Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

bearing in the final drive assembley

Go down 
+14
pauldeere
model28a
Magoo Triker
johnd
Dimond
NWSSC
tinman
old fart
tankyuong
Waspie
Cosmic_Jumper
tvanloon
Windrider
papa johns
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

at 34,0000 miles i began to hear a scraping sound like metal to Metal when the Silver Wing was on it's stand. no side to side slop just a light scraping when the wheel was rolled in the direction of travel and in reverse. the difficulty was that i had just rolled into Amerivespa in Geneva Lakes Wisconsin 400 miles from home. unfortunately my riding buddy had a massive and fatal heart attack at the same time.
when your in the stew you can only do one thing at a time.
I got a ride in a car to my home and returned to Geneva Lakes to trailer home my Silver Wing. Midwest Scooter Works in lake Geneva Had inspected the wheel bearing and they where good on the swing arm side. I took it home to Dayton Ohio and had my shop disassemble the final drive and the found the final drive bearing had failed. Its a Honda and i have really enjoyed riding but i was thinking this seems early for failure here. i can think of nothing that i could have done to prevent it. i routinely change the final drive Oil. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 am

There is no reason to pull the Clutch Bell to inspect that seal unless the seal is leaking.

Maybe clean up the inside of the belt case as spotless as can be, like is shown on that SWCI video, then pull the case again in a month or so to check for any signs of seal leaks.

Inmate "ToolBoxJesse" figured out a way to pull the Clutch Bell using a 6 or 8" three arm puller, but it's still a PITA even if you do have the right tool. And whatever you do DON'T hammer the Bell back on the shaft. You'll damage the internal bearing. Press the Bell back on with a length of PVC pipe, a stack of washers and the clutch nut. HTH

Tim

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Ok, here is a link to the Clutch Bell removing tool measurements from the SWCI forum: http://www.silverwing400.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=83

And here is the link for the tool for reinstalling the Clutch Bell from the same site: http://www.silverwing400.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=83

Hopefully you've got a machinist in the family who's able to do this kind of a job for you. 'Cause otherwise you'll be spending a whole lot of your Christmas money getting this job done over the counter.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Great find Cosmic_jumper.At the bottom of link there is a scroll back and forward button,cool things.
My service manual arrived today.I opened up to 10-20 and there was the tool.It was the first page I looked at ,way to funny.
Here is the pic .Thanks
http://postimg.org/image/66ex9mo6v/
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 6:41 pm

http://www.gearhead.com/honda-07zmc-mcta100.html#/s/HOM//07ZMC-MCTA100/1

I've never ordered from them (I *THINK* I ordered from Dennis Kirk), but there is a bunch of places that you can order it from - this is just the first one I found. It's a bit more than $100 USD. If you remove the clutch bell twice, it's probably going to pay for itself in labor savings over having a dealer do it. It is a sturdy tool - you probably can replace a hammer or two with it.

One caution - don't wait until you need it to order it. You won't be able to get it quickly, as it seems these take a bit of time to get shipped, and may even be "backordered". It seems Honda's tools are inventoried completely differently than Honda's parts, resulting in no online availability checking of the tool by dealers and such.

I do agree you don't need to fix things that aren't showing problems, and wouldn't remove the clutch bell unless I was fixing something I knew was broken.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes I seen gear head a while ago and continued looking.And that's just 1 tool piece of the 3.
The nut is $65. WooHoo.$192 for all 3 pieces here.
https://www.partzilla.com/index.php?pcsid=spc4umvqdqr9p8779a8ctq0tt6&p=cart
Please correct me if I'm wrong.Oh the clutch compressor was $120 or 180.Yah right!
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 pm

The three piece tool is to install the bell, the tool I listed is to remove it (that part number includes a bolt and the threaded tube both).
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bearing in the final drive assembley   bearing in the final drive assembley - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Ok 192+64=254+$2 gasket to put a dab of grease on the bearing.
Too bad there not at auto zone,I'd rent it.haha
Back to top Go down

bearing in the final drive assembley
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2