Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Variator Nut

Go down 
+8
RickV
Dimond
jmaslak
WingMan02
tarmacburner2
Silverwing28681
buddy19520
yahooie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Can anyone tell me how to keep the variator nut from coming loose? I just changed my rollers to Dr. Pulley sliders and yesterday on the way home from work I broke down. Luckily it was just the variator nut came loose. I want to prevent this from happening again. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 5:22 pm

76 foot-pounds of torque when you put it back on.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Didn't do the trick. Still came loose
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 5:57 pm

On my little taotao scooter I blew through the specs and hammerd it down with my snap on 1/2 impact gun ! its a 17mm nut and it never came loose, you know how many rpms those little GY6 engines turn on top end, I guess what Im saying is put a little extra on it !

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Try some Engineering Adhesive (Loctite) on it. Never heard of one coming loose so soon after being tightened up to the correct torque. What are you holding the variator with?

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 pm

After torquing it to 76 ft lbs, you should start the bike and let the belt seat. Stop the engine, and re-torque it back down to 76 ft lbs.

I used an aluminum bar with three holes at one end of the bar. The two outer holes are used to insert a four inch bolt into the two holes in the variator, and the middle hole is large enough to insert the socket onto the nut. When you loosen/tighten the variator the bar will extend to the floor/ground and hold the variator from turning.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Don't pinch the belt when tightening the bolt. If you tighten against the belt, that will guarantee it will come loose.

Don't use locktite. You won't get it off later when you need to.
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Yes if locktite and it gets hot then cools it will be on there for good
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 pm

buddy19520 wrote:
76 foot-pounds of torque when you put it back on.
+1

WingMan02 wrote:
After torquing it to 76 ft lbs, you should start the bike and let the belt seat. Stop the engine, and re-torque it back down to 76 ft lbs.

I used an aluminum bar with three holes at one end of the bar. The two outer holes are used to insert a four inch bolt into the two holes in the variator, and the middle hole is large enough to insert the socket onto the nut. When you loosen/tighten the variator the bar will extend to the floor/ground and hold the variator from turning.
+1

jmaslak wrote:
Don't pinch the belt when tightening the bolt. If you tighten against the belt, that will guarantee it will come loose.

Don't use locktite. You won't get it off later when you need to.
+1
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for the input. Already ruled out the locktite
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Spin the belt while tighting the nut, it will stay on then
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 6:50 am

As regards engineering adhesives, there are various grades depending on whether you want a more permanent grip or one that can be undone at a later date.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Just to share my 1st time experience of replacing the variator and installing Dr. Pulley sliders.

My biggest issue was getting the outer half of the variator [drive pulley face] back on the splines before tightening the nut. I followed a suggestion to tighten the nut manually a bit and then rotate the variator by hand to move the belt and keep doing this process a few times. Then used my plywood variator tool and tightened with a torque wrench. Started the scoot and ran the belt up and down a bit and then checked the torque again. I have since had the cover off and the nut still torques out correctly. Followed the manual instructions and lightly oiled the nut threads and seating surface. Have 2k plus since install.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm

I just checked the nut after about 70 miles and she is on there pretty good. Hopefully to stay this time. Lol.
Back to top Go down
pippobis2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pippobis2

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 am

I use a pneumatic gun...............
look this video the my friend
video technique
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SWCI&aq=f

Last edited by pippobis2 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pippobis2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pippobis2

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:17 am

Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm

pippobis2 wrote:

Thanks for the videos. What is he applying to the clutch from the little packets before he adds on the lube?
Back to top Go down
pippobis2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pippobis2

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm

I don't know.....Sorry.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Two 'O' rings

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Freakin nut came loose again. This time in The middle of the sticks and its pitch freakin black out at night. Mosquitos the size of dragon flies. This should be fun. Pushed it half a mile into a development under construction so I am at least off of the highway. And as luck would have it I took all if the tools out from under the seat as the nut was on there I thought to stay. I am afraid to see what the variator front piece will look like not to mention the inside of the cover. Sad
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Keep us posted !
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Did you tork the variator nut.This the first time that its keeps happening to anyone. The variator spins counter clock to the nut. Are you missing a washer?
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 pm

All pieces are there. I didn't have torque wrench when fixing on the side of the road tonight but I tightened it as much as I could by hand. Don't know if I will cause damage by over tightening it or not. The aluminum cover was not in great shape when I took it off tonight. The opening around the variator is now a bit larger with the variator now haven broken off quite a bit of it. I plan on installing the original rollers and taking it to the dealer and play dumb.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 am

Are you sure the nut is the OEM one ?A self locking nut must be your next choise.Advise "gently" the dealer to do so.
Back to top Go down
pippobis2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pippobis2

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 am

also in Italy, I've never heard of a case like this.

I think, you have to replace the bolt.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 am

Replace the Variator face plate and nut if there is any damage to it .A unbalance variator can cause the bolt to unscrew it self. It could be a factory defect.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am

I don't want this happening to me. Did you oil the threads the second time you did this? Did you use a torque wrench to tighten it? I want to know if I need to do something other than the book says.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 12:12 pm

To me this is a isolated problem,damage could have happen the fist time that the bolt and face plate came un done. It is possible damage could also happen to the spline shaft. Check for any side play on the shaft spline and face plate . The manual might have tolerance clearance to the shaft,for warpage . Using a caulk tape to a stick and slowly touch the side of the face plate will show any sine of any warpage.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Variator has no noticeable wobble to it. All seems fine.

Can anyone tell me if cranking down the bolt as much as I can by hand would cause any damage?
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Now this is very subjective.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 pm

I used torque wrench when I first changed the sliders . The first break down I didn't have the torque wrench with me so I just tightened it as much as I could by hand with the socket wrench. When I got it home I used the variator holding tool and checked the nut and it was still as tight as I could get it with the socket wrench. That lasted a week until last night when I broke down on the way home. It tore in to the aluminum housing but everything seems fine. I bright the tools to work with me this morning and when I checked the bolt on my lunch break it was as tight as I could get it. I have no clue what is causing it to come loose.

Could it be me drag racing against all of the kids in their little foreign cars?
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Be carefull.You're dealing with the crank
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

If you tighten it too much, you can strip the threads. One would need to tap it out to the next size and buy a specialty bolt somewhere like Fastenal. Hopefully that isn't your problem and it is something else (hopefully the last owner of your scoot didn't strip them - but if he did and then used locktite or something, it might explain this). Damaged threads would let the bolt fall out. If your lucky, only the bolt is damaged.

I am also assuming that everyone talking about the nut is referring to not a typical nut, but really a bolt. If not, then I am confused.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm

No its the bolt,get your self a tork wrench tork to 76 ft lb,and take the guest work out of it.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Depending on the wrench you're using to snug the bolt it's unlikely you'd damage it from over torquing. 76 ftlbs is a pretty hard pull on a 3/8" drive ratchet or a 10" box end wrench. If you were using a 1/2" breaker bar I'd say reefing down on that could exceed the max torque. It seems to me that there's something other than bolt tension that's causing the problem. Either something is warped or bent or possibly a washer left out. If the hole where the bolt passes through has wowed out oversized it's possible you won't be able to keep the bolt in. What ever is causing the problem I seriously doubt it's bolt tension.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Variator Nut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Variator Nut   Variator Nut I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Variator Nut
Page 1 of 1