Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? Empty
PostSubject: Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?   Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 am

In the owners / instruction manual HONDA states that the Silverwing needs engine oil that meets up to JASO MA standards.

Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? 14j423a

One element of the JASO-MA standard is a friction test designed to determine suitability for wet clutch usage. Since the Silverwing does NOT have a wet clutch, what is the point of using this 'MA' grade oil?

And what I really son't understand is why HONDA excludes 'energy conserving oils'.

I thought these oils offered less friction, thus better engine protection and lowered fuel consumption...

Anyone's got a clue???
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?   Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 am

Ok, I believe you may be reading from the FSC and not the FSJ manual for Euro bikes!!!

In my FSJ manual it states; and I quote!

SAE 10W - 30

JASO T 903 Standard

It goes on to say Suggested Oil - 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil or Equivalent!

Don't know if there is much in it but it is a difference.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?   Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:07 am

Thanks Doug,

I use a pdf manual that I got off the internet, since my SWing came without paper manual...

Odd that the US oil specs are different from the Euro Swing?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?   Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:25 am

I think they specify what they have to sell at big markups in various markets. For example: Japan 10-30 for my Helix bought there, US 10-40.

Suzuki Burgman----US MA spec, for engine not sharing oil supply with trans.

Right now I use Shell Rotella 15-40 with MA spec.....but have 500,000 mile history since 1990 using WalMart house brand oil with no negative results in my bikes/scooters and 2 Miatas.

Strange---but Castrol (US made) available in Asia and Europe in militaryPX---will have label "for use in N America only."

What do shops (if you let them work on your bike) put in your engine? Usually what they have purchased in bulk cheap.

My take=clean, slippery, changed often just about anything works---as long as for 4 stroke engines. Not many people riding SilverWings actually ride them enough to wear them out.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?   Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am

Will probably have to do with preventing lawsuit claims???

Honda even promise to send a hitman if you don't follow their instructions... Shocked

Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? 2uj6sza

(I 'd rather expect that from an Italian manufacturer...)
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?   Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 2:32 pm

That's a very interesting point made about not needing the wet clutch oil spec. It never occured to me as i always buy oil specified for motorcycles. Most car oils 10/40s semi-synthetic are about half the price of the oil i've been buying. Cheers for that chaps. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?   Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why does HONDA recommend 'Jaso MA' oil for the SW?
Page 1 of 1