Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Today at 6:20 am

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 3:06 am

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» Introduction.
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 1:02 pm

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 9:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 2:25 am

» Radiator Removal
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:31 pm

» Crumpled...........
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:46 am

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:18 am

» Stator wire gauge
Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:54 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing bottoming out

Go down 
+2
larryinseattle
The Scootist
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Silverwing bottoming out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silverwing bottoming out   Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Bill:
Do you know how much weight you have carried on your Swing? Did you have to do anything special to the suspension carry the extra load?With me and my wife (and all our riding gear), we total about 400 lbs. I read that the maximum recommended weight for the Swing was only about 360 or 370 lbs. I keep my rear shocks set at 4 or 5, but I have still bottomed out when I hit a big bump. Do you bottom out too?
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Silverwing bottoming out   Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 6:53 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Bill:
Do you know how much weight you have carried on your Swing? Did you have to do anything special to the suspension carry the extra load?With me and my wife (and all our riding gear), we total about 400 lbs. I read that the maximum recommended weight for the Swing was only about 360 or 370 lbs. I keep my rear shocks set at 4 or 5, but I have still bottomed out when I hit a big bump. Do you bottom out too?

That has been my issue with loading it up for camping. I weight 260 and all of my gear goes way over the top of the remaining 110 lbs.

My girl friend weighs 135 so we are over the limit with just the two of us, so I take the condoms out of the glove box to compensate a little.

That is why I installed a hitch on my Silverwing. I have not finished yet, as I still need to do the wiring on the bike, but the urgency is not there as I have the Goldwing if I am going camping. However, in the future, once I am done with the long distance touring, I will only have the Silverwing....
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing bottoming out   Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 2:22 am

My Honda shop manual list the maximum carrying capacity at 366lbs for
the US version

The Canadian model is listed at 375lbs

I guess I need to go on a diet before my wife and I do any two up riding
or move to Canada
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing bottoming out   Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 5:03 am

Hopefully my girl friend will be able to lose that extra 5 lbs that she has been trying to lose.

Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing bottoming out   Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 1:34 am

Give this a try.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4904-need-info-on-pvc-spacer-for-rear-shocks#45934

I just did it to my bike and it made a huge difference...seriously huge. Even my wife noticed the improvement and she usually doesn't notice that kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing bottoming out   Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:34 am

I am about 240 and my wife is around 200 plus all the crap we buy when were out and put under the seat and I don't think mine has ever bottomed out. How would you know if its bottomed out?

I never really thought to see what the max weight limit was, I just keep the rear tire at 36psi like it says under the seat for over 260lbs. Guess we are way over the max, but then again technically 4 adults are over the max weight according to my cars owner manual to. Guess Americans are all to big for our vehicles.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing bottoming out   Silverwing bottoming out I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 6:38 pm

acworthpatrick wrote:
I don't think mine has ever bottomed out. How would you know if its bottomed out?

You can feel when it bottoms out (especially the rear passenger). You will notice a sharp blow and hear it from the rear.
Back to top Go down

Silverwing bottoming out
Page 1 of 1