Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?

Go down 
+2
Opalsboy
DennisB
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? Empty
PostSubject: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 2:34 pm

I have the Givi windscreen on my SWing but did not use the metal brackets that came with it. It seems to do fine with no noticeable flexing. Did any one else with a Givi wind screen forgo the brackets or should I use them?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Installed a GIVI on my scooter, did not use them or need them. sunny

DennisB
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Givi brackets.   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 5:04 pm

I have a Givi windshield. Came with the bike when I bought it used. Don't know what the brackets are or do.... man, I sure hope I don't find out I need them. I have put over 6,000 miles on my scoot since buying it.
Gary small moped
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Robin I have 27000 miles and 3 years on mi givi and never installed the metal brackits that had come with the Windshield. I have speeds f over 100 mph no im not proud of that but no problems at that speed also in the hight time of real hot summers no problems there either
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:02 pm

I haven't installed them either. Couldn't figure out what they do so I just didn't use them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: givi brackets   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:20 pm

can someone post a picture of the brackets we are discussing? I would like to see what they look like.

Gary
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 6:56 am

Gary trust me pal if pictures were given YOUDE SAY WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE THINGS PAL I cant find mine or I would
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 7:39 am

It's possible that I do not completely understand the World Wide Web, but has anyone considered contacting GIVI with this question?

That thought came to me as I read this thread - so I sent an e-mail to GIVI USA from their website. I'll post their reply when/if I get a reply.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:17 am

Dale all I can tell you is that I built my show car BUT ILL BE DAMNED IF I KNEW HOW TO INSTALL THAT BRACKET!!!
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm

All,

mickey has just posted a new thread about his installation of the GIVI windscreen. He used the brackets and did not have any diffculty installing them.

I did not receive a response from GIVI, so I called them directly at the NC location. the gentleman I spoke to worked in marketing and seemed very familiar with the question.

He told me the brackets were indeed included for the purpose of stiffening the windscreen when it is installed. My guess would be that the mechanical and dynamic engineers determined that the brackets would add a degree of support that most would not notice. I do not have a GIVI windscreen, but I've seen the brackets (only in photos) and have had the front cover off of both of the SilverWings we own. I do not think the installation of the brackets would be too hard. mickey describes it pretty well (I can visualize the task due to my personal experience).

As to the question - Are they needed? I can't say, there are plenty that have not installed them and have not experienced any problems or failures. I'd be interested in a side by side comparison - maybe I'd do that if someone wanted to purchase a pair of windscreens for our bikes Laughing .
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 1:19 am

Just a personal observation, but I put my Givi on without the brackets. Yes, maybe they are suppose to add some support for high speed forces, but I'm not planning on any prolonged visits at that level. Have been there (95+mph) a couple of times and that was enough for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 2:26 am

I don't think they're needed, but the larger screen inevitably puts more stress on the frame.

For some bizarre reason the threaded nuts to support the Givi's extra screws are already in place. Honda put them there, but didn't use them for anything.

I had no problem installing the plates. I'd suggest using them. But if you didn't, and everything seems fine, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The stock setup is pretty stout. I think the idea is more to safeguard the Givi itself, not the bike. You won't break the bike. Plexiglas is pretty unforgiving stuff, and Givi is probably just overengineering it a little bit to provide a more stable mounting base with a couple of extra anchor points.

It took me a few minutes of head scratching to figure out what the brackets were for, and how to mount them, but once the light dawned on me it made sense. Noticing the hidden Honda nuts with nothing attached to them was the key. Just be careful not to drill into the nuts themselves and mess up the threads.

And be careful not to pop out one of the little rubber-dampened mounting points from the stock screen and cause it to drop somewhere into the mysterious depths of the bike's guts.......but that's another story. Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?   Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are the metal brackets for the Givi wind screen needed?
Page 1 of 1