Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby bjkaraoke Today at 11:30

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri 10 May 2024, 23:57

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri 10 May 2024, 21:36

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri 10 May 2024, 12:11

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri 10 May 2024, 10:20

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed 08 May 2024, 16:11

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue 07 May 2024, 13:46

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue 07 May 2024, 10:46

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat 04 May 2024, 20:11

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri 03 May 2024, 07:33

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??

Go down 
+5
Cosmic_Jumper
tinman
eddy
tarmacburner2
tracab
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tracab
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
tracab

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-08-30

aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? Empty
PostSubject: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeFri 05 Apr 2013, 14:16

Hello all.

I am trying to decide if it is too soon to install 24 gr. Dr. Pulley Sliders on the Swing. I currently have ~5400 miles on her. It is a 2004 I bought last year, so the belt is 9 years old. I am wondering if I should replace the belt too since I am in there. Should I wait to do both at the same time at 16,000 miles?? Any comments would be great.

Thanks again everyone.

Happy riding for those of you who are still not snow/salt covered.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeFri 05 Apr 2013, 15:07

Replace the sliders now. No need to do the belt for another 10K miles.

The difference in the performance will be worth it.

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeFri 05 Apr 2013, 15:14

The strength of the belt is not the rubber.
But the very strong fiber KEVLAR cords in the belt.

- No need to replace before 16000 mls.

- I find the stock variator parts fine.

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeFri 05 Apr 2013, 15:18

I have 31k kl on belt and rollers ,I do a oil .an diff oil change , belt and rollers inspection every 10k kl. I rotate the rollers 1/4 turn and everything is good .95% is HWY riding.I will order new belt and sliders for next oil change. I still get 65+ mpg . It all depend's on your driving habits ,and comfort zone.I ride a 09 swing. Some change belt's at 16 k miles others have more then double that distance with no problems.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeFri 05 Apr 2013, 15:20

Hmmm, that kinda depends: 5400 miles is nothing, so I wouldn't replace the belt for that reason. But then 9 years is a long time.

You can also replace those variator sliders anytime you fancy. So you could use that opportunity to inspect the belt. You are not going to find any measurable wear on the belt, but you should closely inspect it for small cracks and 'dry rot'.

Or you could replace the belt and sliders now and have peace of mind going forward. Reset the "V" light when you change the belt and it will be good for another 16000 miles from whatever the odo reads when you reset the light.

Save the old belt for an emergency spare. HTH

Tim

PS: Please say "Hello" to Col. Bob, El Jeffe of the Minn-Max group for me.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeFri 05 Apr 2013, 17:26

Having now near 300,000 miles with rubber band drive scooters...I have some experience #1 bike is older #2 Age replace belt for piece of mind. I have had good luck with only OEM belts and rollers changed at makers mile recommendation. Only suffered one broken bent underway. Recently rode my Burgman 400, 20,000 miles on original belt, belt made it, warranty paid for outer rear bearing, front pulley, rollers...belt replacement my cost as it is wear item.

Since I do not like to walk or have trouble far from home: change belt.
Trouble on the road=expensive and of course dealer will not have required belt in stock. I carry spare.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeFri 05 Apr 2013, 21:38

Short of it: I would do the sliders now. Keep your rollers for backup. Don't do the belt.

I just recently switched to Dr. Pulley sliders on my 2012, at about 5100 miles (26g; I love them).

When I did this, the belt was about 1/4 the way between the new measurement and the out of service measurement (note that it's a strange procedure to check for belt wear, it's not just measuring the width). Definitely measurable wear, but not anything to worry about and I'd be shocked if anyone found enough to be concerned about at 5xxx miles. But it's never a bad thing to check things out when you are in there - I just wouldn't worry about it too much if I didn't have a good way to measure it. I believe that Honda says you should start checking belt wear at 12,000 miles and replace whichever is sooner: the measurement exceeds the wear limit or 16,000 miles since last change.

At 4,000 miles you're supposed to check out the clutch for wear so you might do that when you are in there. I did that - found no measurable wear on the bell, and about 6% wear on the clutch shoes (.19mm of wear compared to Honda's provided "new" measurement). That's mostly high speed highway driving.

I clean that air filter in the variator anytime I can.

I don't know about the belt's age affecting wear, so I'll let others speak on that.

When you put it back together, suck the belt into the clutch by squeezing the top and bottom of the belt together as you're putting the variator together (the video of the Italian dude doing it shows how to do that). I'd minimize turning of the crank (particularly backwards, as many suggest - engines generally don't like to be turned backwards, even though the Silver Wing seems to be pretty hard to destroy this way). Squeezing into the clutch pulleys gives you plenty of slack. Oil the threads on both the crankshaft and the variator bolt, and use exactly 76 ft lbs of torque. Don't take any shortcuts on this part or you'll ruin the bolt and possibly a whole lot more (over torquing is just as bad as under torquing here, even if you don't strip anything - the head of that special bolt is slightly undercut to provide positive locking of the variator and will deform with too much torque, causing your variator to come apart later)
Back to top Go down
tracab
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
tracab

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 02:19

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to do the sliders and hold off on the belt til 16,000 miles. I ordered a set of 24 gr. sliders and should be here early next week. Thanks again everyone. Take Care.
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 06:31

I am a small guy. If you drive mostly conservative, your belt will easily last over 20,000 miles. I have over 100,000 miles on Silverwing and all my belts broke well over 25,000 miles.

If you are a heavy set and drive it hard, I will change it at 20,000. I don't personally don't know anybody who broke a belt at 16,000.
LN
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 10:41

LN did you get any damage to your Swing when you broke the belt or did you replace before belt fell apart ?Did you do belt inspections .
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 10:56

Leave old belt on.....ride a lot.....carry new spare....dealers will not have one in stock for emergency.

I don't waste time checking/measuring.....just change at recommended miles. One broken belt in near 300,000 miles. Had spare/Helix/=easy change with carried tools

I don't change rollers----want something with difference performance than SilverWing, buy a motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
lucian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 17:06

It is not like on the car that has a timing belt. There nothing to be damaged inside. It may take a little to clean up. It will look like your belt had exploded. When I know it is time to change it , I carry all the sockets with me. If you go to an autoshop it takes seconds to remove the drive pulley with an air gun. My second Silverwing has 26,000 miles on original belt.

If you live in a dense area with a lot of traffic, i will change the belt at 20,000 If you are in the middle of nowhere ... let it break.

Drive safe.

LN
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??   aftermarket  oem belt - Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too soon for Sliders and Replace belt??
Page 1 of 1