Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) Empty
PostSubject: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Just thought i would show you guys 20000 mile front bearings and dust seals compared to new ones (now im worried about the back)the dents are caused by me getting heavy handed
Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) Dsc00312Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) Dsc00311
First took off fender so didnt have to jack up too high(didntt want too much pressure on belly pan.
Then undid big nut on left and 2 hex screws underneath.
Pulled out axel quite easily then removed spacers and put back in place for safe keeping.
removed the seals with screwdriver (just pop out)
then tapped out bearings from inside to out making sure not to hit the inside of the wheel
once out cleaned it up put one bearing back tapping gently into place
then center tube followed by other bearing greased inside of dust seals and popped back
then cleaned and greased axel put spacers back and slid axel through (had to push brake bads back slightly to get disc in so gently pumped front brake when all together)
then tightened up all screws (dont over tighten)
and now runs true without wobbly cornering cheers
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi John,

You did good!!!!! How long did it take you?

Thank's for the pictures. swing

DennisB Smile
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 1:46 pm

Not too long Dennis about an hour may have taken a little less but was doing it with a friend so had to drink coffee (its the law you know)lol
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm

mr fish wrote:
Just thought i would show you guys 20000 mile front bearings and dust seals compared to new ones (now im worried about the back)the dents are caused by me getting heavy handed

Did you replace with OEM bearings?
Has anyone checked if there are better quality bearings??
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Over here the law says you have to drink beer with any fix-it task. Then you can't try out the improvement until the next day. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 3:43 pm

I used all honda parts figured the others lasted 20000 so must be ok, and as for the beer drinking if i would have started that i might still be there
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks for posting this.... My Swing had ever since the wheel powder coating and new rear tyre developed a noticeable handlebar wobble at 25-35mph, which is now much better thanks to heavier bar ends, but still just noticeable if you have only one hand on the bars. My S'wing has done 27,000 miles and having seen your photos I thought I'd check the front bearings....... Did the front wheel wobble test, (someone leans on the back so the front wheel is off the ground, and free to wobble about) and there is a bit of play which would indicate that they are on their way out. Have booked my wing in for the bearings to be changed.

Will let you know if this makes much difference when riding.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Glad i could be of help hope this sorts out the problems
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Bernardo wrote:
Have booked my wing in for the bearings to be changed.

Are you changing the bearings yourself?
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 5:22 am

honda_silver wrote:
Bernardo wrote:
Have booked my wing in for the bearings to be changed.

Are you changing the bearings yourself?

Nope. I don't have the time at the moment. Sad I work/study full time, and have a young family that I don't want to neglect..... Time is at a premium and if I was to do the work myself it would eat into the time I get for actually riding. Although I have done simple stuff in the past and a little bit of tinkering, I always end up spending two to three times as long as I had intended.... !!! Exclamation Question Surprised

This way I can drop the scoot off, and carry on with my written work on a laptop at a nearby cafe or maybe the supermarket. I'm finishing off another undergraduate degree, and a postgrad certificate in June, so things are hotting up for me study wise at the moment. If I pass, I want to persuade my boss to let me try and integrate some new techniques into general practice at work. Alas am thoroughly fed up with study at the moment... I shouldn't have taken on so much.... I plan on having a break from study after June 2009. We live and learn!! The bike and scoot, and notably riding them, keep me sane and grounded.

Happy Riding
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

PostSubject: New front wheel bearings on my 27k Swing, notice able ride improvement   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 3:31 pm

OK the front bearings were changed on my S'wing, and have made a big improvement to the ride, much less hint of wobble at 25 to 35mph. Well worth the effort to have them changed, and I'd recommend this to anyone as a suggestion to consider to help address the wobble if you have one....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)   Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Out with the old in with the new (sadly not scoot)
Page 1 of 1