Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

cleaning givi

Go down 
+7
Guy
tarmacburner2
ucwinters
john grinsel
Winger61
DickO
hotwings
11 posters
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:21 pm

just wonderin what is the best way to clean a givi windshield. i've been using windex and a new microfibre cloth but it seems to me im gettin some scratches when i look at it in at a certain angle. what do you recommend?? i've read to just use water but its not so good at removing bugs!!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Folks will give you all kinds of different cleaning agents to use; from water to hydrogen peroxide. Personally, when I first got on this site some three or more years ago, Plexus plastic cleaner/polish was the "big" item (and I bought some at Honda). It cost a little more but was more trusted by a lot of riders. Then Pledge in the spray can was suggested and I tried that for quite some time. Worked very well as far as I could tell. Here lately I've been using the cheapo knockoff stuff and it does well too... on all the plastic.

Some folks say that if you use straight Windex, that it will harm the shield but I've used it sometimes to get the heavy bug stuff off and then follow it up with some Pledge type item. Anyway, this one of those areas where you get to "choose your own poison" so to speak. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 5:23 pm

I use Meguiars PlastRX - after I've de-bugged the screen with warm soapy water. With a little bit more effort, the PlastRX will also take out any fine scratches and swirl marks on the screen.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 6:49 am

Full of bugs......wet towel left to soak the bugs/dirt for 30 mins.

After Pledge or cheaper from WalMart-----but bike used/ridden a lot, I clean often. I see no need for more expensive stuff and I, of course, look over shield.
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-01-07

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 am

I read on one of the m/c forums that a guy had switched from using Pledge to Behold - apparently is cheaper and is more similiar to what Pledge was before it was reformulated.
Still have a new can of Pledge - will try the Behold when need to buy a replacement.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 am

Tip for both screens and visors. Kitchen towels soaked in warm water laid on the item for about 30 mins (as previous poster stated). Flies and bugs come off with a gentle wipe.
If you want to get rid of scratches try Novus.

Where can I get some 'Behold'? Never heard of it.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 4:37 pm

I have wondered about the product used to clean aircraft windshields. Anyone tried that?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Guy wrote:
I have wondered about the product used to clean aircraft windshields. Anyone tried that?

If, your talking the white thick liquid, it was what the RN used on it's plexi glass windshields in days gone by, then;

1. it's mega expensive.

2. not available anymore!!!

Or!!!!!!

As I did! (and it's not recommended) I used hydraulic fluid! or OM15 to give it its Brit designation. Absolutely great to clean anything off a plastic windshield.

Downside. If used often enough it would 'craze' the plexi glass. By 'craze' - induce small micro cracks in the various layers of the screen. Resulting in reduced visibility! And a costly change of screen.!! (I was lucky enough not to be caught)

Would I use it on my bike screen! Most definitely not.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Wet towel for about 30 minutes. Wipe down carefully. Plexus.
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-01-07

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:30 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:

Where can I get some 'Behold'? Never heard of it.

Cheers,

Don't know if it's available on your side of the pond or not. Here we'd buy it in the grocery store or chain store like Walmart where the furniture polish is available.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Adding---while traveling in addition to wet towel at end of day. ...Protect All....works on plastic/glass/face shields,glasses, etc.

Means carry only one pressure can for everything. Cheaper at RV Dealers.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 7:44 pm

I would like trying a tear-off material if I can find something. I use tear-offs on my helmet visor for racing.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 am

SCTLVR wrote:
I would like trying a tear-off material if I can find something. I use tear-offs on my helmet visor for racing.
?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:16 am

Isn't this topic essentially the same as: https://www.silverwing600.com/t4826-cleaning-windscreen

They could be merged and the suggestions in each would create an even wider pool of "wisdom" in one spot.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 am

A tear-off is a thin, removable, transparentpiece of plastic sheet that covers a windshield or helmet visor that is removable when it gets dirty. Open cockpit automobile and motorcycle racers us visor tear-offs and closed wheel sports racers and GT racers use full windshield tear-offs. The windshield itself lives a very long time while the tear-off is sacrificial.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 9:49 pm

i knew what a tearoff was but didnt realize it was avail for full windshields.who would have thunk it!!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:12 am

I don't think there is; SCTLVR hinted he might look for something that would do the trick. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cleaning givi Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning givi   cleaning givi I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cleaning givi
Page 1 of 1