Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bent Center Stand

Go down 
+8
tarmacburner2
KurtPerthWA
WingMan02
bikerboy
Waspie
tinman
Meldrew
steveonfarm
12 posters
AuthorMessage
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-08-14

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi there all!

It's been a while now since I've visited the good old Silverwing community.

I had a bump yesterday, or should I say I guy in a big old 4X4 bumped into me while I was at a stand still waiting for the traffic lights to change!

Anyway, I got off fairly lightly with a bruised shin and a few scratches to the bike's body work. But the biggest problem was that the center stand (the part that you put your foot on) got so badly bent that it is now impossible to stand on it to raise the bike!

My question is : Would this be repairable by a mechanic with welding gear? Or, failing this does anybody know the cost of a new center stand?

Thanking you in anticipation .........

SteVe
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Hello mate, yes it's been a while since you last posted, sorry to hear about your bump. Have you tried slipping a long piece of metal pipe over the bent bit and levering it back into the original position.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Now that's what I call common sense!

I will certainly try that!

Thanks Meldrew Smile
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

I used a large pipe wrench as a lever to fix mine. Now it works fine. chickendance
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I used a large pipe wrench as a lever to fix mine. Now it works fine. chickendance
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Bit of heat from a welding torch and a long pipe would be my cure!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Somewhere buried in the junk in my garage is a rusty fork stanchion from a previous bike (a Norton Commando many years ago) I keep it specifically for jobs like this when a lot of leverage is needed, a length of scaffolding pole also does the job and they can both be slipped over a spanner or socket wrench when you have a real need to wreck something !!
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Somewhere buried in the junk in my garage is a rusty fork stanchion from a previous bike (a Norton Commando many years ago) I keep it specifically for jobs like this when a lot of leverage is needed, a length of scaffolding pole also does the job and they can both be slipped over a spanner or socket wrench when you have a real need to wreck something !!
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 pm

WOW! Seems like I read this before on this site. Why not have the person that hit you pay to have it replaced with a new stand?
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 7:20 pm

He did hand over €200 in cash and apologised to be fair on the guy, but if I can make a simple and reliable repair to the stand, then the cash will simply be compensation for the shock/inconvenience and my bruised leg. It might also act as an incentive to him to be more aware on the roads!

SteVe
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Oh, and thank you Waspie and Bikerboy for your helpful suggestions Smile

Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 3:52 am

Reading the above:

I realise that of course Waspie was a helio mechanic...

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:32 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Reading the above:

I realise that of course Waspie was a helio mechanic...

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Hel-i-o mechanic!!!!!

I used to break em too you know!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Bent mine due to dropping the scooter. Used a piece of pipe to lever it back into shape, probably no need for heat Steve unless it is really cold in your garage. 200 euros for your trouble, buy the scoot a good Christmas present and treat yourself as well.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Heating the metal will allow him to bend it back into shape without risking stressing the metal to the point it snaps.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 pm

I will certainly do that! bounce

Thank you Tarmacburner2

SteVe
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Thank you Jim ................ will try to apply some heat to be safe,

SteVe
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Dont forget to remove the tupperware within range of the heat source. I would remove stand and use a vise as you will need to get it red hot.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 6:48 am

DarthJ wrote:
Heating the metal will allow him to bend it back into shape without risking stressing the metal to the point it snaps.

True - folk forget the stresses metal takes in accidents. All those molecules being confused - What a Face
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 7:52 am

It's all getting rather complicated for Steve now, it's gone from the fairly simple bending it back with a length of pipe, to the aggravation of removing tupperware, or removing the stand and clamping it in a vice (vise) and heating it to red hot before bending it. Then he's going to have to prime and paint the now bare metal afterwards.

I'm sure Steve doesn't have a bench vice in the garage, a gas blow torch or wants to be messing about with one with his scooter nearby full of petrol. As a guitar teacher, accidental burns to his hands are something he'll want to avoid too.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 10:56 am

Its thin wall pipe Meldrew, if he tries to straighten it cold he may kink it therefore weakening it. If it must be straightened it should be straightened properly.
All he has to do is remove it and take it to a local engineers shop and have them straighten it fo a lunch pak (6 cans)

If it were solid bar as in the old days he may have gotten away with a cold bend or even a few hits with a 4 pounder.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank you Medrew for understanding my predicament Smile
Everything that you presumed about my life style is correct!
In fact I haven't even been able to find a pipe to attempt the simplest solution to my bent stand. So, as I am taking my bike to a local mechanic later this week for an oil change, I will ask him to tackle the job in whatever way he sees fit as long as the price is right!

Actually, I have a far more pressing issue with the bike at the moment that may well have been caused by the same bump that bent my stand, but I guess I ought to put that on a new posting ........... which I will do now Smile

SteVe

Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 6:15 am

Quick Update: The mechanic who changed my oil this week did indeed have a huge steel pipe with which to bend my center stand lever back into place. Although it is now possible to get the bike onto it's stand, it is a much tougher maneuver, as is getting it off the stand. This is, I believe due to the fact that the the stand was not only bent along the riding line of the bike, but across it as well, if that makes sense. This means that the two feet of the stand are slightly wonky in respect to each other causing the bike to lean a little to the right. Once on the stand, the bike seems pretty stable, but I don't think I'll be using it as often as I used to (every time I stopped!), until I figure out how to achieve a more convincing repair!

I will keep all you good people posted Smile

SteVe
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 am

Steve, keep your eyes on eBay, they occasionally have used stands for sale on there!
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:20 pm

I just called up this old thread that I started to see how long ago I had that issue with my center stand. Quite shocked to see that it was almost 2 years ago! The reason for my interest is due to the fact that over the past few weeks I have noticed that my center stand had been getting a little wonky again to the point where my SW was noticeably leaning to one side on the stand, and had also become a lot stiffer. Anyway, last weekend I went to apply the stand and the whole bike rolled over onto it's side! I figured that anymore bending or hammering of my stand in an attempt to achieve a lasting repair might be unwise, so I checked the price of a new stand from Honda (€120), and started to look elsewhere. I have just ordered a secondhand stand from Germany off ebay for €45 and hope that I can change it myself. I also hope I haven't been foolish in assuming that the ordered stand for a SW 600 will be identical to the one on my SW 400!

I still love my Silverwing and can't imagine riding anything else!

SteVe Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Assuming that your center stand springs are still stretched when you lower the stand then you should insert small coins into as many of the spring gaps as you can. That will insure that the spring doesn't fully contract and make removing the springs as well as reinstalling them easy. Well, kind of easy.

Otherwise it's going to be a bear of a job to stretch those springs the full length to remount them.

Tim
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 4:11 am

Gosh! I hadn't even considered the difficulties of reattaching those springs!

what an excellent and ingenious solution with regards to inserting coins to keep the springs stretched Tim.

Thank you very much for that tip Smile

SteVe

Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Raced and bent m/cycles for years. If it got bent cold; straighten it cold. Heat will take the temper out; might be ok where there is no strain.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 9:01 pm

I wouldn't bother fixing it if you got 200 EUR for the bother. The new stand is about $50 USD, don't know what that ends up being to buy in Europe, but certainly less than 200 EUR.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bent Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Center Stand   Bent Center Stand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bent Center Stand
Page 1 of 1