Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How do I remove glue residue from the screen?

Go down 
+6
DickO
Dimond
Old Sloppy
toolboxjesse
DennisB
Atrick
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

How do I remove glue residue from the screen? Empty
PostSubject: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 am

I've just fitted my new Airflow screen & having removed the cheap looking "Airflow" decal from the adjustable section, I'm left with the sticky glue residue. Water doesn't seem to have any effect & the instructions say not to use any solvents/chemicals etc. Any ideas as to how I can clean it off? scratch
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 am

Hi Gerry,

I would try using just a little WD-40 on clean rag. Do not rub hard. Let the WD-40 do the work.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks Dennis, you're a pal, I'll give it a go!
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Goo gone
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Yet another use for WD-40........
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Atrick wrote:
Thanks Dennis, you're a pal, I'll give it a go!

Hello Atrick, Did the WD40 work for you? Any damage or blemish caused by using it? I have that same decal residue but reluctant to try to remove it for fear of creating a worse blemish!
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 2:04 am

Hi Dimond,

I haven't tried it yet. I'll do so today & let you know.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi "Atrick",
I used a product called "Goof Off 2" in a small liquid spray bottle. I had a sticker of some sort on my screen when I bought it used back a few years ago. Worked okay for me. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for the info, DickO, I'm not sure if it's available this side of the pond but I'll check. I've just got home after a busy day out visiting family & had forgotten all about the scooter so looks like it'll be a job for tomorrow morning after a visit to the car accessory shop...
Back to top Go down
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm

I definitely wouldn't use Goo Gone. It has acetone in it.
WD-40 seems like a good choice.
I used water and elbow grease.
WB
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:03 am

Having a bit of spare time yesterday, I "googled" the problem and noticed the things people have used successfully all seemed to be oil based: e.g. WD-40, olive oil, Vaseline (petroleum jelly), and best of all - peanut butter! I guess the oil neutralises the glue.

Since the only thing handy in my house was a small tin of Vaseline (my wife's!) I decided to try this first. I smeared a light coating over the "gunge" marks, left it for 30mins. and then washed it off with warm soapy water; some light rubbing was needed with a soft sponge but it all came off in a few minutes - job done! bounce

My thanks to everyone for their ideas - and warnings...!!
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 am

Atrick wrote:
the things people have used successfully all seemed to be oil based: e.g. WD-40, olive oil, Vaseline (petroleum jelly), and best of all - peanut butter! I guess the oil neutralises the glue. Since the only thing handy in my house was a small tin of Vaseline (my wife's!) I decided to try this first.

Tomorrow I am going to try the Vaseline technique (mine as my wife won't let me touch hers - luckily we have some 'his' Vaseline in our house) and will report back.

PS - Do you know what happened to the prostitute who did not know the difference between Vaseline and 'putty'? All her ....(answer tomorrow if I get my sticker off!).

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:40 am

Novel!!!

His and hers Vaseline!!!!

Whatever next!!!!! Laughing

Shouldn't this thread be in Kurts Korner? Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 am

Dimond - since peanut butter is pretty much an american institution, haven't you got any lurking in your kitchen cupboard?? Personally I absolutely hate the stuff...!!! vomit

Waspie - I pinched my wife's (after she'd gone to work) 'cos it was on the bathroom shelf - it's now back there so she'll never know! I too have my own jar, it's in the garage but couldn't be bothered to get it and anyway, my wife won't touch mine 'cos it's got oily black stuff in it from when I last greased up the campervan bolts!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 am

I use an American product that uses citrus oil to remove adhesive residue left by stickers and labels. It's safe and effective, and the name is a dead giveaway as it's called 'Sticky Stuff Remover'

Ya'all remember to get some now. Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 7:44 am

SSR works a treat.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Dimond wrote:

Tomorrow I am going to try the Vaseline technique (mine as my wife won't let me touch hers - luckily we have some 'his' Vaseline in our house) and will report back.

PS - Do you know what happened to the prostitute who did not know the difference between Vaseline and 'putty'? All her ....(answer tomorrow if I get my sticker off!).

I tried Vaseline (mine - not hers!!), WD40, and gasoline - and rubbed with a soft cotton cloth. The Vaseline and WD40 did not have much of an effect - maybe if I had rubbed for a very long time - but I get bored easily. Upon application of the gasoline you could see an immediate effect as the sticker material immediately started getting cloudy and soon thereafter started rubbing off - with no visible impact to the windscreen plastic whatsoever. A while back I stuck (they have that foam/adhesive material on the back) one of those convex round mirrors on my auto sideview mirror and I did not like it and wanted to get it off - but when I tried to pull it off it was clear that the mirror would break (it is thin plastic) before the adhesive released. So, I called the manufacturer of the little convex mirror and asked them how I could get it off - they said use gasoline - and it worked! USA Gasoline has about 1% benzene (solvent) that I think is what does the trick- benzene is not a very aggressive solvent (on plastics) - especially at very low concentrations - but it seems to readily attack sticky-back adhesives.

ANSWER TO RIDDLE
Do you know what happened to the prostitute who did not know the difference between Vaseline and 'putty'? ALL HER WINDOWS FELL OUT!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I remove glue residue from the screen?   How do I remove glue residue from the screen? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I remove glue residue from the screen?
Page 1 of 1