Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning

Go down 
+6
Windrider
JeffR
DickO
bigbird
Pendragon
ehaughn
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning Empty
PostSubject: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi All,

I installed the Givi supplied metal brakets. I ended up reusing the shoulder washer and bolt.

I placed the bracket over the rubber grommets.

In speaking with Givi, they stated I should insert the rubber grommets thru the supplied metal brackets, so the metal bracket would sit on top of the plastic. Probably not a good choice in my opinion.

I am curious on how everyone else installed theirs.

So, for the top 4 holes in order (screw, plastic washer, windscreen, metal bracket, then rubber grommets)

Any one else install it this way or the other?
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Erick, I installed mine a week or so ago, using the original fasteners. I unscrewed the hex-head bolt, laid in the bracket, re-installed the bolt, laid on the Airflow, re-installed original fasteners, then the fascia, I did not see the need to drill any holes; the windshield fits beautifully, and appears very solid.
Pendragon, new '06 600ABS, Airflow, coveted switchable luggage light, bagfull of farkles awaiting warmer weather.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Pendragon wrote:
I did not see the need to drill any holes; the windshield fits beautifully, and appears very solid.

Oh great switchable illuminated one (aka Pendragon):

Did you not need to drill through the tupperware to be able to fasten the hex screw into the rearward most hole in the Givi mounting bracket?

That rearward most hole lines up with the "hidden under tupperware" boss welded to the frame, at least it does on my '09.

From the non-switchable, in the dark, long johned, frost bitten, and envious Bigbird in Winterpeg.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Greetings, oh admirer of the Illuminatti, AKA Big Bird, :-), I was reluctant to drill where I knew nothing of what lay behind there. When my parcel arrived, the 'shield was there, plus the little brackets and extra screws, but the box had been ripped open on one corner, and I may have been missing parts, notably rubber gaskets. I simply did the best I could with what was there, and I think it is strong enough as is; but I am clearly willing to defer to your obvious superior insights in this matter. Do you think that the other bolt is necessary, and if so, what size drill bit did you use, and how far in did you drill? No details were found in the afore-mentioned torn box.
From the switchable, in the sunlight, short-sleeved, and sweat-stained, puissance-permeated Pendragon of the Western Paradise. Pee Ess, why use a teaspoon if you have a snow shovel handy, eh? Cheers!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Ah yes, oh Pendragon, the timeless fascination with what lies beneath.
Well, I've been to that edge of the Swing's universe, that abysmal pit, ergo edge of the world, where the vertical plane of the windshield garnish intersects the horizontal antimatter of the upper fairing. This isn't a place for the meek or timid to venture unaccompanied.

I have braved this ether, and have come back alive to tell the tale.
My observations:

Remove the windscreen garnish. If you pull the upper fairing gently away just below the rear upper dash covering, you will see the welded boss. Honda, in their infinite wisdom and engineering foresight, has tapped this boss for the exact thread matching the Givi hex screw. Vunderbar! Eureka!
Take a drill bit, one size larger than the hex screw diameter, and drill a hole through the tupperware in direct alignment with said boss. Then simply re-attach the windshield, using the hex screw, through the windscreen hole, through the Givi bracket, and into the boss. You'll then have the windscreen securely attached to the frame, not just to the tupperware upper fairing.

Sent from my computer in Winterpeg, home of the abominable scooterist, where the forecast is for snow tonight, and Tuesday will feature
strong NW winds of 40-60km/h, a high of -19C, a daytime windchill of -39C, and not a mosquito in sight.

I may have to spray my exposed skin with eau de Abbotsford to ward off the cold.

Or, I could skip work, go to the Powerhouse dealer, and harass and harangue them into ordering me, hold onto your hat, an illuminated trunk light.
Or not.

Eagerly awaiting your loquacious rebuttal.
BB
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Big Bird, in this life, one gets the occasional reminder that one is not omnipotent; I've just gotten mine :-) Your exquisite rendition of unparalled verbosity is simply intoxicating. If you're ever out this way, I would extend my hospitality to you, including a few boxes of tools, a bed, a campsite, secure parking, a shower, all offered freely in exchange for the privelege of sitting humbly at your feet whilst more pearls of great beauty cascade from yourself. Dare I ask, humbly, after listening to your acquiesence pertaining to luggage illumination that you have seen the light?? Heh, heh, I just couldn't resist that one. Thank you, though, for that scintillating discourse on the shield, methinks I may just rethink the situation, regards,
Pendragon, where it is currently +7C, and I am rejoicing in the fact that there are no mosquitoes to attend to, and I am cooling off with a nice shot of PAARL brandy in anticipation of your next communique. :-)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Ahoy Matey.

I humbly thank you for the magnanimous offerings of hospitality, in particular, the ability to cleanse one's body of bacteria and deceased epidermis, aka the shower. As long as it is not "golden", then we have an understanding.
I would love to be able to take a trip out your way. I doubt if it will happen this summer, as my daughter is getting married on July 29th, and, well, you know. Are you contemplating a trip to the east, to the Mecca that we call Manitoba? To the great prairie hinterland? To the land of milk and honey? Maybe that should be to the land of the mosquito, deer tick, and Lyme disease?
Regardless, I await in eager anticipation of your return foray into the innards of your Swing, the belly of the beast, the viscera of the vehicle, the very foundation of the Airflow. To drill or not to drill, that is the question.
It may be nobler to just let the plastic beast vibrate sympathetically until it self destructs. Or prudence may prevail, and you will take to the tools and reconfirm the solidarity of the anchorage.

Again, I am still non-illuminated, to be forever stumbling and fumbling inside the eternal darkness of the recessed region beneath my buttocks, the trunk.

But, my opinion is not concrete on the matter. The Powerhouse dealer is only 2 blocks from my house. The part # is 34260-SH3-004. There may be a dim ray of hope through my Luddite view of this simple subject.

Sent from the abacus and etch-a-sketch of one
BB
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey Erick,
I wound up not doing the hole drilling thing on mine; just window, brackets, and fascia, as mentioned above. No defects noted after 2 years and many (for me) 75+mph miles.

As for you other two... would you just STOP it ??? Laughing Laughing
All that "fancy" talk has turned my brain to mush !! Shocked
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi DickO,

Whew, finally a straight forward answer. I was getting confused on the conversations between BigBird and Pendragon, what was this thread about again? Smile

Thanks
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 pm

I just used scotch tape to hold my screen on. Basketball
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 am

Well Pendragon, it appears we've been disciplined, both on a verbose and technical level. It seems we should stick to the use of about 10 basic verbs and nouns, and rely on scotch tape for everything. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 am

bigbird wrote:
Well Pendragon, it appears we've been disciplined, both on a verbose and technical level. It seems we should stick to the use of about 10 basic verbs and nouns, and rely on scotch tape for everything. :lol!:

Nawww, What you need is Duck Tape, that will hold anything
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Just picked up my AF214 and, as mentioned somewhere on the forum, it came complete with four new screws and a couple of thin metal brackets. But absolutely no instructions!! Evil or Very Mad Of course, after mounting a Givi top case plate that did come with intructions, maybe none is (are?) better. JeffR's pictorial on the Givi backrest helped more than Givi's directions.

Did anyone who purchased an airflow get instructions with it? More important, did they help?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Some mumbo-jumbo instructions written in Swahili are included with all Givi products. Their only apparent use to me is if the toilet paper roll in the dirty Tennessee public bathroom is empty.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Well it's a good thing I didn't get any then; now I don't have to go to Tennessee! Oh wait --I got instructions with my E52. Yeah, those are pretty pitiful.

I haven't taken the stock windscreen off yet; is it fairly obvious where the new brackets go?
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Somewhat obvious now that I have installed them a few times. There should be some pics that "tonylumps" has posted.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:42 pm

roadrunner wrote:

I haven't taken the stock windscreen off yet; is it fairly obvious where the new brackets go?

No, not really. A hole has to be drilled through the tupperware on each side. Do a search for Givi windscreen installation.
There are many threads about it.
Here's one:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1997-givi-af214-fitting-issues

Here's a snippit of another:

"Remove the windscreen garnish. If you pull the upper fairing gently away just below the rear upper dash covering, you will see a welded boss. Honda, in their infinite wisdom and engineering foresight, has tapped this boss for the exact thread matching the Givi hex screw.
Take a drill bit, one size larger than the hex screw diameter, and drill a hole through the tupperware in direct alignment with said boss. Then simply re-attach the windshield, using the hex screw, through the windscreen hole, through the Givi bracket, and into the boss. You'll then have the windscreen securely attached to the frame, not just to the tupperware upper fairing."
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 4:36 am

I put the bracket in place and cautiously drilled through the plastic (almost no pressure on the drill), using the empty hole in the bracket as a guide to where the hidden threaded boss is.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:50 am

OK, I downloaded the (still pretty crappy) instructions for the DT214 screen, which seem to show the same brackets. I'm guessing the AF brackets work the same way??
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:19 am

If you look at this thread it will show what's under the front panel when you take it off:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t46-givi-windshield-installation-pictorial

Combine this with the instructions and it really is obvious how the brackets and screen fit.

As you will read, I was very hesitant (in a panic, even) but the job turned out to be a breeze - having pictures so I was forearmed was a great help.
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 am

Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Got the AF installed today and it was a breeze -- thanks to all for your great advice. JeffR's pictorials should be included with all Givi products from the factory.

Managed to get a short ride in, thanks to Daylight Saving Time, and wow what a diffference! It isn't draft-free, so I can appreciate John Grinsel's disappointment, but it's so much quieter than the factory piece. And I discovered purely by accident the solution to the backdraft that creeps up around the back of the neck you all have mentioned -- wear a hoodie. I took the liner out of my Fieldsheer jacket this morning and when it cooled off at dusk, I stopped and put on the hoodie underneath, leaving the hood on the outside. The backdraft tucks the hood up under the back of the helmet quite nicely.

I really like the way the AF updates the look of the front of the SWing too. The only downside for me so far is I tend to fiddle with the height of the upper screen every couple of miles. Well, that and the cost. Cheap it ain't...
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Bill,

Congrats on the new screen. It is pretty nice isn't it? A couple of things I really like about it is that it really cuts down on the turbulence when passing semi's nad cross winds, and when it gets hot I just push the screen down and enjoy the breeze. Keep us informed on how you like it the more you ride. And I'm glad the Pictorials helped out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I finally got round to installing my Givi Airflow today, it's been sitting in the box since the week before Christmas! I didn't have any problems fitting it as there's plenty of advice on here, so thanks to everyone for that.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:56 am

Good! cheers
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:05 am

Agree to the easy fitment.

Givi should consider giving JeffR a retainer for all the work he does on making their good product better.

3 stars for the AF214, 5 stars to JeffR's pictorial on fitting it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning   Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AF214 - Metal Bracket Positioning
Page 1 of 1