Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New scooter/Bike time?

Go down 
+8
jdeereanton
"Hi Yo"
GHM-PM
tarmacburner2
exavid
rodenbach
Waspie
john grinsel
12 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

New scooter/Bike time? Empty
PostSubject: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 am

I am within 120 days of getting new scooter/bike. Current left over 2011 Burgman 400 at 21,000 plus miles since Feb 2012---just had new drive belt (got 20,000 out of original) and extensive warranty --new front pulley, rollers, rear clutch outer bearing---parts were just worn out! So I should be able to ride until 40,000 with no trouble/extra money spent.

So---I rode to Atlanta last Sat=2 Vespa dealers (I have had fun with Vespa in past)---but dealers are charging MSRP plus set up/freight for already overpriced scooter.....and I am not going to ride 125 miles to dealer. Chattanooga has Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha/Kymco active dealers---Kawsaki no interest to me at this time. BMW also in my neighbor hood but have no interest in overpriced engine by Kymco.

HD Sportster has worked for me in past (3) So went to local HD dealer---said I would pay MSRP minus 10% plus tax----then I would have to convert it to being useful--Plexfairing, Givi Carrier and bags, raised rear shocks, seat, etc. Real project for bike that is slower than 250 Suzuki Skywave 250 (Burgman scooter) I know as one smoked me several times on Expressway in Japan on my 883.
Then the idiot salesman said---the cheapest they could sell $7900 bike for was $9400....and their service Dept would have to install my mods....So forget about that deal. I hope I don't look that stupid----but he said they could finance "proper clothes" I assume the usual Halloween costume, most HD riders wear---I had ridden in on rainy day in Aerostich pants and jacket----which work well in rain. So that deal and thoughts down the drain. And, oh $13.95 a qt oil if you use their service dept. My HD riding history dates to 1955, ending 2002.

So where are we now?----no repeat on Burgman 400 as I am tired of scooters with engine and rear end going up and down together. All scooters, including my Silverwing, I am also tired of replacing drive belts/removing muffler for rear wheel removal. And expensive "packing"/gasket!

My choices are----Best price left over SilverWing at Southern Honda @$7800-8000, black not safest color, but I like the still silver wheels. Givi stuff easily available, the adjustable windshield absolute required, No electric outlet for my heated bib (Aerostich)...another project, AND the hassle with Belt and rear wheel changes. Stay tuned on this one.

Other Burgman 650--white---rear wheel comes off with no muffler removal, Executive probably no windshield change required---ridden one once, heavy, performance about same as SilverWing--Givi rack available

People say trans trouble----they are the ones who have purchased used, several years old and then want Suzuki to fix free. As purchaser of only new I wouldn't worry for the first year.
LAST: TOOexpensive left over Honda NT700V's, purchase my traded in NT700V from dealer, or the new NC700 from Honda----but it requires center stand/Givi E-21 Bags and rack, probablyCalSci windshield--but bike under $7000, I don't mind drive chain and oiling it.....but no SHIMS to adjust valves=wonderful. Of course i could buy TU250 Suzuki bike for fun and keep scooter for wet days.

2013 ought to be fun for me. I really want turn key operation----not time spent making a bike/scooter useful as my transport. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 am

john grinsel wrote:
I am within 120 days of getting new scooter/bike.

2013 ought to be fun for me. I really want turn key operation----not time spent making a bike/scooter useful as my transport. Thoughts?

Thinks you have enough thoughts of your own there John.

I just want my own Wing back from the menders right now - getting bored!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 pm

No such worries for me:
besides the financial aspect, there isn't a single new model on the market that can excite me enough to trade in the SW.

I've had a number of Moto Guzzi, and had a mate who sold them new until a couple of years ago, when he retired. I have ridden almost every bike he sold over three decades, (Guzzi / Aprilia / Cagiva / Montesa / Bultaco / Ducati / Morini / Triumph... and even CZ and Jawa) and can really appreciate a good Guzzi. They are currently producing some retro-style bikes and have just announced a new 1400cc California. That is the only new bike I would consider to buy.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 am

That Ducatti California is a great looking bike. I like the for and aft mounting of the V twin, that should reduce the vibration felt by the rider. I couldn't ride one with the California name though.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 5:59 am

At least you have four months to make up your mind.

I would imagine the main factor for you John is the type of riding you do - long journeys as opposed to running down to the shops.

On this forum the Silverwing has got to be the machine of choice'.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 am

The left over SilverWings remain competitive in price and I know they can be made buffet free and as Honda pretty trouble free. Solid Engine mount-----not much fun to work on, though.

Guzzi--I had one of the original V-7's #1850----but in US really no dealers and Italian parts service---only one real active dealer in near Kansas City.

Ducati----ever pay for a valve adjust on one of them? They sound nice, don't shake (90 degree V). Doubt if they would stand up to my daily use.

Of course I don't have to buy, but TN very boring place to live and new bike project keeps me busy and planning.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 7:49 am

I agree with tarmac, John this is a Silver Wing forum so yes our answers are going to be slightly biased... Smile

I bought my Wing because of seating position and legendary Honda reliability. Since May, I have 4900 miles on mine and absolutely NO regrets. No maintenance yet except two oil changes and tire pressure checks.

Good luck with your search!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 am

Remember I have already had one new SilverWing and enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New scooter/Bike time? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Would anyone else like to see the reaction of the sales people and service department when they see John coming? Smile
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 pm

"Hi Yo" wrote:
Would anyone else like to see the reaction of the sales people and service department when they see John coming? Smile
x1(9 x kajillion) Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Salespeople....will not buy from salesman who drove pickup to work.

Service Dept.----go to them for warranty work....and ask who rode bike to work today. Any reg. Service don't go in many cases as they are simply too high and sometimes don't get it right anyway.

Took Wife's new Hyundai Gensis (I pay) for 7500 mile service today---they did computer check of any recalls/programs, oil and filter change, washed.
$28.41! AND everything done right! Not going to happen in bike shop.

Purchase of bikes, I have bought over 75 new since 1955 including some duds----I ask questions of salespeople....that they should know in bike shop.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am

John:
It sounds like you are having fun evaluating what bike to get next. You mentioned some very good choices. I hope to add a bike to my stable in the next year too. I plan to keep the Silverwing for everyday commuting, but I would like to have a larger bike that would handle two people in comfort while riding in the mountains. The Silverwing just doesn't have enough power for me at 10,000 feet above sea level when I have a passenger. The bikes I am considering include some sport touring models (2013 Yamaha FJR and Triumph Trophy) and adventure-touring bikes (Yamaha Super Tenere and Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200). I also like what I have read about the Honda NC700X, but it seems like it is very similar to what I all ready have with my Silverwing and I would like to get a bike that does some other things. My wife mentioned that she wouldn't mind riding on a Gold Wing (who wouldn't), but I don't know if I like the idea of riding around on an 850 pound beast every day. I must say though, it is fun reading about all the available bikes and deciding which one(s) best suit your riding needs.

Last edited by The Scootist on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Stay away from a Goldwing, once you get used to one it's hard to give up. I'm between Goldwings right now, I've ridden them for a lot of years but some knee problems at the moment caused me to sell my '01 GL1800. The SW is enough for a while but I can't say I won't look for another GW in a year or so to park beside the SW. The two touring bikes I'd recommend would be the GW or the ST1300. For a passenger there's nothing like a Goldwing. It really doesn't notice a passenger, performance doesn't hardly change at all. Even at altitudes of 11000' feet the power drop isn't all that noticeable. That big super smooth six has to be experienced to be believed.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm

I wouldn't mind picking up a Yamaha XT250 dual sport at some point. 2013 models have fuel injection! Unfortunately I can't spare 5 grand to get one...

Sad
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Have ridden 6 cyl GoldWing=no thanks. Barge. Had 4 Electra Glides=slow barge. New Kawasaki Voyager (92, not the cruiser they have now)--better barge, top opening bags, articulated center stand---no valve adjustment...and ridden like motorcycle faster than GoldWing. Others, Concours (mine went 56,000 miles as spare), ST Honda, Yamaha FJR, etc too hot behind fairing.

I am fussy and now old....have to think of bikes/scooters that are easy to get up on lift. None I dream about, just need new replacement that willl be interesting for year or so. When thinking about passenger----think passenger seat level with rider's seat---keeps their head out of blast of wind---Bonneville/Vespa/, ???? Women liked my 6T Thunerbird (vibs), orginal V-7 Guzzi, BMW R75/5,R60/6,R80RT---all level passenger seats----SilverWing really puts them in blast as do many modern machines. too bad, also CG is raised.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

I agree about the Concours, it was an attempt to unseat the Goldwing 1200 from it's position as the best touring bike. None of Goldwing's Japanese rivals has been able to do that. The GL1800 is still the king of the mountain with the only real contender being the BMW. If you think the GW a barge, you haven't tried canyon carving with an 1800. That barge also does the 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds which ain't bad for a barge either. Top speed is only 129mph (on mine with portable GPS) but that's where the RPM limiter comes in. It doesn't take long to get there either. granted it's not a sports bike but it wasn't intended to be. I've ridden GWs from Seattle, WA to San Diego, made a trip across the US from OR to South Carolina and don't believe there's a better bike for touring which is what it's designed for. HD being a slow barge I can't disagree with. The Harley is a great 1950s bike.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Think we are getting Concours and Voyager mixed up---I had both as new, Voyager would outrun Goldwing 6, pull trailer better, nice radio. Got 45-50mpg ridden fast. Top box mounting a little mickey mouse.

Concours 1000cc---hot behind lower fairing, not fun to work on--reliable as anvil---way overweight.Not fast enough for Germany, really top heavy.

I just have no interest in GoldWing and its weight. They appear to last, use lots of gas ridden hard
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Yes I was in error, I was indeed thinking of the Voyager 1200s. They always looked a lot like the mid eighties Goldwings. The big Hondas do last, a fellow near here has just a bit over 400,000 miles on his '93 1500. He has replaced the clutch, alternator and waterpump besides the normal consumables. There was one on eBay last year with 515k miles. I'll grant you the 1500 wasn't all that sporty but the 1800 changed the picture quite a bit. I really did love that engine, smooth as silk and it pulled like a locomotive. Sure it was heavy but they still can perform especially the 1800 with it's stiff aluminum frame.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 10:41 am

http://www.motorcyclemonthly.co.uk/news/winging-it

A comparsion of Goldwings new vrs old, its nice read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
michaelsphoto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
michaelsphoto

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 pm

I purchase a brand new left over 2007 yamaha fjr in April of this year that had 52 miles on it. Now it has 18200 miles and i love it. We purchase the wife a 2011 silver wing and had it 2 weeks before the wife total it. I got to take the silver wing on a 250 mile ride it was alot like the Honda st1100 ive own. Very solid,,,, great handling,,very smooth and alot of fun ,,,,wish we still had it...lol....ive got a service manual and Honda cover i need to sell,,,,Loved the Silver Wing and i would purchase Again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.photosbymichaels.com
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm

michaelsphoto wrote:
Honda cover i need to sell,,,,Loved the Silver Wing and i would purchase Again.
pm sent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New scooter/Bike time?   New scooter/Bike time? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New scooter/Bike time?
Page 1 of 1