Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-09-18

Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing Empty
PostSubject: Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing   Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 5:18 pm

Hello all!

I'm not a regular poster here, but I've been on the forum since I bought my first swing in 2018; and had been lurking here since 2015 or so.

I don't really use social media or forums much, except to gather information, but I wanted to share this news with someone.

On 9/11, my lady and I were in an accident involving a crv and my swing. Both of us were injured, but, more importantly, my bike was totalled.

I had wanted a silverwing since around 2007, but I was too poor to get one, and I'd given up all hope of finding a new(ish) one after they discontinued them in the US (where I am).

However, in 2018, I found one on Craigslist. Pretty much new, with only 5000 garage kept miles, 2013, for only $3500. The guy who sold it to me was sketchy as all hell, and I was certain I wouldn't be able to get a title transfer, but I figured it was my only chance, so I handed over my cash, happily.

Fast forward to 9/11, someone doing deliveries decides to left turn cut through a parking lot last minute and veers into our oncoming lane without looking, and we hit head on.

I herniate 3 discs and the lady gets a fracture requiring surgery, but worse, my swings entire face has been destroyed, her forks twisted up, and her handle bars bent. I saw her lying in the ditch, while the lady screamed in pain in the middle of the road, and all I could think was "a salvage title isn't that bad".

But I knew I was lying to myself. I knew it was over, I knew insurance would never give me what she was worth, and I knew I'd never find one with less than 40,000 miles for $3500; if I ever found another one at all.

But, every day, as I'd done since 2015, I got on Craigslist, and I browsed the scooters, mopeds, and silverwing results; and just the very day after insurance paid out KBB, I found one.

A silver 2007, with 3100 miles, for $3500 dollars. I made the call, found a ride, and went to grab it.

Now, I had been in quite a bit of pain since the accident, but I've gotta say, the 90 minutes of interstate home was absolute bliss.

I only racked up 30,000 miles in the time I owned my first one, but I know it would have gone at least another 120, with all the knowledge everyone here has shared (were it not for the advent of smart phones and gig culture), and I thank you all (present and passed) for building the foundation for the hope to flip this ones odometer!

I don't know if the site domain is expiring, or what, but I just wanted to share that with y'all, just in case.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing   Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 7:44 pm

Very sorry to hear of the collision and more importantly, the injuries sustained. Glad you’re able to ride again and found a new SWing to ride- not sure what’s happening with the domain name thing, but we’re all still here.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing   Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 am

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you found a low mileage Swing. I myself was involved in an accident with my swing and bike was totaled but I received only scratches and a few bruises because of leather jacket and helmet. It took me ten weeks to get paid by insurance but happy with payment. Now I'm on my fifth swing and hopefully my last. Take care and hope you and your wife recover very soon....Al
Back to top Go down
Redfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing   Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 7:33 am

Greetings,

At the risk of sounding like a vulture I'd like to know if you may still have the owner's manual from the wrecked Swing?

I am resurrecting an abused and neglected 2009 Swing.

Please let me know if you have a manual or service manual.

Thank you,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing   Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 1:01 pm

Thank you all for the well wishes!
Bill, I do not still have the owners manual, however, if you've got plenty of paper and ink, you can find the service manual on here. There's a full pdf. I think it's the Haynes.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing   Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 07, 2023 5:37 pm

Hi Redfox.

Here's the Service Manual link. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cpsqEmvlpa4A4qDPLVGbqlwMfpqnZ0EM

Hope this helps.
Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing   Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bike was totalled, but I found a pretty much new swing
Page 1 of 1