Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Yesterday at 10:13 pm

» Mileage on a full tank?
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Mottza Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» Classic! A blast from the past.
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 4:49 pm

» Well, it's different !!
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:10 pm

» Silver Wing Miles (a Poll)
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Bcook01 Yesterday at 8:37 am

» DIY Variator holding tool
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:20 pm

» drive belt replacement
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:01 pm

» Swing windscreen
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby smellybeard Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:34 pm

» Hello from Denmark
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Dutch SilverWing Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:50 pm

» Introducing myself
Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:26 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?

Go down 
+3
NWSSC
tinman
Dimond
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? Empty
PostSubject: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Why does the drive belt specify a direction of rotation? What would happen if it were installed in the direction opposite of what is specified by Honda? If you take a drive belt off (and forget to mark the rotation direction) - is there any way that you can tell be looking at the belt what direction it was turning before you took it off? I have not had any issues such as the above - but I am curious.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 5:55 am

Smile I just removed my drive belt. After I notice there was no arrow rotation. When I removed the belt ,the back of the casing made a mark on the back side of the belt and I installed It to match. Smile
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 am

It is just a guess but I do not think that installing a new belt in either direction makes any difference.It is when you reinstall the belt if it is going in the opposite direction it might have a tendency to stretch the belt in the other direction and reduce its life.Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3498
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 am

I don't know but tyres have to be mounted the right way and they're made partly with layers laminated together, one assumes in a particular pattern.
Perhaps it's the same with the belt.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 pm

When i got my new belt(not the official one) it had no directional markings on it. After 6000mls i fitted the Dr Pulley sliders, and the belt seemed okay to me, as someone remarked i think a new belt would wear in either direction equally. A new OEM belt was £143. the one i got was £74. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 pm

MikeO wrote:
I don't know but tyres have to be mounted the right way and they're made partly with layers laminated together, one assumes in a particular pattern.
Perhaps it's the same with the belt.

Mike, I believe the rotation marks on Tyres are more do do with the tread and the ability to disperse water efficiently!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3498
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm

I expect you're right, Doug, but racing slicks have to be fitted the right way round, especially drag racing wrinkle-wall slicks.

I shall attempt to find out. Smile

Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:34 am

This may explain the unusally short life of my belt - which had failed on me while riding the highway last August. The (previously owned) Swing came with a J-Costa variator but the pins were shot. Rather than just get another set, I had wanted to try the Dr Pulley sliders I had bought last October - before my mechanic told me I didn't have a stock variator. So I ordered the stock variator components needed to use the sliders (which cost less than a set of pins) and, using the great directions on this site, built a variator tool and did the job myself. However, I noticed my mechanic had installed the belt backwards (arrows pointing opposite the direction of travel). Not thinking about it, when I reinstalled the belt, I put it in facing the direction of travel. It shredded on me about a month later.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:36 am

This may explain the unusally short life of my belt - which had failed on me while riding the highway last August. The (previously owned) Swing came with a J-Costa variator but the pins were shot. Rather than just get another set, I had wanted to try the Dr Pulley sliders I had bought last October - before my mechanic told me I didn't have a stock variator. So I ordered the stock variator components needed to use the sliders (which cost less than a set of pins) and, using the great directions on this site, built a variator tool and did the job myself. However, I noticed my mechanic had installed the belt backwards (arrows pointing opposite the direction of travel). Not thinking about it, when I reinstalled the belt, I put it in facing the direction of travel. It shredded on me about a month later.
Back to top Go down

Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?
Page 1 of 1