Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

06 Honda SW rear brake caliper

Go down 
+5
Appleman
Meldrew
steve_h80
Loosemarbles
okcseoul
9 posters
AuthorMessage
okcseoul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-09-09

06 Honda SW rear brake caliper Empty
PostSubject: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 12:48 am

I’m looking for an assembled rear brake caliper.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 am

Sorry you've had response on this yet. Do you actually need a new caliper or could you overhaul your existing one? I did an overhaul on mine with success.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 am

I doubt Honda asked Nissen to make a one-off caliper specifically for the SW, so does anyone know which other bikes use this model?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 am

I'd have thought the very man to ask about a 06 Silver Wing rear brake calliper is Situakreg here in the UK. He's broken up quite a few Silver Wings for spares and offered various parts for sale on here.

I've just had a look and he hasn’t logged on here since early last month I suppose the OP could send him a PM, or look at his honda fjs 600 silver wing uk owners group page on Facebook.
Back to top Go down
Appleman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2020-02-29

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 7:12 am

This is in the USA but may help .

postage may be the limiting part.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=+Honda+SilverWing+rear+brake+caliper&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=06+Honda+SW+rear+brake+caliper
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com/profile?mode=editprofile&page_p
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 am

I dont have one they are like hens teeth to find a good one
Back to top Go down
okcseoul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-09-09

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 7:28 am

Thank you for your remarks... the caliper on eBay will not ship to South Korea. The idea of overhauling the caliper I have may be the only choice I have. I'll keep looking for a while longer to see if someone has a solution. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Ze'ev
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-03-14

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 5:22 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Sorry you've had response on this yet. Do you actually need a new caliper or could you overhaul your existing one? I did an overhaul on mine with success.
Hey,
Could you elaborate the process of overhauling it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 11:41 am

Hello Zev

It is actually a pretty easy job. It’s bleeding the brakes that’s a PITA. There are quite a few helpful YouTube videos. Just pick up a new piston and seal kit from your local Honda dealer or another trusted source. Here is a caliper rebuilding video -don’t panic, there is no need to split the caliper on our Silverwing- and also a link to a brake bleeding video.

Brake bleeding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgg_Qfbs3mY
Back to top Go down
Ze'ev
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-03-14

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hello Zev

It is actually a pretty easy job. It’s bleeding the brakes that’s a PITA.

Hey Cosmic,
Frankly I'm a little nervous messing with it because I don't really understand what is wrong. From watching the first video I think mine has an entirely different problem.. My rear caliper is not leaking or performing poorly he is wobbly and makes these metalic sounds if I just press it gently back and forth without actually engaging it.
brake pads and disk seem to be in working range, there is this little black rubber thing which is worn or half missing, and I don't know its purpose as well, if I'm not mistaken it is number 12 BOOT, PIN BUSH (NISSIN)
45132-166-016
*edit 2 mechanics told me it is not repairable and I should replace it with new or 2nd hand, but I don't know if is true.
06 Honda SW rear brake caliper Mjaznt10
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Both the calipers on the Swing are sliding caliper designs. Because the pistons are only on one side, when you press the brake lever the piston moves but the caliper also moves in the opposite direction so you get even clamping force on both pads. The caliper is sliding on the pin on the bracket (which your #12 bushing slides on) and also the pin #10 which fits into the bushing #13 which is inserted into the bracket. There is always a bit of rocking movement between the pin and the rubber bushing, and there should also be some silicone grease in there to facilitate easy movement.

With the pads removed it is an easy job to slip the caliper off the bracket, then you can swap out the rubber bushes if needed. Just buy new ones from a dealer. Clean all the parts and re-lube with silcone then slide them back together.

Even with brake pistons retracting nicely there is often a bit of pad-disk contact when you spin the wheel. Unless the brake is actually dragging (so the wheel is stiff to turn) try not to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 12:47 pm

When I overhauled my caliper is was the usual process of dismantling the whole thing, give it a good clean up then chuck away all the old seals. (I had chuck away my pistons too, they were corroded beyond help so I had put in new pistons). It's always wise to take lots of photos as you go along.

I had the naked caliper blasted and then coated (but not the piston bores). Then it's just a rebuild. If you take your time and follow the manual it's not too bad a job. As Tim mentioned above, bleeding the system afterwards is the PITA.

If you do decide to give it a go, I'm sure all the members on this forum will give you any help they can if you get stuck.

(Tim, I seem to remember photographing my rear caliper overhaul. Did I post it on the forum, I can't seem to find it).
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 6:58 am

okcseoul. If you search 'a brake bleeding nightmare' on this forum you'll see some pictures which might help you consider overhauling the caliper yourself. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 06 Honda SW rear brake caliper   06 Honda SW rear brake caliper I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

06 Honda SW rear brake caliper
Page 1 of 1