Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 8:48 pm

Mike from NS wrote:

I tried to mimic the rattle on the center stand this evening.  Not with much success.  I expect rattle is something I've noticed after the bike is well warmed up, engine and drive train.  Probably after 20 - 25 kms or so. What did happen was, while on the side stand I ran it up with pressure on the rear brake.  When doing this the rattle re-appeared.  And in the same area of 3500 rpm and vanished near 3800. It seemed to be running a bit rougher than is normal as well. But still just in the driveway and not warmed up.  Also while on the center stans with no brale applied, there was no rattle.  So what is one to do but go for a short ride .... needing gas aided the decision.   So in about 15 kms It only rattled a couple of times, (when under the greatest loads of going up a decent grade)  and not as severe a rattle as when well warmed up.  Like in the 200 kms yesterday. The de-glazing effect of running to 4000 with the brake on helped smooth out the feel too.

I haven't used the dowel to listen yet but will do this too.  I'm thinking I will have to take the covers off and get a physical look at the rollers to be certain if this is the source of the loose rattle.

I would like to have the Dr Pulley sliders in hand when I take it apart however.

Does any of this give rise to other thoughts?

Mike

Mike,

Did you buy the bike with the ability to run the bike on the side stand? That is not a normal mode of operation.

If you are well aware of the reasons for a side stand safety switch, then I will say no more.

Just concerned about compromised motorcycles being sold to non suspecting "new to me" owners.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 am

Sorry for any confusion ... not run on the side stand ... rather run on the center stand (as my first sentence stated).  Looks like I didn't pay attention to what I typed closely enough by the time I got to the 5th. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the point about the sliders pieces Tim.  I was wondering about that. When I get the covers off I'll report back with my findings. And if I can figure out how to add a picture, I'll do that as well.

Thanks for your comments.

Mike
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Not to worry about running on side stand unless you've bypassed the safety switch.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 9:17 pm

exavid wrote:
Not to worry about running on side stand unless you've bypassed the safety switch.

One cannot run on the side stand without bypassing the safety switch.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 5:00 am

Modernman1953 wrote:
exavid wrote:

I believe it was a rhetorical joke.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 10:29 am

Easyrider wrote:
Modernman1953 wrote:
exavid wrote:

I believe it was a rhetorical joke.

It is not a joke when people get killed when a side stand safety switch is bypassed on a scooter and a novice buys it.  

It needs to be said.  If your Silverwing can run on the side stand, then a very important safety feature has been compromised by a previous owner.  

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 1:52 pm

In the days before side-stand safety switches I made THAT mistake ONCE, no harm no foul but the experience of that gradual slow left still sticks in my mind, in fact the seat cover probably stuck too Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand   Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misuse of word creates outrage: Side stand vs Center stand
Page 1 of 1