Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Leg Cover - which do you recommend

Go down 
+2
Meldrew
Green7
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Green7
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2021-07-26

Leg Cover - which do you recommend  Empty
PostSubject: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 5:02 pm

Now that winter is fast approaching and as I intend to ride the Wing all year round which leg covers are recommended, what do you guys use..
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 8:15 am

IMHO a leg cover is unnecessary on a maxi scooter like the Silver Wing if you have decent winter riding gear and gloves. You're definitely better off if you already have the Givi Airflow screen and even better off with Lower Leg Wind Deflectors that were a Honda accessory for the Silver Wing.

I bought and fitted a Bagster fur lined leg cover on a Honda Helix many years ago thinking it would be an asset in cold weather.

It wasn't, it was a pain to fit and tie back when not it use, I disliked having the bib part round my neck when riding, and the apron caught the air in side winds. It was useful for keeping the seat dry on wet days as a glorified seat cover, that's all. It went back in the box after a couple of weeks, and I've ridden at least 20 winters since then without one.
Back to top Go down
Green7
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2021-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I might give it a rethink then ..
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 2:56 pm

One thing I noticed last week when I took my Forza for its first service at the supplying dealer 15 miles away was how protective scooter bodies and front windshields are.

The rain was beating down and I hadn’t put waterproof trousers on, landed at the dealers and my armoured jeans were bone dry.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 am

I noticed it too on my Forza the first couple of times riding in jacket and jeans and couldn't be bothered  to stop and put rain gear on, my lower half stayed remarkably dry. Changing to the taller wider Givi screen and adding the Givi handlebar wind deflectors made riding in the rain even better.

I've also been through really heavy rain wearing a summer mesh textile suit and it was only the material n the underside of my arms that got wet. They soon dried and since then I've waterproofed the vulnerable area.

Another thing I've noticed when riding the Forza in the rain, I have the option of the HSTC Traction Control and almost always forget to switch it on. The OE Pirelli Diablo tyres are brilliant in the wet too.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marvincon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Marvincon

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2019-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2021 5:18 am

Meldrew wrote:
I noticed it too on my Forza the first couple of times riding in jacket and jeans and couldn't be bothered  to stop and put rain gear on, my lower half stayed remarkably dry. Changing to the taller wider Givi screen and adding the Givi handlebar wind deflectors made riding in the rain even better.

I've also been through really heavy rain wearing a summer mesh textile suit and it was only the material n the underside of my arms that got wet. They soon dried and since then I've waterproofed the vulnerable area.

Another thing I've noticed when riding the Forza in the rain, I have the option of switching on the HSTC Traction Control and almost always forget to switch it on. The OE Pirelli Diablo tyres are brilliant in the wet too.

The traction control on the 350 is default-on so no need to remember.   Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2021 3:16 am

Marvincon wrote:
The traction control on the 350 is default-on so no need to remember.   Smile

That's handy, although the reason why I rarely switch the traction control on is I find the 300's engine so tractable on both wet and dry roads, helped of course by those Pirelli Scorpion tyres. So when I switch it on and nothing magical seems to be happening I switch it off again

Maybe the few Forza 300 and 350 owners on here should start a 'What have you done to your Forza today' in the Other Motorcycles and Scooters Section.

I've been over in Shropshire for the last week so I'm washing my Forza today. That's of no interest to anyone  except myself..  Smile
Back to top Go down
Crispien
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2022 5:11 pm

I use the Tucano Urbano cover/blanket with a 12v heating pad in it. Fantastic for riding in Chicago winters, I also have heated grips with Oxford Super Muffs. I don't mind the cold but a 45 min ride to work is better when not shivering from 20° F weather.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 4:06 am

I've already mentioned trying a leg cover/apron when I had a Helix. It's a common sight to see scooters are fitted with aprons over in Europe. Especially in French and Italian towns and cities. Aprons are popular with office types who commute in on Piaggio MP3's and have to dress smartly for work.

The apron keeps the seat keeps dry or frost free when parked up, so all commuter guy has to do is wear a helmet, a bike jacket, and gloves. In cold and wet weather, pulling up the apron protects their nicely pressed pants and polished shoes.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2022 3:48 pm

Since I get good wind protection from fairing bikes and scooters, I don't usually wear leg covers. In colder weather, long johns usually suffice, but if you have a longer, colder commute/trip, leg gaiters might help. Gaiters can be used for on your bike, for snake protection, and for weed wacking. I found these on Amazon to be especially good (though a little expensive):

https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Shins-Plastic-Leggings-version/dp/B0142WP68W/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PHBN2J7X60AY&keywords=tuff+shins+mens+leg+protector&qid=1643833556&sprefix=tuff+shins+mens+leg+protector%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1

I use them mostly for weed wacking, since I usually wack weeds in shorts. They give max protection. And for hiking, you feel better protected from those slithery poisonous things. Maybe good for mail men, too. These will also offer big leg protection in a bike spill. What i really like about these is no straps, no velcro, no buckles; they snap on and off in seconds. They are made of tough, hard plastic type material. One size fits all. Other much cheaper gaiters could work well, too. I don't usually like to pay a lot for one-off usage of an item. Since I can use these for many applications, I was willing to pay the higher price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leg Cover - which do you recommend    Leg Cover - which do you recommend  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leg Cover - which do you recommend
Page 1 of 1