Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Scooter window shopping

Go down 
+3
bikehiker
Old Limey
Meldrew
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Scooter window shopping Empty
PostSubject: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 5:08 am

I'm spending a bit of time at the moment just riding to various dealerships in the area trying in vain to find a SYM dealership with a Cruisym in their showrooms to look at. Failing that I've already got the figures if I choose to order a new Honda Forza 300 which I've already looked at.

Or there's a couple of new Yamaha XMax 300’s in the local Yamaha dealers I could buy and easily kit out with a lot of the gear I already have.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am

Before I bought my Cruisym I watched videos on you tube, none were in English. I did not find it hard to work out what was being said, it was mainly for the overall inspection of the bike, and videos put you in the riding seat mostly. If you get to sit on one Meldrew your hands and feet fall naturally into the same feel as the Silver wing. I am not saying it will be capable of the touring you do, but nothing else I tried came close to feeling "right".
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 pm

I've looked at a load of YouTube videos on the Cruisym too, I like the nice touches like braided steel brakes hoses and the rear hugger, I had a quick stop at the local dealership today and as expected they didn't have one in, and I'd already gave a new 400 Burgman the once over at the Suzuki dealership on the way there.

The local Yamaha dealer had a new XMax 300 demonstrator in, so I took that out for a short spin round York in the rush hour. I liked the keyless ignition, comprehensive instruments, and the brand new engine was smooth and responsive.

In fact there's a lot to like about the XMax, it's engine is very fuel efficient and it's getting on for 150 lbs lighter than a Silver Wing. Although with it's shorter wheelbase you can't ride as feet forward as the Silver Wing, the seat on the 2018 model has a small butt rest which doesn't help, and the seat height is 3" higher.

The screen was on it's lowest setting, but was still miles better than the Silver Wing's OE screen, and the mirrors could have been better. When I got back to the dealers I sat on a 2017 XMax 300 which has a seat with no butt rest which I found was a lot better.

The dealer also had a low mileage SYM Maxsym 600 in with a higher screen and Givi rack, but that's a single cylinder maxi that's almost as heavy as a Silver Wing.

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 4:30 am

I did try an xmax 300 but I found it too high, I couldn't put my feet down  safely. Not sure about keyless ignition, more to go wrong, and the stop start thing does not appeal.  No butt rest on the Sym. If you did find a dealer with a Cruisym iam sure you would be impressed.

Last edited by Old Limey on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Considering a new scoot   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 am

Yes, the XMax seat height is 3 inches higher than a Silver Wing at 31 inches. I was well aware of that putting my feet down at the lights. In fact all the current crop of 300 maxi scooters have gone for short wheelbase and higher seat height.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 8:26 pm

How many posts will it take to motivate bike makers to make a bike with a low enough seat to attract more riders? Harley and BMW are beginning to recognize the market need for low seat options, but very slowly. Honda's Vultus (NM 1), at about 26 inches, is a beginning, but we need more low options. Safety at lower and higher speeds is a major element on a two-wheeler. Safety with ABS is finally gaining momentum. Now, let's get some low seats out there.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 2:43 am

Personally I'm not interested in what's happening to motorcycles, seats or otherwise, since getting into maxi scooters 22 years ago my interest in bikes has gradually dwindled away over the years to almost zero.

But the current crop of new mid capacity maxi scooters all do have taller seats than the Silver Wing's height of 27.9 inches. The new Suzuki Burgman 400 is 29.7 inches, the Yamaha XMax 300 demonstrator I rode was 31 inches, and the new Honda Forza 300 I went to look at recently is 30.7 inches.

Old Limey's SYM Cruisym 300 is 29.9 inches, the SYM Joymax 300 30.3 inches, the Kymco X Citing 400 31.8 inches, and the Kymco X Town 300 30.9 inches.

There's also the Kawasaki J300 which is basically a rebadged Kymco Downtown 300 and I didn't bother checking that, or any of the big wheel step through scooters.

Looking at the dimensions of these various maxi scooters, they're all getting more compact with shorter wheelbases and taller seat heights, and that seems to be the way the scooter manufacturers are going. Seeing that the vast majority of mid capacity maxi scooters are used in Asian and European cities, the shorter wheelbase makes sense for street parking, and the taller seating position for better all round visibility.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 8:24 am

Unfortunately, the trend in taller seats is also excluding a big majority of riders who are challenged in the inseam area. I doubt that an inch or two makes for better visibility. I much prefer to have confidence in stopping securely with both feet on the ground: not necessarily flat-footed, but as close to it as possible. When you are teetertottering on your feet at a stop, specially at intersections, lights, uphill, etc it doesn't inspire confidence at all.
The trend is going in the wrong direction: my comments here or on the manufacturers' websites is not going to amount to much. I might as well take a leak against the prevailing wind !!!!

My 5 cents. It costs more to take a leak nowadays.

Jay.

Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 11:55 am

I nearly bought the sym 300 a few months back, never rode one but the smaller engine always put a bit of doubt in my mind so I went for another silverwing for the larger ccs.

In hindsight should have test rode one as the wing is such a heavy lump, very good lump though.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 pm

I bought a new silverwing 600 in 2014 (my original one bought in 2010 had 40,000mls on. At the time there was nothing available that was similar to it. When I saw videos on you tube of the Cruisym 300 (that has only been available this year, in the UK), I felt that that was what I was looking for in a smaller version of the Swing. Having bought one in late May and done nearly 4000km I know I made the right choice. Seat hight is slightly higher as Meldrew pointed out, but not much, performance is surprisingly lively. I find the lighter weight ideal for me. Servicing is straight forward as it does not have an oil filter, it uses the same thimble filter that is in the Silverwing. Under seat storage is so good I don't need a topbox. LED indicators and lights are excellent. It will cruise all day at 50/60mph and I get an average of 90 mpg. I still have my Silverwing and will use it more as winter comes, the screen on the SYM can be set high or low and higher setting is ideal for me. I have 38,680 mls on my Silverwing and the Sym will help me keep the mileage down (maybe). The first thing I did when I got the Sym home was take out the under seat light bulb.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Old Limey wrote:
Servicing is straight forward as it does not have an oil filter, it uses the same thimble filter that is in the Silverwing.

What's the service intervals please
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 4:16 am

First Oil change is 1000 km engine oil 1ltre final drive oil 160km, and clean crankcase filter. Thereafter 5000km engine oil. 10000km engine oil and final drive oil and general check. 15000km oil change ,  air filter change, belt change, roller clean up spark plug change. Crankcase filter is same as on Silver wing (foam pad) cleaned with white spirit and cleaned at each oil change.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 10:43 am

Cool small moped
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 am

I owned a SYM 300i EVO before getting the Swing. The seat is at around the same height (hugely important to a small rider) but the smaller engine does not cut the mileage which I do in daily commute. Swings rock!
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 4:58 pm

cotetoi wrote:
Unfortunately, the trend in taller seats is also excluding a big majority of riders who are challenged in the inseam area. I doubt that an inch or two makes for better visibility. I much prefer to have confidence in stopping securely with both feet on the ground: not necessarily flat-footed, but as close to it as possible. When you are teetertottering on your feet at a stop, specially at intersections, lights, uphill, etc it doesn't inspire confidence at all.
The trend is going in the wrong direction: my comments here or on the manufacturers' websites is not going to amount to much. I might as well take a leak against the prevailing wind !!!!

My 5 cents. It costs more to take a leak nowadays.

Jay.

Agree!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scooter window shopping   Scooter window shopping I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scooter window shopping
Page 1 of 1