Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

6 months to new bike time

Go down 
+2
Old Limey
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

6 months to new bike time Empty
PostSubject: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 6:52 am

I get a new bike/scooter each year----big scooter market pretty dead in US, lots of left over SilverWings in my area....I suspect it will not be marketed much longer when Honda has some pretty good bikes @ $2-3000 less!

I may buy a 650 Suzuki----reason no belt changes/electric windshield/easier rear wheel removal but way over priced.

Another SilverWing is my second choice---Southern Honda offered $7800 for fresh one----SilverWing is old design and requires $$ to make it rideable, namely the GIVI adjustable windshield/Baker air wing on side and GIVI rack At least another $600 and then cost of spare belt to carry along. And if comes with Hoop tires, the cost of getting rid of them----Why?? Rear wears square, front Cups on SilverWing---funny I just got a comfortable 30,000 miles out of Hoop on Burgman 400 front, but had at least 2 Hoop rear failures on my Reflex.

Riding a lot/doing my own work, I buy only new---annual mileage is at east 30,000 miles. Smartest is to keep only one bike on road---have 2 now and hoping to be down to one before end of year.

I did try new Forza the other day===price right, valve adjustment @ 16,000 miles but shims,no expensive oil requirements, no mention of belt changes in owner's manual that I could find--I guess ride until it breaks. Minus: it needs a windshield, GIVI rack,has spec tires-----and for me draw back: it rides like rigid frame bike or lumber wagon. Power and performance is there.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 1:02 pm

Ever thought of the Tmax from Yamaha or the new one from BMW or one of the things coming from Korea now SYM, or Kymco John?Smile 
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 4:54 pm

TMAX was flop in US, not brought here anymore---I had one, but as miles pile up they are expensive to keep on road....but nice handling/fast. As BMW owner since 1958, I did test one, overpriced, Taiwan heart (Kymco) rode ok but high seat height....and BMW has marketed some real junk over the years, my experience.
Kymco I know has cheaper parts, but nothing interrsting for me at this time. Korea: I had new Daelim 125 scooter most recent time living there= wonderful and tuff. Their 250 has Kymco powertrain---Dealim no longer imported to US.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 6:46 pm

After two years, I thought about a new bike myself.
The new models look tempting, especially the Honda F6B , the stripped down Goldwing.
But I just renewed my Silverwing's tags for another two years so a new bike for me will have to wait awhile.
John, I thought you might look at the Kymco My Road 700 , it's their new flagship being offered over here for the first time.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 8:16 am

Went to a local Honda Dealer and was all set to trade my Silverwing in until
they offered me a trade in value of only $1800
My 2007 only has 11k miles , tires were new at 8500 and belt just replaced at 10k

They also tried to claim it had an oil leak which I know to be not true since it doesn't
use oil between changes .
Not having just fallen off the turnip truck , I got irate and walked out
If I get get another bike, I'm just going to keep the Silverwing . I also have no intention of ever going back to that dealer again. Just so no one gets the wrong impression, that dealer is not the one located in Newcastle, DE
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 6:38 pm

They offered trade in value.Maybe low idn what Kelly says.
I was in a dealer and said something about a bike on floor.He thought I brought my swing in to trade ,he didnt want anything to do with a swing setting on his floor.
Bla Bla I guess I miss you guys lol
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 7:23 pm

I took my '05 maroon SW in for a trade on a VTX and he asked what I wanted. I said 3.5k. He said sorry, I can't deal with you. A lady walked in and said she wanted a scooter like the one out in the parking lot and pointed at mine through the window. He knew her husband as a regular customer I found out later, but he just looked at me and said ok, it's a deal. Dealers are fun IF you are not desperate or have that hungry look in your eyes.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 9:39 pm

I guess they thought I'd be dumb enough to take the deal after I had sat on the floor model
and ridden the 26 miles to their dealership .
Perhaps they wanted no part of having a Silverwing in their used bike inventory.
Maybe business has been so good for them , they didn't need my money.
Regardless, it raised my blood pressure and I'll never set foot in their
dealership again.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 6 months to new bike time   6 months to new bike time I_icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

I got $2,000 for my 07 with 34,000 miles. They thought that that is somewhat excessive for a scooter and they have a tougher time selling used scooters. I thought I should have gotten more but I was kind of excited to get the new bike. I would say $1800 is really low considering the low miles you have.
Back to top Go down

6 months to new bike time
Page 1 of 1