Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Recommend batteries

Go down 
+2
steve_h80
Jimmyk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2018-01-23

Recommend batteries  Empty
PostSubject: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm

I'm going to have to buy a new battery.
It's been years since I've had a motorcycle, but I don't ride every day, sometimes once a week or even once a month.
In the past I've always had a trickle charger...id charge it every 3 or 4 days for an hour or so.
This has gotten me 5 years or so out of a battery. Now with the new technologies, what is the standard type battery.
I know there are lithium, gel, and other types of batteries.....
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Lithiums are expensive but much less weight.
The silverwing is a big beastie at the best of times so the weight loss will be minimal and make bugger all difference.
I'd go with a quality standard battery, but its your money.
Good call on the trickle charger, stay with it.
Back to top Go down
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2018-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks Steve, I’ll take your advice.
It’s always worked for me in the past!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 5:26 am

For what it's worth. I have an 08 SWing and put a Battery Tender Lithium Ion battery in mine almost 4 years ago and haven't had any problems with it. Here in MN during the winter I put it on the charger once a month to maintain the charge. During the summer I don't charge it because I'm riding it all the time. The weight difference to me wasn't a factor. The original gel cell weighed 8.5 lbs and the Lithium weighs 1.75 lbs.

http://products.batterytender.com/Batteries/240-CCA-Lithium-Engine-Start-Battery.html

This is the one I have and it looks like the price went up a bit since I bought mine. I paid just over $100 for mine, if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 7:23 am

What is wrong with OEM battery? For the 50,000 miles each of my new SilverWings went---OEM battery works fine/fits. Had one battery problem----ran it flat with tire compressor, My Fault, in Maine---compressor now in trash---got jump starts, rode back to TN. Bought another OEM battery, not cheap.

Have never owned battery charger or trickle charger---ride everyday and try to leave after market junk off bike----been doing this since 1955.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 pm

I bought a battery Tender Lith Ion battery for my previous bike, and it was giving me 4+ years and going strong before I traded in the bike. It has been claimed that a Li Ion battery will last 7 years, and for a bike, that's very good. I think I would have gotten at least that longevity, had I not traded in the bike.

Dale, that's how I tended my Li ion. If you get a Li Ion, follow Dale's post above. Also, in my research I found advice that says you should use a Battery Tender charger for a Battery Tender Li Ion battery, or even for a non-BT Li Ion battery. It seems the Li Ion has different characteristics that don't lend themselves to continuous trickle charging. Maybe some experts will have posts to explain this.

Steve's post above is also good to consider.

But, JimmyK, it seems that you are very good at maintaining your normal battery, and economy-wise, you might do better financially with a normal battery with your current trickle charger. Five years on a MC battery is much more than what is expected, with or without your limited riding times. Some folks who don't ride much tend to neglect the battery in their machines. Even a good new battery becomes insulted with neglect. I've seen them last as little as one year without maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2018 1:11 pm

While the subject of batteries is up, keep in mind that a cheap battery can rattle apart internally and short the plates. Not only can this leave you stranded with a dead battery, but out of service with a burned out stator.

Does it pay to buy OEM? You bet Yuasa it does!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend batteries    Recommend batteries  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend batteries
Page 1 of 1