Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A sponge? That's not standard equipment!

Go down 
+2
Gyro
Scoundrel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-04-15

A sponge? That's not standard equipment! Empty
PostSubject: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I had nearly forgotten the joys of buying a used vehicle and discovering the crazy crap that people do.

I was looking for my oil filter under the bike, and I found a sponge wedged between the filter and some hoses that come to a junction there.

I pulled it out and inspected it, and the sponge was not full of any fluid, so I don't think it was there to mask any leaking problems. The bottom of the engine had a bit of oil and crud on it, but it did not seem excessive.

I suspect it was put there to dampen vibration noises. I personally would have used something like a bit of foam rubber and some zip ties, but this was... innovative, I guess.

Can anyone else think of a reason why the previous owner would have put a sponge there?

By the way, the previous owner was the kind of guy who would put a "Fox Motorsports" sticker on the muffler cover to hide some scratches from when the bike was laid down, rather than buy a new $80 cover, or just sand/paint it.

A sponge? That's not standard equipment! Download
Attachments
A sponge? That's not standard equipment! AttachmentSponge.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(136 Kb) Downloaded 142 times
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm

rolling laughter

:not worthy:
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Keeps the pipe away from the filter, just using something that was to hand.

If nothing else you now have a free bath sponge, or use it for what the Romans did with sponges (on a stick).

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Oh, yuk!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Is the water hose OEM or homemade repair---sponge is good as anything if there is rubbing-----the rubbing I am sure is not in the standard honda design. I know used sometimes has to be brought back to normal.
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 pm

They look like OEM hoses. I'll take a closer look later and secure the hoses with a less ghetto method.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 am

It looks like a washing up sponge so you can put it to good use when you find an alternative solution. Personally, if there is contact between the pipe and the filter a short length of water pipe insulation should do the job. (In the UK the foam pipe lagging is grey - don't know if it is the same across the pond).

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 am

Yeah, that stuff is readily available in various diameters for cheap at the local hardware store, and it is dark grey. That's not a bad idea. I used that stuff on my Polaris RZR to cover a bar I kept banging my elbow on.

I'll start with just seeing if I can just use a cable tie to keep that hose out of the way, and if that doesn't work I'll think about the foam.

Why is it a problem for the hose to be touching the filter?
The only things I can think of is either vibration noise, or one of the clamps scratching a hole in the filter.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I think if you loosen that top hose clip you will be able to twist the pipe away from the filter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm

That's worth a try. Maybe I'll give it a go this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A sponge? That's not standard equipment!   A sponge? That's not standard equipment! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A sponge? That's not standard equipment!
Page 1 of 1