Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

fairing not exactly perfectly centered?

Go down 
+3
RArch
rodenbach
stonerolled
7 posters
AuthorMessage
stonerolled
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-21

fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  Empty
PostSubject: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 pm

I was wondering if it is common to not have the fairing exactly centered and true. When I turn the handle bars all the way each side, there is about an inch difference from one side to the other in how close the mirrors get to the screen. Mine is favoring to the left a bit sitting on the bike, this causes my givi air flow to sit a bit left also. In no way will I let this take away from the wonderful ride of the machine.
thanks.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:47 pm

My 2003 Euro SW has the same thing:
at full right lock, the LH mirror used to touch the screen lightly.
Full left lock still had a gap of an inch or so.
(past tense, since I mounted mirror extenders)

fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  Mrumnt08
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Maybe its got more lock one way than the other rather than the screen being off centre...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Loosen the two grip mount bolts and reposition (rotate) the hand grip assembly so that the mirror stems are equal distance from the windscreen.

Tim

[color=red][Ops, I meant to say loosen & rotate the brake cylinder/lever clamp to align the mirror stem/color]

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 2:11 am

Disconnect the steering clamps and aline the handle bar. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
stonerolled
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:24 am

thanks for the input, could be one, or the other, or a combination of both. the steering clamp better be torqued right when done....
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 am

At the risk of stating the obvious - The mirror stems themselves are adjustable, so it is possible that they are not "Symetrically Aligned". Far more likely that this adjustable item (mirror stem) is out of alignment as the mirrors are prone to bumps and due to design and force, they have the leverage necessary to be moved at the attachment point.

It would require far more force to have moved the steering head out of alignment than the relatively delicate mirror stems which have a single attachment point. Especially since a bump would introduce movement along the very axis that mirror stem adjustments are made.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 am

I've just been out to the garage with my mesuring tape.
Tried to compare all different kinds of dimensions.
What I came up with, is that the handlebars are spot on, dead in the centre and that all of the tupperware seems symetrical.
However on full right lock the gap between end of the LH handlebar and the screen is 10mm smaller compared to full left lock / RH handlebars.
I have the impression that the angle differs slightly between full LH and full RH lock. Not much, only just a fraction. A fraction that translates into a 10mm difference.

fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  Einheitskreis_Ani
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Unlike a lot of motor cycles there's no locating pin on the Silverwing's brake clamps that attach the brake masters to the handlebars. If the brake levers aren't at the same angle there will be one mirror closer to the windshield than the other. The cure is to loosen the clamp and rotate the brake assembly one way or the other to make them come out the same. If you have your bike leveled and the handlebar straight you could lay a level across the grip and brake lever with a spacer of cardboard or what ever to see if the brake levers are both at the same angle on the handlebar though eyeballing is usually close enough. An angle finder would work okay if you're really critical about accuracy. There's an app for that for the iPhone.
Back to top Go down
stonerolled
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 4:13 pm

thanks for the replies but it turns out the bike suffered some sort of mishap pre-delivery. I noticed a gash in the left fork a week or so after riding and thought somehow it happened on a ride. Long story longer, I finally took in in for the alignment issue and they immediately agreed to order a new fork with no questions. This to me indicates admission of guilt, still no explanation. I just want the fork replaced and trued up now. I guess they let it go thinking maybe it wouldnt get noticed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fairing not exactly perfectly centered?    fairing not exactly perfectly centered?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fairing not exactly perfectly centered?
Page 1 of 1