Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from Missouri

Go down 
+9
DickO
rodenbach
tankyuong
Phred501
GHM-PM
"Hi Yo"
BillScooterDude
Waspie
metrolink50
13 posters
AuthorMessage
metrolink50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-09-29

Hello from Missouri Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 10:15 am

Good Morning!
I have been watching or lurking this forum for several months now and and relatively new to scootering. At the present I have a 50cc Honda Metro which I have purchased new a couple of years ago and have logged a couple thousand miles on. It doesn't sound like much but since it won't go on the highway it is quite a few miles logging in town.
I have been wondering about up grading to a silverwing...big jump I know. I am wondering if it is too much of a jump and if so what I should be looking at to buy. I am short statue and about 150lbs. I guess what I am asking all you gurus is a silverwing too big for me? I intend to do some highway miles when I do get a larger bike.
Opinions are welcomed.
Thanks,
David
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Welcome David.

Only you will know if the 'Wing' is the right size for you! You will have to find one and try it for size. Don't just sit on it in a show room. Get it off the stand as if you were riding it. Remember, you only need put one leg on the ground when sat on the seat. Both is comfortable but one foot will suffice.

Good luck in your pursuit of a Silver Wing, they are a solid machine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
metrolink50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 12:52 pm

I have sat on a Rebel 250 and like the seat height but I don't want the shifting. I will visit a Honda dealer and sit on one and see how it feels. I don't want it to tip on me but if one leg will suffice I will look in ernest and see what I can come up with. I have looked on ebay and have spied a couple of them but for now I'm just seeing what they go for. Most have 5 to 12k on them and range in price from 5 to 6k for the year and mileage. I don't know how they compair to my Met. as far as maintenance goes. The Met is simple, quick and dirty! I suppose it wouldn't be much difference in the two other than just larger.
Thanks for the reply Waspie
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 12:57 pm

David, a few of us certainly exceed the 150Lbs, but like me have short legs. I am 28 1/2" inside leg and manage to get both feet down so that may help towards and idea if how low the 'Wing' seat is!
Back to top Go down
metrolink50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Great, I'll find one and try the one or two leg stop. It's getting late in the year here and I would hate to let it sit and not ride it very much over the winter....I don't think they make snow tires or chains for these....yet! I'm not really in a hurry to buy but I will look and when the right one comes along I will snag it.
I do get some winter riding out of the Met but that is just a short ride to work and back, a couple of miles. But 35 degrees is my limit as wind chill takes the wind out of my sail.
Guess I'll start looking now.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 1:20 pm

David,

I just bought a Silver Wing and I'm 5'8'' with a 28 1/2 in seam both of my feet touch the ground. Although I'm still learning how to control the Wing and get the leverage I need. I'm sure it will come in time. I'm use to a Honda 250 cc Helix which has a lower seat.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Bill
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from Missouri 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Welcome David. The size you can probably handle, but when you twist that throttle be preparred to go!!!! Whee!! I can hear you saying, " Well 40 degrees isn't all that cold and the suns out and it's time to ride." motorcycle
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 am

Good luck with your scooter! Only you can make a good decision here by sitting on one and perhaps a test drive? The Wing is heavy but the weight is carried low so not real noticeable UNLESS you have to push the scooter around much.

I have known people of your stature that pilot Gold Wings so it is certainly possible for you to master a Wing. If after sitting on one you decide it is too much, look for a mid-size scoot say 350-400 range? Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Phred501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Phred501

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Personally, I think the S-Wing is suited to shorter riders. I'm 5'11" and like to stretch out my legs. The S-Wing has me jammed pretty tight. Any taller, you need to make changes to the seat to get you butt back further. As for the jump from a 50 to a 600 there is much to be said. I've owned a Honda 750FOUR, 2- 1100SABRES, a Harley bagger, a Ruckus, a 150 BAJA, an 1800
GoldWing, and the S-Wing. The S-Wing is the most responsive machine I have ever owned. It is quick off the line and goes faster than it needs to. The two biggest differences between the metro and the S-wing are size (height,weight,& wheel base) & power. The Metro sits like a school chair (knees @90 degrees) and really is not practical on roads over 30mph. (lacking acceleration & top speed). You may get it to 50 but it takes too long to be safe. The S-Wing will get to 50 in a few seconds and you can vary your leg position. Low speed maneuvers are different on the big scoot and you need a longer parking spot. I used to pick up the rear of my Ruckus and slide it against the wall. Thats not happening w/the S-Wing. One thing I promise, if you choose the S-wing you won't need more scooter down the road.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 5:09 pm

David an example of what the Wing can do low speed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegpNBY7DIc

Probably my favourite vid of the Wing in flow!
Back to top Go down
metrolink50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Waspie wrote:
David an example of what the Wing can do low speed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegpNBY7DIc

Probably my favourite vid of the Wing in flow!
I checked this out, very impressive. I can do that easily with my Met but would definately take practice on a wing.
I am going to find one to sit on and take for a spin and then see what I think.
Thanks for the input on this.
David
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm in the center of Mo where are you at?
Back to top Go down
metrolink50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 pm

I'm in north central Mo.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Are you close to Macon ?
Back to top Go down
metrolink50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 pm

tankyuong wrote:
Are you close to Macon ?
Yes I am in Brookfield and sorry abou the long delay in the reply. I was through Macon today but couldn't have stopped anyway. We might meet up some weekend if the weather is cooperating.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 am

Hello David, welcome to the forum.
I.m.h.o. the seat height is not the most important worry.
But like 'Hi Yo' already stated: the 50HP under the throttle may be a handfull if you're only used to moped 'pony-power'.
I had test rides on Burgmen and Majesties, and these single cilinders are a lot less agile than the Silverwing.
I'm not trying to discourage you, but be aware that the Silverwing is one of the heaviest and fastest 'scooters' on the market. Like 0-30 Mph in 2 seconds... and another potential 80Mph in the wrist!

You will need some time to get used to it. Better be too carefull in the beginning, than over-enthusiastic!
I've had my SW now for some 600 Miles and just start getting used to it...

I wish you all the best!
⭐ Greetings from over the pond ⭐
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 am

metrolink50 wrote:
tankyuong wrote:
Are you close to Macon ?
Yes I am in Brookfield and sorry abou the long delay in the reply. I was through Macon today but couldn't have stopped anyway. We might meet up some weekend if the weather is cooperating.
no worries I'm in Columbia anyhow,sure lets meetup someday
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Yeah, "Metrolink50", if Waspie can do it.... so can you... Twisted Evil Laughing
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 pm

DickO wrote:
Yeah, "Metrolink50", if Waspie can do it.... so can you... Twisted Evil Laughing

What's that about? Someone talking about me!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 pm

rodenbach wrote:
Hello David, welcome to the forum.
I.m.h.o. the seat height is not the most important worry.
But like 'Hi Yo' already stated: the 50HP under the throttle may be a handfull if you're only used to moped 'pony-power'.
I had test rides on Burgmen and Majesties, and these single cilinders are a lot less agile than the Silverwing.
I'm not trying to discourage you, but be aware that the Silverwing is one of the heaviest and fastest 'scooters' on the market. Like 0-30 Mph in 2 seconds... and another potential 80Mph in the wrist!

You will need some time to get used to it. Better be too carefull in the beginning, than over-enthusiastic!
I've had my SW now for some 600 Miles and just start getting used to it...

I wish you all the best!
⭐ Greetings from over the pond ⭐

I've had my 2003 Silverwing up over 100 MPH (US) and I weigh a lot more than you. As others have said, we're not trying to scare you at all but want to make sure how much raw power you're getting with one. Regardless of what you choose, we'll be here ready to answer questions (dumb looks are still free) and ogle over your bike pics. :-)

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 am

It's a very large jump fro 50cc to 600 cc .
You 'll have vastly more power and speed
The Silverwing will do a 110mph and it weighs 540lbs
Your Metro will seem like a toy in comparison.
Not to scare you off, but just to let you know there's a vast difference
in capabilities,size, and weight.
Back to top Go down
metrolink50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I really think I need to take a hard look at what I am wanting to do here. Going from a 38 mph bike to one that will leave my shorts at the last stop sign I think I better regroup and think smaller!
In the next few weeks I am going to go to my dealer in KC and check out what he has. I was originally thinking about the PCX150 and then got the bug about the Swing. I'm now thinking I'll take baby steps and in the future trade up to the big dog.
I still am keeping the Swing in the back of my mind as that is the goal but for now I better get what I am comfortable with and feel safe on for now.
I will post a pic of the new one, whatever it will be ....I'll talk to Santa! and most likely won't be getting anything different until next spring. Riding short distances this winter would be all I would do anyway and when the temp gets below 35 it is parked until a warm sunny winter day.
I will keep coming back here, it's a great forum guys!
David
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:53 pm

David, I went from a 50cc which could barely do 30mph to a 150cc which can do about 50 mph, and then up to my 600cc Swing last year (then crashed!). (It wasn't the power that did it, it was the sand/gravel that acted like ice and took me down) ... The power difference was AWESOME and I do not regret it one little bit! I am picking up my second Swing in a couple weeks and can hardly wait! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to ride it until next spring (hoping for ONE day to ride it home, but then will plan on parking it until about March! Sad ) If you are prepared for the power difference, it isn't a difficult machine to get used to. No need to start off twisting to 100 mph!!! But being able to twist up to keep up with traffic is GREAT!! Go test ride a Swing! I think you will LOVE IT!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Metrolink50,
I would recommend that you go for the Swing. I just start riding again after a 42yr absence from riding a two-wheeler. I chose the Swing because of the storage, rain protection, ease of traveling in stop-n-go traffic, and yes fuel economy. The most difficult thing I have is getting use to the weight of the bike. I have a GIVI top box with brake, turn, and tail lights. I use it often. Even when it is empty, I use it for visibility (lights). Slow turning is my major problem. I have dropped the bike four times in the last 10 months. Always happened at less than 1 MPH when something supprises me and I hit the brakes with my wheel turned... Bad move. Go for it. You will not regret it. Like any new vehicle, you need to learn its' characteristics.
Aloha
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Don't be afraid of the Silver Wing. It is very controllable. I had trepidations when I went to pick up my Wing. The dealer is about 60 miles away, my wife was supposed to follow me in the car but she got called in to work. I rode my KLR in (trade-in) and picked up the Wing. I had very little experience with scooters... I made it home OK and put over 110 miles on it that first day! They tend to grow on you!!!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from Missouri 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 pm

David, being aware is not being afraid. Personally, I think I would be afraid if I only had a 50cc engine to keep me out of trouble. Of course it would be hauling a tad more weight than yours does. Smile I have found the Silver Wing power to be very predictable and as you stated it is great if you want to do touring in the beautiful state of Missouri.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Missouri   Hello from Missouri I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Missouri
Page 1 of 1