Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Going straight home I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Going straight home

Go down 
+2
Cornishman
MikeH
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Going straight home Empty
PostSubject: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Rode the S'Wing to get a haircut a couple of days ago. I filled up with gas on the way and reset the trip odometer. It was 6 miles to the place I got the haircut so it should have been a 12 mile round trip.

Going home, I looked down and noticed my odometer indicated I had gone 28 miles and I still wasn't home yet. Hmmmm......must be something wrong with my odometer. I better get that checked.

Then the strangest thing happened. I came to an intersection and the S'Wing unexpectly turned right. I tried to keep it going straight. But it just wouldn't go straight. Now I have a steering problem too!

I ended up on a road that had no intersections for 48.5 miles. No possible way to turn around. 48.5 miles of mountain road, with nice sweeping curves and incredible mountain vistas. What's a person to do? I really needed to go home and mow the lawn.......the darn S'Wing just wouldn't go straight!

I finally got to the next intersection. It was a T. I had to turn left or right. I turned left. After another 41 miles I found myself at Garden City on the shores or Bear Lake. I might as well stop and get some lunch. It might be a long time until I get this steering problem worked out. I need to eat so that I can concentrate.

Finally, the scoot made a left turn when I actually wanted to turn left.....maybe.....just maybe it was going to work correctly now.

From Bear Lake the S'Wing took me up through the beautiful Logan canyon, but I got to the Tony Grove turn off and the S'Wing unexpectedly turned right again. It wouldn't go straight! Finally, at the end of the freshly paved road with hairpin turns, tight twisties, stunning mountain vistas filled with aspen and lodgepole pine there was an opportunity to turn the scoot around. At the end of this road is a beautiful alpine lake set beneath the mountain peaks. Fortunately, the S'Wing does seem to have an aversion to cold water so the 180 degree turn in the parking lot proceeded without incident. Thank goodness. At least left turns seemed to be working.

Back out to the main highway. This would be a real test. Could the S'Wing turn right? Yes! Success! A right turn! Back onto the Logan canyon highway. More stunning scenery. More sweeping 50 mph mountain curves. River on one side, mountain on the other side. Bridges, trees, mountains, lakes, ponds, and blue skies which hadn't been seen in these parts for a couple of weeks. 54 miles from Garden City to Logan including the unexpected side trip to Tony Grove. This steering problem is starting to worry me.

Relief! At Logan, the scooter turned left as I intended. Another 25 miles through Sardine canyon before the next big steering test - a left turn and highway 89. Would the scoot behave this time? Yes! The steering seems to be working perfectly now. another 26 miles and I am home without any further steering problem. Wow, that was looking pretty serious for there for a while. I'm glad things seem to be working correctly now, but I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it.

But that odometer problem???? It should have been a 12 mile round trip to get my haircut. But it was 238 miles?!?!?!?!??????
Can anyone explain that?? :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 1:20 pm

I've had this problem with all of my scooters. Fortunately there's no cure. cheers
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Strange things happen on bikes did the same today 7miles home turned into 35miles somehow maybe we missed a recall Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Great post Smile That's such great freedom!!!! I love to wander.
I have lots of shirts that say..."all who wander are not lost" So true
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Mike,

Nice post and I'm glad you were able to repair your steering trouble before you ran right into the cold lake. I have the same problem every once in awhile myself. Great post..... :yoyo:
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 6:43 am

MikeH wrote:
Rode the S'Wing to get a haircut a couple of days ago. I filled up with gas on the way and reset the trip odometer. It was 6 miles to the place I got the haircut so it should have been a 12 mile round trip.

Going home, I looked down and noticed my odometer indicated I had gone 28 miles and I still wasn't home yet. Hmmmm......must be something wrong with my odometer. I better get that checked.

Then the strangest thing happened. I came to an intersection and the S'Wing unexpectly turned right. I tried to keep it going straight. But it just wouldn't go straight. Now I have a steering problem too!

I ended up on a road that had no intersections for 48.5 miles. No possible way to turn around. 48.5 miles of mountain road, with nice sweeping curves and incredible mountain vistas. What's a person to do? I really needed to go home and mow the lawn.......the darn S'Wing just wouldn't go straight!

I finally got to the next intersection. It was a T. I had to turn left or right. I turned left. After another 41 miles I found myself at Garden City on the shores or Bear Lake. I might as well stop and get some lunch. It might be a long time until I get this steering problem worked out. I need to eat so that I can concentrate.

Finally, the scoot made a left turn when I actually wanted to turn left.....maybe.....just maybe it was going to work correctly now.

From Bear Lake the S'Wing took me up through the beautiful Logan canyon, but I got to the Tony Grove turn off and the S'Wing unexpectedly turned right again. It wouldn't go straight! Finally, at the end of the freshly paved road with hairpin turns, tight twisties, stunning mountain vistas filled with aspen and lodgepole pine there was an opportunity to turn the scoot around. At the end of this road is a beautiful alpine lake set beneath the mountain peaks. Fortunately, the S'Wing does seem to have an aversion to cold water so the 180 degree turn in the parking lot proceeded without incident. Thank goodness. At least left turns seemed to be working.

Back out to the main highway. This would be a real test. Could the S'Wing turn right? Yes! Success! A right turn! Back onto the Logan canyon highway. More stunning scenery. More sweeping 50 mph mountain curves. River on one side, mountain on the other side. Bridges, trees, mountains, lakes, ponds, and blue skies which hadn't been seen in these parts for a couple of weeks. 54 miles from Garden City to Logan including the unexpected side trip to Tony Grove. This steering problem is starting to worry me.

Relief! At Logan, the scooter turned left as I intended. Another 25 miles through Sardine canyon before the next big steering test - a left turn and highway 89. Would the scoot behave this time? Yes! The steering seems to be working perfectly now. another 26 miles and I am home without any further steering problem. Wow, that was looking pretty serious for there for a while. I'm glad things seem to be working correctly now, but I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it.

But that odometer problem???? It should have been a 12 mile round trip to get my haircut. But it was 238 miles?!?!?!?!??????
Can anyone explain that?? :lol!:

Darn it Mike,

And you forget to add that you didn't take a camera with you.... Cos if you had of, then we'd be poring over the pictures now.... Question

Hey, so try and remember for next time when you go to get your hair cut Idea

Bernardo
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 2:53 pm

You know Bernardo - I actually thought about going back home to get my camera. But I told myself.....NO, I'm just going with the impulse to ride. This is spur of the moment and I am just going. Nothing planned about this trip. It just happened. One of those Zen like moments you referred to in your other post.

Not to worry, I'll be happy to repeat the trip, with camera next time :D
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 3:25 pm

MikeH wrote:
You know Bernardo - I actually thought about going back home to get my camera. But I told myself.....NO, I'm just going with the impulse to ride.

It's a good thing you did not ... with your steering problem Razz you could have ended up in Texas. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going straight home   Going straight home I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going straight home
Page 1 of 1