Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New member, Hello

Go down 
+4
johnd
tinman
scootergal11
Maxi-Daddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Maxi-Daddy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-08-13

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Hey,

I'm in the middle on getting my motorcycle licence, so right now I have no bike at all. I have never ridden a bike in my life until I went to the motorcycle course about 3 weeks ago.
Really hard to decide and choose, I joined the forum to read a bit about Silverwing.
I want a machine for commuting to work, getting around in town (my work involves a lot of out-of-office time) and for getting fast through traffic jams. I need big storage since I have my laptop, papers etc with me all the time. Also some weekend fun and tour but the emphasis is on work-time (I can have my fun while working, right? Wink ).

I'm thorn between few choises:
Silverwing - I kind of want the scooter, I like the general idea - auto transmission, lots of storage etc. The Burgman is not on sale where I live, so it's the SWing then.
But after I attended the motorcycle course i found the motorcycle is not bad either.

Honda Integra - Scooter-like machine, but really not so much under-seat storage and there is chain one must pay attention to...

Honda Deauville - a full-size motorcycle! With integrated saddlebags! About 25% more expensive then the Wing! I do not mind shifting but... those traffic jams would be like low-gear-neutral-low-gear-neutral...
A great plus is the aftermarket value. Where I live the maxi-scooter market is non-existing so selling my potential Silverwing would be near-impossible. But I want to sell at some point, for upgrading.

Piaggio X10 500cc (can I write "Piaggio" in Silverwing forums? Razz ) - way cheaper than Wing. But I'm in doubt that anything coming from south Europe will beat Honda on reliabilty departement. And I would *hate* this thing breaking on me. I do have my tools and stuff but i really do not desire getting my hands dirty working on the bike... I have a business, a house, a family, i do not need a broken scooter on top of that. But it'll be cheaper and same "king-size" as the SWing.

And I have no chance to touch and test the machines because the local Honda and Piaggio dealers say they do not carry a test scooters since nobody is never buying them.... I would, d...n You, dealers!

So my head is spinning! Will keep reading forums. If anybody has anything to say, why I should get the Piaggio, say it :D

Cheers,
MD
Back to top Go down
scootergal11
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scootergal11

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-08-03

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 5:13 pm

I have road a few different motorcycles, than I got hooked on the scooters.
Had a honda reflex and now just got me a swing and am lovin' it.
My honda reflex was very reliable as I hope my swing will be too! Laughing
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 pm

I had a 09 piaggio MP3 before my Swing. If you want reliability you cant beat the Swing.The Piaggio drive belt and rollers need to be change every 10 KL or sooner .The SW will do 25 to 50 Kl before changing.The SW is a very good scooter. The 400 Bergman is also reliable.Go visit the other forum for more info. The Reflex is another ,and good in city traffic. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Sounds like you have already decided on the S/W and a great choice. As far as the resale value, I believe you will be talking about how great it is for years to come to all your friends and it will be an easy sell. I paid $5000.00 for mine (used) a great deal at the time and have put $ 300.00 worth of lights on it and two years and 12,000 miles later I am sure I can still sell it for the same price. Around here they are still hard to find and people are buying the Burgman.
Good luck with your decision.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

I've put about 21000 miles on my used Silverwing in just under three years. Other than normal maintenance and tires, it has worked flawlessly.

I also have a 2007 Vespa GTS that I've owned for a little less than two years. I've put about 8000 miles on it during that time. It has also performed flawlessly during that time. Vespa is owned by Piaggio and they share engines and other parts.

I would suggest that you also consider the new X10 350. It has a brand new motor that has extended maintenance schedules that rival the Honda. The 350 motor puts out 33 horsepower (24 kw) vs the Silverwing's 48-50 hp (35 kw), but it also weighs 100 pounds less than the Honda. Top speed is about 85 mph and owners are reporting about 60-65 mpg (US), which is better than the Silverwing generally gets. It is probably priced lower than the Silverwing also.

The modernvespa.com forum has a decent amount of info on the new Piaggio 350. Please note that it is mostly about the BV 350, which shares most of its components, but is a 16" diameter wheel/sit-up-straight style. I would guess that most of the info on the BV's reliability and performance should apply to the new X10 350 as well.

If I had both available today, I would probably buy the 350 motor over the 500 motor, if I were looking at switching scoots.
Back to top Go down
SOLORIDER
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-08-28

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 pm

hello solorider here. I have a honda swing 2004 Interested in keeping it maintained no issues as yet. would like to learn to routine service and general maintainence.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New member, Hello 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Howdy SOLORIDER (even if you did join someones introduction). The best place to learn about the Silverwing is to go to the maintenance section and the pictorials. A lot of people have put information there to help all of us. Check it out. Also, if you don't have a shop manual, it's a good investment.
Back to top Go down
derekj
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-08-19

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 pm

hi md go for the silverwing its a good bike i am absolutely loving mine only had it 2 weeks , but i can tell you now its great .
DEREKJ
Back to top Go down
http://www.aberdarepark.co.uk
Sponsored content

New member, Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member, Hello   New member, Hello I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member, Hello
Page 1 of 1