Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition Switch
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby POCAHONTAS Yesterday at 6:45 pm

» Lift Without A Lift
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 5:25 pm

» LED Headlights
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» 2003 ABS Silverwing re fresh
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» 2003 ABS info on recall work
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Fri Oct 25, 2024 5:00 am

» Handlebar Holder Recall
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Best Modifications for Best MPG?

Go down 
+15
dikkiedo
Cosmic_Jumper
model28a
AAAA
DennisB
Waspie
The Scootist
Windrider
Meldrew
bigbird
dspevack
JeffR_
roadrunner
txtrkdrvr
aerosilverwing
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aerosilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-02-09

Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 12:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have tried the search feature and came up empty. If I was to either add or take away from a Silverwing what would that be? Is the 2008 and newer models that much better for fuel mileage?

The first SW I test drove had the tach. at 4500 @60mph. I understand that the Dr. Pulley sliders can help drop that, but not sure if going to the heaviest slider would be best? Ideas?

Aero mods are going to be later down the road. I am looking for immediate solutions.

I read somewhere that there is a electronic command module. Info on that would be helpful. Again, just looking to get better mpg's.

I am mindful of the tire pressure, heavy accelerations, kind of things already.

Thank you
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:10 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4214
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 12:05 pm

That's true, but I'm not the only one that's binned them, and I believe you said in a previous post you only ride out for a couple of hours, so they probably are fantastic for you. It's a good job I don't take much notice of all the other junk that's regarded as essential to fit. Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't have any modifications ( unless you count Pro Grip handlebar grips and Iridium plugs) and i have just done an MPG check. Starting with fuel visible in the filler neck, and zeroing the "B" mileage counter i did 221mls before running completely out of fuel. I carried 2 ltrs of fuel in a spare container so i could run completely dry and not get stranded, is this good?. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 pm

That's excellent mate, I fancy cracking the 200 mile tank range as a little project in the Spring, already bought me 2 litre spare fuel container in Munich last year. If I hadn't suffered a type of stroke last September I'd have already had a go.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm

aerosilverwing wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
I listened to advice on here and installed Grip Puppies, they were rubbish. I removed them and they now fitted to the handle of my snow shovel as Slush Puppies! Smile

What do you suggest then? Did you find any that worked for you?

No I didn't, my right hand cramped up badly and the foam prevented the heated grips working efficiently. So I removed them, the hand cramps stopped and I could feel the heat through the grips again.

Last time out I wore Hein Gericke Pathan 2x2 finger gloves and hardly needed the grip heaters as my hands were warm. However afterwards I noticed the web of skin between my right forefinger and thumb was quite numb and red for about 24 hours, which may have been the glove liner bunching.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Limey,

That is pretty good since it figures out to about 55 mpg. I figured 221 miles/4 gallons for U.S. conversions. I think you guys over use liters don't you?
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 2:27 am

221 miles for 16 litres.

62.79 MPG (UK)
52.28 MPG (US)
22.22 Km per litre

Using various website conversions I got those figures, am I right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
aerosilverwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 am

RArch wrote:
221 miles for 16 litres.

62.79 MPG (UK)
52.28 MPG (US)
22.22 Km per litre

Using various website conversions I got those figures, am I right?

Isn't around 50mpg what they got from the factory new? My goal is to bring that amount up.

I crouched a bit behind the windscreen and the buffeting noise and cold wind disappeared on my face. If I lowered the seat and lowered and angled the windscreen more, I might find some hidden mpg?

Tonight I also loosened my grip and found my hands didn't fall asleep.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:12 am

Whilst reading the thread about H7 globes and following the link Waspie posted I came across this post from Bill (honda_silver):

I do not know why but my left arm was feeling every vibration like a stinger. I did not want to stop riding, so I got the larger Manic Salamander bar end weights which greatly reduced the vibration. I was able to keep riding and allow my arm to heal ... I never had a the arm stinger again.

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 am

MikeO wrote:
Whilst reading the thread about H7 globes and following the link Waspie posted I came across this post from Bill (honda_silver):

I do not know why but my left arm was feeling every vibration like a stinger. I did not want to stop riding, so I got the larger Manic Salamander bar end weights which greatly reduced the vibration. I was able to keep riding and allow my arm to heal ... I never had a the arm stinger again.

If the Grip Puppies did not work ... that would be my next suggestion.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 am

I use the bar weights and cushioned grips and my SWing is very smooth. All and all it costs about $100 for all of it.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm

RE: my mileage figures: These figures were obtained under normal riding conditions, i just wanted an idea of the range i could expect. Most roads in England are 60mph some are now 50mph through towns it is 30mph. I keep to the limits. Ocassionaly i get the devil on my shoulder ( usually when I'm overtaken by a "sports Bike") then i may touch 90mph as i overtake them, on bendy roads of course. I rarely travel on motorways where the limit is 70mph, but where is the fun in travelling in a straight line on two wheels? Wink I worked out my mpg at 62
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Best Modifications for Best MPG?   Best Modifications for Best MPG? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Limey: That MPG is amazing, the best I've got so far is 56 mpg (UK), with my average being 51 over 3 fills of mostly city driving.

Check out www.fuelly.com you might find it useful to log your fills.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk

Best Modifications for Best MPG?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2