap over.
Back to top Go down
StuartBrown
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2022-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 2:46 pm

Speed bleeders come in several screw thread sizes. What size is the Swing thread?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm

They are 8x1.25.
Back to top Go down
StuartBrown
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Speed bleedere   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 3:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. This site is a Godsend!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2023 5:00 pm

You know you can syringe or squeezy bottle almost all of the old brake fluid out of the reservoir before starting. When it's almost empty fill the brake reservoir with fresh fluid. Then all you have to do is flush the remaining old fluid through the brake lines into a container.

You'll know visually when the fresh fluid is coming through, and as long as there's a non return valve on your brake bleeder kit, no air can be drawn back into the system. 

I've been doing it this way for years as the syringe or squeezy bottle emptying is very similar to a technique used in industry.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2023 11:03 am

I can see how that would save some time and effort. I'll just be glad to get the caliper on and then make sure these speed-bleeders work as advertised. As long as I get the brakes working to start with, I'll run new fluid through the system afterwards.

While I'm on the subject of nipples, here is a picture of the existing nipple and the new OEM nipple;

Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 Old_an10

It's not an optical illusion, they are both m8x1.25. The new OEM nipple leaves threads exposed when tightened up. It also has a rather blunt nose compared to the much sharper nose of the existing one. I don't know what difference that might make. I ordered the OEM nipple as backup.

Anyhow, my next choice is which speed-bleed nipples to use..um dee dum dee dum dee.... study
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2023 9:22 pm

A friend of mine showed a simple way of minimizing air in the braking system when removing a line or caliper. Banjo type fittings only.  A standard rubber car valve stem with the cap remove will seal the line and stop fluid leakage much better than trying to bleed an empty system. Better to have a helper at times when things get ugly.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2023 7:56 am

Hi folks, I have not posted until now because I only just finished a complete overhaul of my Swings braking systems in time to make the most of the good riding weather here for the last couple of days.
I have been following this post.

First off, I have few recommendations to consider before addressing your braking systems on any bike/scooter through experience.
1) If your bike/scooter is over 10 yrs old, regardless of mileage, unless you have personally done it replace the master cylinder seals, THEY will be shinny and bloated even if they seem to work ok.. In my case the rear combo brake was causing a slight bind to the front brake.
Also sometimes on the first start up of the day or when cold, it would cause a start issue by dropping the second switch click before I could press the start button(bloated rubber bounce).
2)Bleeding the brakes: Heat is your friend! Pick a hot sunny day to do it, let your bike soak it up for an hr or so, failing that use a heatgun/hairdryer and warm your Dot 4 container in a jug of hot water.
3)If you believe your bike still has the original bleed nipples replace them. I fit stainless but as loosemarbles has posted, Honda now sell an upgraded nipple, the main difference being the size of the bleed hole(prob their way of admitting they got it wrong to start with) bigger hole better and easier to flow through. So check your respective bike make for possible upgrades.

Im not going to go into detail about brake overhauls as it has been covered in depth on various posted  Inc. mine.
What I will say is patients is a virtue when it comes to bleeding but heat applied in the right places will make it very easy to remove all the air from the system.

One last note about the Swing Front master, Honda used a washer to pack out the master cylinder before fitting the circlip and rubber boot, If the boot splits through use or damage the washer rusts badly so the casting will need a good clean before re-fit of seals.
I also found it harder to find an OEM front seal set by Honda so I have stuck a picture up to show the differences between Front and Back, ignore Ebay adds "fits either side"
Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 20230510

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!

Last edited by JohnyC on Sat May 06, 2023 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marvincon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Marvincon

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2019-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2023 11:22 am

Both kits from Fowlers Honda spares for around £150 Shocked
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2023 11:26 am

Ref Fowlers parts.

Yes they have some now, only took a few months for them to "come in" hence my post today!

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2023 3:36 pm

Some interesting comments, thanks. My front master cylinder was new from Honda about a year ago. I also put a new piston kit in the rear master cylinder at the same time.

I'm having doubts about using speed-bleeder nipples. I found some horror stories on t'interweb.
Back to top Go down
StuartBrown
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2023 8:46 am

Speedbleeders now installed. Should make life a bit easier at next fluid change.
Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600   Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda Brake Speed Bleeders Silverwing FSC600
Page 1 of 1