Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease Empty
PostSubject: Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease   Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 am

I am changing my DRIVE BELT for the first time on a 2008 SWing at 19,000 miles. I took off the DRIVEN PULLEY ASSEMBLY to have a 'look see' at the clutch pads and what I can see inside the shaft area without disassembly of any of the parts within the DRIVEN PULLEY ASSEMBLY. The pads look good - but I can see the balls showing in the roller bearings - looks like they need a bit more grease, and the roller bearings seem like they could use some more grease also. All of the bearings seem just fine and I am not experiencing any problems with the final drive operation. So, I am going to pack in a bit more grease onto the bearings before I put things back together again. Section 10 (coupled with Section 1) calls for the DRIVEN FACE INNER SURFACE to be packed with grease (Lithium Based Grease such as Shell Alvania R3); however, when referring to the needle bearing, roller bearing, o-rings, and seals in the DRIVEN PULLEY ASSEMBLY, the manual just uses the term grease. So, I am not sure if all the grease in the DRIVEN PULLEY ASSEMBLY should be Lithium Based Grease (especially as it pertains to the needle and roller bearings - which are not sealed bearings) OR should some of the grease be another type of grease? Does anyone have a grease conversion chart so that I can determine what are 'equivalents' to the Shell (as I have yet to find a store that carries Shell)? The grease inside the DRIVEN PULLEY ASSEMBLY is incredibly stiff - which I imagine is typical for lithium based grease.

Some other questions. Has anyone every taken the DRIVEN PULLEY ASSEMBLY apart for the express purpose of cleaning and greasing? Did you replace the o-rings and seals? Did you notice any need to do this or any improvement upon reassembly/use?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease   Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 pm

My opinion...
- There is no problem...do nothing.
- Don't use "some grease".
Pretty warm in there.
Grease according specs.

See workshop manual or ask dealer.

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease   Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 pm

If you have some mechanical ability removing the clutch assembly is easy. No special tools needed.The only bearing that needs to be inspected is the needle bearing in the driven clutch.The bearing requires very little lube.I pack it with high temperature wheel bearing grease.Not the thick stuff. Use it sparingly. A little goes a long way.This bearing is only effective at idle and rotates with the shaft when the clutch locks up. I would advise not to take the clutch assembly apart. If it is not broke leave it alone.Clean the clutch shoes with some medium sand paper and blow out the whole assembly in a well ventilated area.Also sand the the inner surface of the clutch drum.
You should probably change the final drive lube at this time if it has not been previously been done. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease   Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm

One more word of caution.It is my belief that the belt will set or stretch in the direction of rotation(see arrow's on the belt) and if installed in the opposite direction will stretch the belt in the opposite direction and shorten its life. Howard

Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease   Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 am

NWSSC wrote:
>.It is my belief that the belt will set or stretch in the direction of rotation(see arrow's on the belt) and if installed in the opposite direction will stretch the belt in the opposite direction and shorten its life. Howard

With 70,000+ miles on my '03 SW I've changed the belt a few times. And while I agree that the arrows marked on the belt need to be facing the direction of rotation, I can't quite understand your idea that the belt would stretch in an opposite direction.

The belt is going to stretch longitudinally. I don't understand how, if it stretches, say, front to back it would be any different than it stretching back to front. Ultimately a stretched belt is going to perform less efficiently than a tight belt.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease   Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repacking Driven Pulley Assembly Grease
Page 1 of 1