Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld

Go down 
+5
model28a
tinman
jose.illegal
Yaj
WingMan02
9 posters
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 12:30 am

I agree with Wingman02. I used to have a shop where I refurbished old Goldwings. Honda used ABS plastic for the Silvewing fairings just like they did on the Goldwings. The strongest adhesive I've found is the Black ABS cement sold in hardware stores. You can make putty out of it if you need to build up an area as well, just grind or file a piece of black ABS pipe fitting and mix it with ABS cement to the texture of a stiff putty. This putty works well to beef up a worn part of a fairing. Just be sure you sand off the paint on the fairing part your want to cement to.

ABS cement works because it is accomplishing a chemical weld with the ABS substrate. I've experimented with several types of adhesive, plastic cement, epoxy, and a couple others by putting a blob of each on a piece of an old fender and then trying to pry it off after 24 hours of curing. All pried off except the ABS putty.

For extra reinforcement if needed I used fiber glass mesh, used in drywall finishing. A couple of layers of that cloth and ABS cement is very strong. Just trim a piece large enough to span a crack or break, give the plastic a thin coat of ABS cement lay the reinforcement over the mesh and give it another thin coat of ABS Cement. You can add additional coats of ABS if you want a nice smooth surface. Just let each coat cure before adding another. Otherwise your piece of fairing might melt in the patch area.

One thing to be careful about is don't put a lot of ABS cement on a piece of ABS, especially a thin piece. The ABS cement can soften the substrate if it's applied too thickly. Just use several thin applications allowing each to harden before adding more.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks to all. I do appreciate how the gurus of this website always find time to answer all the questions we ask. I am going to buy the Plastex. I see no reason to drill holes and screw anything I can't see
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 9:30 am

ABS glue and buy an ABS pipe fitting, grind up the fitting to make a coarse powder and use the glue to make a thick paste, form your own tap or post. I used this on a lot of G'Wing panels owners just yanked off carelessly. Just make sure the area to be reworked is very clean.Use this on larger areas with cracks and mesh, it work well at stated in the previous post.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 7:19 am

johnd wrote:
It is time again to remake and reglue the tabs on the scoot.
For years I have used the ABS and drywall tape. last time I tried plastic epoxy glue. I don't know yet what parts failed but I just watched something on using aluminum mesh and professional epoxy with a hardener.
Anyone tried this method yet and had good results?

John, Have you used Plast-Aid? The stuff is great, and/but there is no reason why your aluminum mesh or Tinman's copper wire couldn't be used as the base for Plast-Aid tabs as well. Unnecessary, but it could be done that way too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGzjWeK-nY. Available on eBay.

Tim
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Professional Epoxy and hardener.   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 11:32 pm

It is time again to remake and reglue the tabs on the scoot.
For years I have used the ABS and drywall tape. last time I tried plastic epoxy glue. I don't know yet what parts failed but I just watched something on using aluminum mesh and professional epoxy with a hardener.
Anyone tried this method yet and had good results?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 pm

tinman, I think remember the video you'r referring to, and I think I found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GRNvPSf7k
Is this the one?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 pm

2 years ago there was a video on using 2/14 copper wire U clip to reinforce broken tags and using a tie rap as a filler. I did not find it , but there is a lot more that using a powder and a liquid urethan to make missing peaces . There is a wealth of information that was not there a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 pm

I've said it before Google can be your friend. Smile
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+weld+motorcycle+plastic+body+parts&rlz=1C1AFAB_
enUS448US449&oq=how+to+weld+motorcycle+plastic+body+parts&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 8:07 pm

The black tie straps are compatible there is a video on U tube that show how to weld motorcycle plastic body parts .Its a very good demonstration on how to do the repairs.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Tinman,
Any Videos? I have been cutting/shaping old plastic parts from my swing into tabs and using the ABS pipe cement to melt and glue the pieces to form a tab. I reinforce it with adhesive drywall tape, then applying ABS cement over it. I have not thought about using tie rap straps, but might give a try. How do you determine if the tie straps are abs plastic?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 pm

You can also make a cooper wire tab shape it like a tab clean the broken tab of the melt haft way in ,the with peace of ABS pipe,melt it over for stiffening ,A tie rap melted with heat gun will work.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 pm

My tabs are missing. Can I use JB Weld to fabricate the tabs?
Back to top Go down
jose.illegal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:14 pm

I am a plumber by trade and when we use Fiber-cast pipe we have a kit that is some super strong fiberglass that we use to make up the joint. I have used it to repair plastic fairing and side covers on other bikes. Seems to work real well.
Back to top Go down
Yaj
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Yaj

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 pm

I fixed the plastic tabs on our Helix's leg fairings with JB Weld And fender washers. All the tabs weren't completely broken and I was able to JB Weld the washers right over the spot the original holes where and use the original screws, and then the foot padding covers most of the washer. Looks fine. Make sure you scratch up both surfaces to be glued so you get a better purchase with the glue.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

PostSubject: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Anyone know how to use JB Weld to replace missing plastic mounting tabs? I've tried searching without any results.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld   renew black plastic - Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fabricating plastic tabs with JB Weld
Page 1 of 1