Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing straight ahead steering

Go down 
+6
gooffy
john grinsel
surlybiker58
tarmacburner2
WingMan02
2397rab
10 posters
AuthorMessage
2397rab
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-07-27

Silverwing straight ahead steering Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 4:55 pm

Just bought a Silverwing 2007 model. The steering seems to tighten or stiffen in the straight ahead position, almost like it is in a notch!

The amount of force/push that is required to get the steering to respond and "come out of the straight ahead position" makes the handling problematic to say the least.

Consequently the steering/handling is very much understeer. Presumably because of this fault.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm

hello & welcome Smile the steering headstock bearings are stuffed,over time the balls hammer little pits into the race rings & give you a feeling of self centreing steering
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Was the bike involved in a front end accident? The steering stem bearing races tend to crack when involved with a frontal collision. Either case, you need to disassemble, inspect, and replace the stem bearings.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Prepare for the wrath of the Intro_Police.Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Watch out for Meldrew !
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Start with steering head bearing adjustment
Back to top Go down
gooffy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
gooffy

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 6:21 am

hee hee cant wait

Back to top Go down
2397rab
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for the advice etc. Sounds like a new set of bearings will be on the cards. I'll have my local bike shop take a look and do what's necessary. I hope it also removes some of the 'bounce' I seem to be getting from the front end.
Appears I am about to incur someone's wrath? Not sure what's expected of a newbie. So I'll check other's intro's and take it from there. But not right now.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 pm

2397rab wrote:
Appears I am about to incur someone's wrath? Not sure what's expected of a newbie. So I'll check other's intro's and take it from there. But not right now.
Some guys (the Silver Wing gods) here arent happy until you give your address, home phone number, income, visa card #, social status, # of children, # of wives, # of girlfriends, # of pets, # of vehicles, make of vehicles, height, weight, eye color, hair color, and most importantly what you ate for lunch!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Oh, come on... it ain't that bad... just ask'n for a tad bit of civility. It's never really hurt anyone.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 am

hotwings wrote:
2397rab wrote:
Some guys (the Silver Wing gods) here arent happy until you give your address, home phone number, income, visa card #, social status, # of children, # of wives, # of girlfriends, # of pets, # of vehicles, make of vehicles, height, weight, eye color, hair color, and most importantly what you ate for lunch!

Have you really got time for all this, it's August in a couple of days and you should be making the best of your 'riding season'. Then in October/November you'll have six months to sit at your computer to go on about the Silver Wing gods, and telling us all you wish you could be out riding. Neutral 
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 am

Meldrew wrote:

Have you really got time for all this, it's August in a couple of days and you should be making the best of your 'riding season'. Then in October/November you'll have six months to sit at your computer to go on about the Silver Wing gods, and telling us all you wish you could be out riding. Neutral 
Yep i got time for this. Im on a layed back vacation this week so time is on my side. Wish i was at home right now so i could go riding my Silver Wing. I sure miss riding my Silver Wing. Oh i already mentioned that. Neutral
Back to top Go down
drewsieboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 10:26 am

straight ahead steering is the way to go until you reach a bend then you better put in some bend ahead steering or else y'll be in trouble.pip pip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing straight ahead steering   Silverwing straight ahead steering I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing straight ahead steering
Page 1 of 1