Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Q: Remove flywheel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Q: Remove flywheel Empty
PostSubject: Q: Remove flywheel   Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:59 am

Does anyone know how to remove the Flywheel? According to the Service Manual a Special Tool is needed to thread into the flywheel hub once the main flywheel bolt is removed.
I suspect that the special tool puts pressure on the crankshaft while coaxing the flywheel off the tapered shaft at the same time.

Does anyone have another way to do this job other than Honda's Tool? Might there be some other tool out there to do this job, something a bit more universal than Honda's specific-application tool? There appears to be no way for a standard 3 or 4 leg gear puller to fit the flywheel.

BTW the flywheel, located on the right side of the engine, needs to be removed to replace the Starting Gear and also the Ignition Sensor.

Tim
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Q: Remove flywheel   Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

you Might be able to rent one from an auto parts store...

I have one for A/C pulley removal , but probable the wrong thread.

Sorry for no help.
MaxB
Back to top Go down
kingofthepuppies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: EASY / CHEAP FLYWHEEL REMOVAL   Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Hello -- I struggled with this a long time. Not wanting to buy a special tool (couldnt find one anyway) I discovered an easy low cost solution. First take off that nut holding the flywheel on. I had to use a breaker bar and chain lock holder to keep the wheel in place. Actually If I would have thought ahead I wouldn't even need the chain holder. Here is the solution. Go to an auto parts store and pick up a $2.00 oil drain plug bolt. The size you want is M17 x 1.5. You can just pick one off the display rack. Get the longest one you can find at M17 x 1.5. If your local auto part store doesn't have a M17 x 1.5 then go to a Subaru dealer. It is what they use for an oil drain plug but theirs is a tiny bit short and you will need to add a washer or two to make it long enough to jack the flywheel off the shaft. Next, borrow and air powered impact wrench or buy one (not having a compressor, I got an electric one for <$50.00 at Harbor Freight). Forget about the special flywheel holder because you won't even need it. The impact wrench will spin that nut off before you even know it is working. I actually laid awake trying to figure out how to do this without the special Honda tools.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Q: Remove flywheel   Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 pm

kingofthepuppies wrote:
.... Here is the solution. Go to an auto parts store and pick up a $2.00 oil drain plug bolt. The size you want is M17 x 1.5... Get the longest one you can find at M17 x 1.5. If your local auto part store doesn't have a M17 x 1.5 then go to a Subaru dealer. It is what they use for an oil drain plug but theirs is a tiny bit short and you will need to add a washer or two to make it long enough to jack the flywheel off the shaft... [An] impact wrench will spin that nut off before you even know it is working.

Thanks for your post, but I don't quite understand where the M17 x 1.5 drain bolt is supposed to go.

The Honda Special Tool (07933-3950000) is an M20 x 1.5 Left Hand thread 'bolt' (partially hollow) with a "T" handle.

Back to top Go down
kingofthepuppies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Q: Remove flywheel   Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:20 pm

I understand the question. There is an obvious bolt that holds the flywheel on. But after you remove that the challenge is to remove the flywheel. It is on there hard and fast. This is where you would otherwise need some kind of holder keep the flywheel from turning while you use a torque arm to loosen the bolt. That is the special Honda flywheel holder tool. You wont need that since you can use the electric impact wrench to take that off without holding it. But if you don't want to use the impact wrench you can use a strap wrench available at any hardware store or if you have one an extra large oil filter wrench will do, or wrap it with a piece of chain and put a bolt through the links to make it tight around the flywheel and bolt one link to one of the handy nearby bolt holes on the frame. The easiest and quickest way is to use the impact wrench with a socket on the end.
Okay, now after that retaining bolt is off and your wondering how the dickens to get the flywheel off just take that $2.00 M17x1.5 oil drain bolt you got from the parts store and start it into the hole where the other bolt was. It will bottom against the end of the crankshaft because it is too large to go into the threaded end. You will jack the flywheel off in about five clicks of the impact wrench. You won't have to hold the flywheel there either. Hope this is a bit more clear. The bonus is that when it is over you can keep the impact wrench as that tool you always needed when it was time to rotate the truck tires. Cheers, Kingofthepuppies
Back to top Go down
kingofthepuppies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Q: Remove flywheel   Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 pm

About the bolt size --- Yes, try M20 x 1.5 RH thread. I thought it was M17 but now I am not sure. I know it also fit a Subaru oil pan and I see now that is an M20 so perhaps you need and M20 not a M17. No matter, just buy two. They are only about $2.05 each. They will be right hand thread. Use the one that fits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Q: Remove flywheel   Q: Remove flywheel I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Q: Remove flywheel
Page 1 of 1