Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

J Costa Variator

Go down 
+3
allhondascoots
The Scootist
MaxB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:42 am

I just wanted to say thanks to Jeff R and others for their insight into the J Costa variator.
I purchased one from scootertrap. com and installed it over the weekend.
I had used Dr. Pulley sliders last season and was impressed with them over stock. But comparing them to the J Costa is like night and day.
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Even if i have to replace the pins at belt changes, it seems worth it to me.
the acceleration (limited so far due to cold temps) is amazing compared to the Dr. Pulley 28 gr. sliders.

Can't wait for temps in the upper 40's-50's to get more time on this setup.
So far better takeoff, no lag. No belt slap noticed.
The best part is WFO roll on. (BIG GRIN)

Again thanks, It changes a sedate scoot to a acceptable semi-hot rod.
MaxB
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:06 am

MaxB:
Your reaction to adding the J Costa was just like mine - and pretty everyone else who has added it. And if you really want to maximize the "Zoom factor" of your Swing, you may want to consider adding a K&N air filter, drilling the air box, and putting on a Leo Vince exhaust...
Back to top Go down
allhondascoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
allhondascoots

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-21

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:57 pm

+2 for the J Costa.

I've only used it on the "other" bike, and it had a huge difference for the 250cc
Not sure that I'll ever feel the need to increase the perf of 600cc...for now!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Max,

I'm glad any info I gave helped you out. I had the J. Costa on for at least a year, and 2 pin changes, then tried the 28g sliders and now have the 21g sliders. The J. Costa is far the best performance wise but the 21g are very good too. That J. costa really makes the SWing one heck of a performer!!! Have fun and stay safe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:44 am

JeffR:
Nice to see you post. You have been rather quiet lately. Do I remember correctly that you tried out a set of Metzlers on your bike? I hope to get mine installed sometime this week and was wondering what other riders think of them. Take care.
DCC
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 am

JeffR wrote:
Max,

I'm glad any info I gave helped you out. I had the J. Costa on for at least a year, and 2 pin changes, then tried the 28g sliders and now have the 21g sliders. The J. Costa is far the best performance wise but the 21g are very good too. That J. costa really makes the SWing one heck of a performer!!! Have fun and stay safe.

Jeff

Did you ever get around to mixing the sliders? If so, what were the results?

Also, everyone seems to sing the praises of the JCosta. Would you care to comment on what prompted you to revert back to the original variator w/ sliders? IIRC you were using the sliders before you went to the JCosta.

Tim
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Also, everyone seems to sing the praises of the JCosta. Would you care to comment on what prompted you to revert back to the original variator w/ sliders?

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/i-installed-the-dr-pulley-sliders-t485.htm?#3322
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 pm

The Scootist wrote:
JeffR:
Nice to see you post. You have been rather quiet lately. Do I remember correctly that you tried out a set of Metzlers on your bike? I hope to get mine installed sometime this week and was wondering what other riders think of them. Take care.
DCC

I have been somewhat quiet lately but am back since we aren't working in the pizza place anymore. We are silent partners now. I am going to have my Metzlers installed this saturday so I will give a review. Hopefully they will be as good, or near as good, as the Diablo's. I will also get the wheel bearings replaced too. I get back to you all this Saturday.

Tim,

I haven't mixed the sliders yet but I expect to do that this Sunday after I get the tires changed out. I just haven't had the time but hope to do that this weekend. I think the 21 gram sliders give the SWing comparable performance to the J. Costa but just revs too much at the lower speeds. And I got so used to the smoothness of the 28 gr sliders that I'm missing it now. But I'm going to mix them for awhile and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-08

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:19 am

Dear JeffR,

I m using 21g Dr Pulley Slider too (about 2 week) and can feel the performance improvement. But still feel that the Torque Spring/driven spring(the big spring at rear side) need to replace with more stiff (Malossi Brand) to prevent slipping, this can observe from "rpm". Are you agree with me??

Today, an experience mechanic told me, the performance of Dr pulley "slider type" will not last more than 3 month, due to sliding method but not the conventional rolling method. He claim that once the dust build up between the slider and variator , then will cause the sliding effective drop (the performance drop). Sametime the variator surface will damage too. Posible? or True? pl Advise

Thank you

From
Chia kk
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Chia,

I really don't know enough about the rear spring to give any advice. Maybe someone else can comment on that. But I think your mechanic is totally wrong about the sliders only lasting 3 months. The 28 gram sliders I had lasted more than that and when I took them out they didn't show much wear at all. I am going to put them back in soon since the 21 grams just seem to run at too high of an rpm at the lower speeds.

I was coming home today doing 50 indicated and my rpms were at 4800, which is way too high for me. I think I will mix the weights just to see what happens but I do miss the really smooth ride with the 28 grams. Also, my variator didn't show any damage that I could see. I think your mechanic is wrong about the sliders and the variator, but that is my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Chia KK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-08

J Costa Variator Empty
PostSubject: Re: J Costa Variator   J Costa Variator I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 2:27 am

Dear JeffR

Appreciate your shared experience and i felt less worry about slider now.

Thank you

From
Chia
Back to top Go down

J Costa Variator
Page 1 of 1