Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?

Go down 
+15
PtldPlatypus
Octarine
KurtPerthWA
Meldrew
compguy
john grinsel
Winger61
tinman
EasyRider SilverWinger
buddy19520
DaveR
Jinglebob
dspevack
surlybiker58
moosedaisy
19 posters
AuthorMessage
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  Empty
PostSubject: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 am

I've owned my Silver Wing just under a month and I've had more close calls with cars than I had in the past year with my V strom. What gives? I'm wearing the same white helmet, the same black jacket with reflective vest, riding the same...I just don't get it. Is it because I ride so much lower?

I've been going back and forth on selling my wing and the longer I keep it, the less reasons I have to sell it, but this is an issue I don't know how to fix.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:03 am

Here in Maryland , "Stupid Driver Season" lasts all year.

I wouldn't blame the wing for the close calls.

You also have to take in account you're getting use to a new bike
so you might not be as aware of the idiot drivers around you while you
are learning how the wing handles and reacts.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 am

Many people have upgraded their horns to a stebel compact air horn which is like 130db or some rediculously loud number. Even if they don't see you, they'll hear you.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:19 am

You're absolutely right...they do NOT see you. Hell, they don't see 40,000 pound trucks coming at them...what makes you think they see you?

Friendly advice that was given to me when I returned to riding after a hiatus of 35 years:

1. Assume you're invisible.
2. Assume everyone you see is trying to kill you.

Perhaps a little overstated, but accurate nonetheless. Here in California, with its 35 million people, there are MANY on the road who shouldn't be there...anger, makeup, cellphone, text, sleepy, drunk...you name it.

My advice? Ride defensively. Trust no one. Keep your head on a swivel. Ride within your capability. Stay out of blind spots. Do not linger next to cages or big rigs. Leave yourself room to maneuver and escape. Leave your lights on always...get auxiliary lights and turn them on. Wear bright colored protective clothing and helmet-save the vest and T-shirt for when you arrive at your destination. Don't ride when you're tired or when you can't put full attention on the task at hand.

Not trying to scare you...it's all part of learning to ride safely and defensively and yes, it is possible to do so and enjoy the ride. It just takes practice and awareness. Keep pluggin' away...you'll be fine and your defensive riding skills will be honed...

Bob
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Lights, lights and more lights, and make sure you are where you are supposed to be in relationship to the traffic around you. . When you are following someone be sure you stay to their driver side so on-coming traffic can see you. Don't get in the blind spots or you are asking for trouble especially on high profile vehicles.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:24 pm

I suggest adding running lights to your forks, right where the reflectors attach. Last weekend I was on a Burgman ride and quite a few people said it really made the scoot stand out. Wednesday evening I went for a ride with a motorbike group and got the same comment.

The lights I use are some $20 walmart cheapies. They have lasted about 15000 miles so far. They come with 50 watt bulbs, but I switched to 35 watt bulbs since I run heated gear too. They look just as bright. I use them so others can see me, not to light up the road.
Back to top Go down
EasyRider SilverWinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:42 am

I ride with a full face high res helmet and black leathers.

I added Denali D2 driving lights and Admore mini bar a few weeks ago and I notice a difference in the reactions of oncoming and following traffiic.

Before on a two way road when approaching a potential left turning cage
across in front of me or a side road pull out to my right, in scanning these possibilities I would sometimes see the" start to turn and then see a weave, stop" by the driver. This was telling me he/she didn't notice me ....then did.

I also wanted to improve visibility on my rear Smile

I am really happy with my additions even though the Denali hook up required some creative cutting of the new harness and fussing with wire routing. i used Dennis B's bar and perfect connects which helped big time and I recommend to all.

The D2's are very bright. I installed the flood lens on the road edge side and the euro cone lens on the divided highway side so as not to blind oncoming traffic. I run them on high beam and usually ride in daylight.

I have not had any negative feedback from irate drivers but I can certainly notice their awareness of me from quite a distance.

I believe these mods are the best investment I have made in safety after the helmet and riding gear and recommend them highly.
Easy

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 6:49 am

In daytime riding,I always ride with my high beams on .My son just bought A Vstom and when he is riding behind me with his dual light and a taller bike ,I notice him behind me much more the a crotch rocket or cruiser riding on low beams.Riders that ride on high beams facing me are very visible , Low beam riders are not. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 am

When I got back onto two wheels about 3 years ago, my neighbour, (a Harley rider, but still a nice guy!!) looked the scoot over and said, "Very nice, but you do realise that as soon as you get on that you become invisible!"
Sad to say, he's been proved right a few times, despite full-time headlight, extra rear lights, and hi-vis. I think it's more a case of drivers don't want to see you rather than they can't. I also find this to be the case went I'm cycling, and my club colours are very bright!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 am

As high mileage veteran---over 1.5 million miles----including 20 years in Japan/Korea and another 20 in Europe-----first thing you need to stay alive is high set of riding skills. In US south for example...there are a lot of idiots driving cars/pickups/SUVs-----they need to be treated as if they are deaf/dumb/blind and on something----stay out of their way...you are no threat to them.

Lights ok, but not problem answer----high beams in daytime=stupid as it bothers other drivers, ex. HD idiots with their passing light on all the time behind you. You don't want angry driver turning on you.

Hii Vis ok---loud horns ...maybe sex problem. Only way to impress dump truck or bleached blond in SUV is to stay out of their way.

And work on skills, both high speed and low speed----tried a 80mph stop to zero lately? low speed everybody needs work---go to GoldWing or HD and watch people foot paddling around. Really sad---the scooter rally in MO----I have watched the trailer bikers, fall down in the motel parking lot! Long ride there would have been better to work on skills.

With people on phones/texting, etc it is dangerous, staying alert, ready to use the throttle to move and great skills works. AND of course trust no one.....and don't ride in groups. In my working career I had priviledge of using Wash State HD with police Jacket as I taught a course----they seem to get out of way once they know cop bike is around.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 am

If high beams riding gets the attention of car drivers , then its works for me .You get more glare from the sun reflecting on a car windshield,

I will continue to ride with high beams in the daytime it works for me. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 am

All motorcycles are invisable here in Florida.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 am

It maybe does, but I bet it really pisses off the drivers that are oncoming or travelling in front of you, I used to have to fold in the hand level electric mirrors on my 650 Burgman to stop being dazzled by the high beams of inconsiderate drivers following me

There's a fine line between making your self visible and being an inconsiderate twat. Here in the UK we have drivers with a similar attitude using their rear fog lights at night time when there's perfect visibility, and anyone following gets their retinas burned by the over bright lights.

Dressing your scoot up with extra lights is fine but you get lulled into a false sense of security riding round lit up like a Christmas tree, and it's probably other riders that notice you've got extra lights fitted anyway. For me the long held belief that every other road user is a drooling idiot that's out to get me works far more effectively. I sometimes wear a high-viz vest but it's probably more use at night time with it's reflective patches. The bloke that came round to read my gas and electric meters last week also was wearing a high-viz vest, that's how silly the 'elf and safety culture in the UK is now. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:16 am

Ride with high beams on----equals to me little mc/scooter experience----inconsideration for other drivers----one of the best for others to see headon---some Japanese bikes come with low beams on, yellow indicator lights as running lights, at least indication width of bike------since my scooters are usually faster-----HD's behind with their brights on=speed up and get out of their way--they cannot catch....of course they have no lane manners and stick to left lane, just like they would do in their pickups.Takes real balls to try that in Germany!
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 am

Meldrew... wow , so right on the mark old chap. Nothing funny about some nutcase blinding me with high beams from in front or behind. Sure you can see them, cos you cant see anything else. High beams have the same effect on the optical nerve whether it is day or night. 100watts x2 is 100watts x2.
Same goes for HID lights fitted by whackers that have no idea how to set them.
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 pm

I sure wasn't invisible to the three Hardleys I blew past yesterday on my way back from a scooter rally Smile They couldn't keep up on even mild highway curves!

I wear a Carhartt HI Vis yellow vest when riding, it may look dorky but many have said it really stands out. I think it's because cagers are more conditioned to look for construction workers.
Back to top Go down
PtldPlatypus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PtldPlatypus

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Jinglebob wrote:
Friendly advice that was given to me when I returned to riding after a hiatus of 35 years:

This same advice was given to me when I got my endorsement last year, and I agree with it wholeheartedly. I find that I behave much more safely on my scoot than I do in my car, and that's primarily because I think I need to be constantly in fear of my life.
Back to top Go down
Eldon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Eldon

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm

I run modulating high beam with steady on low beam. Also bright orange helmet with reflective stripes, reflective lime vest also a four inch by eighteen inch reflective black and orange chevron across the windshield about one third up. If you look up crash data in my state car motorcycle crashes happen most of time in daylight so it suggests to me high viz colors and bright lights.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Jinglebob wrote:

My advice? Ride defensively. Trust no one. Keep pluggin' away...you'll be fine and your defensive riding skills will be honed...

Bob

I'll add only 3. Repeat 1 & 2. It's not paranoia if you know the Bastards are out to get you.

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:23 am

I whole-heartedly agree with those who consider motorcyclists riding with high-beam on are utterly selfish and inconsiderated.
Recently, whilst driving the car in town in broad daylight I was followed for about 4 miles by an idiot on a big m/c with main-beam on.
Even when I dipped the interior mirror he was still affecting my vision and had it been at night would have destroyed my night-vision.
I slowed so he could pass but to no avail.
He was close enough behind so that having that light on would have made no difference to his visibility to on-coming traffic - it is an idiotic thing to do since dazzling on-coming drivers reduces their capabilities so puts the rider at greater risk....blind the driver and wait for him to crash into you!

In addition, it's not quite been said here about too many HiViz jackets being worn by all and sundry but I hold the view that in places where speed is probably the greatest danger overall, there are not many HiViz jackets dotted about, i.e. on the motorways. Wink
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:41 am

Its not just bikes Mike, its cars,busses,trucksetc. even the local plod

What's wrong with LED daylights. Now they really stand out because they are different and not too many use them.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:
What's wrong with LED daylights. Now they really stand out because they are different and not too many use them.

I installed a pair of LED bulbs/lamps... whatever, to replace the stock pilot bulbs and I really wish I hadn't. I've already posted about the sticky rubber bulb holders, the bulbs coming out and dropping inside the headlight, and the faffiing about to remove them.

They are so annoying, they may be brighter than a bulb but they only occasionally work as a pair, the right side one is out at the moment and I'm sure if I remove the screen garnish and fiddle about it might start working again... but for how long. I could try and replace it with the stock bulb again, but there's a good chance it will drop down into the headlight again.

I've used rubber and nylon lubricant on all the rubber bits to speed up removal and refitting and the stuff works, but I really wish I'd left the original bulbs alone. The LED bulbs are right up there with Grip Puppies as useless, un-necessary junk. Mad

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Meldrew, Iam 100% with you in everything you, and John Grinsel say. That is probably why we are still riding, and enjoying the freedom 2 wheels give, and hopefully being considerate to all other road users,we all want to travel safely no matter what we use. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm

There's only you, me, and John left, Lonesome George sadly passed away a couple of days ago in the Galapogos Islands. He was 101 years old and the last of his kind. Sad
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Kurt, I don't think it's such a problem here with drivers in general although it's often difficult to know when cars obviously have HIDs - damn things!

I have a vague recollection of my partner saying, when he was driving buses in London for Metroline, that it was a serious offence for them to drive on high-beam when they shouldn't and the bus companies, in spite of what people say, take that sort of thing very seriously - at least they do in London, not least because they incur huge financial penalties themselves.
Back to top Go down
EasyRider SilverWinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 4:32 pm

A further point if I might.

My D2's are mounted on DB's bar and my headlights are on Low .....as in Swing Low...........Sweet Chariot Smile

To me this put the D2's lower to the road than a big bike's high beam.

I also live on a large Island approx 40% the size of the UK (Canadian East Coast) with 495,000 souls. The total area of my Province is larger than UK plus Ireland with another 20,000 on the Mainland piece.

This means we are physically spread out and the density is mostly light with the highest density in my area and I know this because I have been called that and worse myself.

Also the topography has many Hills and Dales and very Serpentine in plan.
We do not have much of straight line of sight driving although some do that ...they just don't stay on the road Smile

So with this ...High and Low................Darlin.......(I saw HAIR in London back in the day) and Moose wandering on to the highways ...I prefer to Drive in Daylight unless Murphy's Law catches me.

The Moose unlike Deer can total a cage and splatter a rider. They are attracted to the salt on the roadside used during winter and they will stand transfixed by the headlights so it is essential you spot them early to have a chance and the brights help here too.

I believe those riding across the Pond and South and West of me are sharing the tarmac with muchos muchos amigos perhaps more into the longer commute with more bumper to bumper and I can't imagine that to be too relaxing.

Ergo pour moi I now do what I do to avoid the doo doo and I hope all are safe doing what you do too.
Easy

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:51 pm

I also live in a moose and bear infested area 4 weeks ago a MC rider died after running into a moose. Riding day time on high beams is not a problem here . On a 300 KL run , I can count the cars and the few MC I see . I live on the Northern route That crosses Canada going west ,and running into a transport that has blown a tire at 110 KL P/H.,is scary .It takes 20 hr,s to cross this part of Northern Ontario ,and the population is very low .traveling at night is next to impossible.You will be sleeping with the bears and swamp donky,s because after 8 pm you won't fin a gas station for 200 or more miles apart if your lucky.So driving with high beams is not big problem in day light hours.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?    Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:41 am

I understand what you're both saying about moose, I've done some touring on a Helix in Sweden where the European elk can and does total Volvo's in a collision. On many routes the trees and undergrowth are cut back many yards from the road so you can spot the elk wandering out onto the road in good time.

They also have a special triangular elk warning sign in areas they inhabit, and similar stickers/decals and small metal warning signs are a popular tourist souvenir. It also saves tourists the bother of stealing the full sized signs, a popular free souvenir. I was lucky enough to see an elk minus it's antlers one morning, and they are an impressive sight.

I think it was Sweden that pioneered daytime running lights on their Saab and Volvo cars, so that on long road stretches a lit moving vehicle could be distinguished from the low sun in their summers where it never gets dark. It's probably similar in Canadian latitudes, it was also a novelty for me for to count the vehicles in single figures I'd see in a 5 or 10 minute period on these roads . Also I can't remember anyone using high beams much, and drivers were very courteous and kept to 50-55mph.

I'm sure I've posted something about this before. scratch
Back to top Go down

Am I invisible on my Silver Wing?
Page 1 of 1