Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.
 
HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Welsh member
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:20 pm

» Back Again
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 11:42 am

» My Sliverwing wont run
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 11:39 am

» Can you handle your Silverwing?
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby JamieB Today at 7:08 am

» Centre Stand 'Clang' When 'Rolling Off'
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 4:46 am

» Sprocket and chain
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Leg Cover - which do you recommend
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby Crispien Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Silverwing Manuals pdf
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:33 am

» Good deal on GBoost Aramid Belt
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:58 am

» Honda Forza 350
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:28 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
 

 Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 84
Location : Charleston, SC
Points : 3683
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 6:00 pm

I found them at the motorcycle superstore for a good price. I'm wondering who else has them and might be a better deal.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel


Number of posts : 3136
Age : 82
Points : 8233
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 6:50 pm

First when you are buy tires---Are you going to mount them and balance yourself? Then Dennis Kirk has good price on Diablo in size you require, and the tires are fresh....customer service good. I find "Ride On" easiest for balancing, even though I have balance stand---my experience with Diablo=wonderful on ReFlex, not so good in handling dept on my 2011 Burgman 400. Un known on SilverWing. Notice for both SilverWing and Burgman 400, Diablo not on HONDA or Suzuki recommended and tested list.In 57 years of high mileage riding and near 400 tire replacements, my experience is stick with scooter makers' recommendation. Tackle box mechs seldom out-think Honda and there is safety factor---use what has been previously tested.


SECOND---if you don't do own work--BUY tires from local Honda Dealer, let him mount and balance. Gee, they may even have had SilverWing rear wheel off before. My take, if I were dealer----somebody brings tires in purchased elsewhere I would stick it to him in shop charges.

Riders need local shops to stay in business.

Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 84
Location : Charleston, SC
Points : 3683
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 pm

john grinsel wrote:
First when you are buy tires---Are you going to mount them and balance yourself? Then Dennis Kirk has good price on Diablo in size you require, and the tires are fresh....customer service good. I find "Ride On" easiest for balancing, even though I have balance stand---my experience with Diablo=wonderful on ReFlex, not so good in handling dept on my 2011 Burgman 400. Un known on SilverWing. Notice for both SilverWing and Burgman 400, Diablo not on HONDA or Suzuki recommended and tested list.In 57 years of high mileage riding and near 400 tire replacements, my experience is stick with scooter makers' recommendation. Tackle box mechs seldom out-think Honda and there is safety factor---use what has been previously tested.


SECOND---if you don't do own work--BUY tires from local Honda Dealer, let him mount and balance. Gee, they may even have had SilverWing rear wheel off before. My take, if I were dealer----somebody brings tires in purchased elsewhere I would stick it to him in shop charges.

Riders need local shops to stay in business.


I gotta disagree with you. Manufactures usually choose tires based on the best prices. Not the best tire.

As for the local dealership, I really don't have much use for them. I buy my bikes used from private parties, I buy my parts online, I do my own repairs.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel


Number of posts : 3136
Age : 82
Points : 8233
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:56 pm

I disagree---don't think you have been riding long or lots of miles(at 500,000 yet?) ever lived in Japan watching bike makers and tire makers working/testing?? Or Germany and watching Continental testing? Tires are a well though out deal on new bikes/scooters. Going cheap/not recommended only short changes the bike and the way it should handle/brake. Or maybe you don't ride that well to know difference? how many tires a year are you using/changing? Somewhere there is safety issue here.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 84
Location : Charleston, SC
Points : 3683
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 8:13 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I disagree---don't think you have been riding long or lots of miles(at 500,000 yet?) ever lived in Japan watching bike makers and tire makers working/testing?? Or Germany and watching Continental testing? Tires are a well though out deal on new bikes/scooters. Going cheap/not recommended only short changes the bike and the way it should handle/brake. Or maybe you don't ride that well to know difference? how many tires a year are you using/changing? Somewhere there is safety issue here.

Well I asked for recommendations for a tire purchase but for some reason you felt the need to turn this into a pissing contest. So I'll give you my motorcycling credentials. I'm 36 years old. I bought my first motorcycle when I was 17. I've never owned a car. I ride motorcycles everywhere, to work, to college, and even on vacation. I was a motorcycle dispatch rider in London for 7 years. That means I rode 5 days per week 10-12 hours per day in all weather. I've ridden the entire coastline of Australia, I've also ridden Alaska to Argentina twice.

In the future maybe you should have some idea what you are talking about before you decide to qualify a strangers level of motorcycling experience. And yes I've obviously ridden 500,000 miles..many times over.

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_


Number of posts : 1103
Age : 62
Location : Bay Area, Ca
Points : 8046
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 8:43 pm

moosedaisy,

Is that all...500,000 miles Cool . I bought my Diablo's from the Honda shop and had them install them at the same time. I know some here will go online and buy them but I'm more into doing it the easy way. I think you will like the Diablo's. I had the Hoops (OEM), Diablo's (2 sets), and now have the Metzlers. The Diablo's gave me just a tad under 10,000 miles but I just change tires early to avoid trouble. I think I had about 9,000-9500 on each set.

I like the Metzlers a lot but I don't know if they will last 10,000 miles. I only have about 5,000 miles on them now and they seem to want to last about as long as the Diablo's, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I get mine at the m/c shop since I have them install them too. I can't believe you only have about 500,000 miles, rode as a m/c dispatch rider, rode the coast of Australia, Alaska, and Argentina. (hope you know I'm kidding)

You need to get used to John Ginsel..he means well but likes to tell everyone of his experience.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel


Number of posts : 3136
Age : 82
Points : 8233
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Sorry on that. But still think local dealers are good first contact. I buy only new bikes/scooters, over 75 at this count My miles total over 1.5 million, including 20 years in Japan, Europe from N Cap to southern Italy, Got paid for a lot of riding in the 80's on my job.....and for that matter in the 70's in Japan. Been to Alaska/Central America/James Bay.

Different outlooks----but never should safety be a compromise. I don't drive cars but once in awhile.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 84
Location : Charleston, SC
Points : 3683
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 9:08 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
moosedaisy,

Is that all...500,000 miles Cool . I bought my Diablo's from the Honda shop and had them install them at the same time. I know some here will go online and buy them but I'm more into doing it the easy way. I think you will like the Diablo's. I had the Hoops (OEM), Diablo's (2 sets), and now have the Metzlers. The Diablo's gave me just a tad under 10,000 miles but I just change tires early to avoid trouble. I think I had about 9,000-9500 on each set.

I like the Metzlers a lot but I don't know if they will last 10,000 miles. I only have about 5,000 miles on them now and they seem to want to last about as long as the Diablo's, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I get mine at the m/c shop since I have them install them too. I can't believe you only have about 500,000 miles, rode as a m/c dispatch rider, rode the coast of Australia, Alaska, and Argentina. (hope you know I'm kidding)

You need to get used to John Ginsel..he means well but likes to tell everyone of his experience.

I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'll probably end up getting them from motorcycle superstore. They have fast shipping and my rear tire is down to the wear bars and I have a plug that just won't hold air.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo


Number of posts : 271
Age : 69
Location : Seattle, WA
Points : 4733
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Do some calling round and find out which local installer will do the best for you.

I needed a new rear tire for my Burgman 400. I got a huge puncture on the freeway at 60 mph and lost all the air in seconds. I looked at the preferred installers on Motorcycle Superstore and called each up to price a tire. I was surprised, but a Ducati dealership in the expensive area of town (close to Microsoft), was the cheapest. He even suggested having the tire shipped to him from Motorcycle Superstore instead of buying from him.

He was about 15 miles away though (I don't live in the expensive side of town Wink ) so I called the local dealership and asked if they'd match the price. They said they would. So I ended up going there in the end. Much closer.

John Grinsel does have a point. (And after awhile, you get used to him and learn to love him, despite his "charm".) It's like when buying helmets. We all want to try it on first to avoid getting the wrong fit. But I've also bought my helmet on line later to save some $$$. The last helmet, I bought locally, partly to help the local guys so there would be a place to try on a helmet later.

Chris
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 84
Location : Charleston, SC
Points : 3683
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Daboo wrote:
Do some calling round and find out which local installer will do the best for you.

I needed a new rear tire for my Burgman 400. I got a huge puncture on the freeway at 60 mph and lost all the air in seconds. I looked at the preferred installers on Motorcycle Superstore and called each up to price a tire. I was surprised, but a Ducati dealership in the expensive area of town (close to Microsoft), was the cheapest. He even suggested having the tire shipped to him from Motorcycle Superstore instead of buying from him.

He was about 15 miles away though (I don't live in the expensive side of town Wink ) so I called the local dealership and asked if they'd match the price. They said they would. So I ended up going there in the end. Much closer.

John Grinsel does have a point. (And after awhile, you get used to him and learn to love him, despite his "charm".) It's like when buying helmets. We all want to try it on first to avoid getting the wrong fit. But I've also bought my helmet on line later to save some $$$. The last helmet, I bought locally, partly to help the local guys so there would be a place to try on a helmet later.

Chris

While I get the idea of supporting a local shop, I'm not going to pay $30 more per tire. That's what my local shop was charging. Plus $25 each to mount. I'll pass, I've bought things like helmets and gloves at brick and mortar shops. I've worked in the parts department and know what the markup is on hard parts. I'll let the next guy pay that.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider



Number of posts : 388
Age : 69
Location : Lattitude 47
Points : 4724
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?    Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 7:56 pm

moosedaisy wrote:
I found them at the motorcycle superstore for a good price. I'm wondering who else has them and might be a better deal.

Motorcycle superstore has good service too!
Back to top Go down
 
Where are you guys buying your Pirelli Diablos?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Tired of the sand guys
» Were do you guys live
» Buying a 20 year old vehicle
» If buying a Rhino
» Shop Angels and Southern SxS Guys...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: