Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clutch modifications

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Clutch modifications Empty
PostSubject: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 23, 2017 11:20 am

Experimentation with modified Variator's and Malossi torque springs have revealed the following. Using the stock clutch springs works best along with the White Malossi Torque spring in the fact that it allows the clutch to fully engage sooner than with stronger clutch springs and forces the rollers to remain further down in their channels in the variator.

All the modifications I have explained have no negative effects on street use and performance other than the slight loss of fuel mileage caused by the rider using his tremendously increased performance more often. Since the belt has climbed to its highest position by about 60 MPH Highway mileage is not effected.

Delaying the clutch engagement with stronger springs brings on unnecessary wheel spin and results in higher ET's than use of the stock clutch springs. No clutch slippage is experienced with these modifications. Using the #1 setting on the rear shocks also results in less wheel spin as it allows the bike to transfer weight to the rear wheel during acceleration, Resulting in a better ride and better handling and the moderate wheel stands I have reported as all weight of the bike and rider are transferred to the rear wheel.

Some of the posters here will not agree with what I have reported as they have lamely demonstrated in the past, My reports are based on years of experimentation and success on hundreds of bikes, not theory or wet dreams.

Using the explained modifications may result in the V lamp occasionally illuminating, The reason being that we have varied from the look up table limits programmed into the Computer, Resetting the V lamp is a simple process.
Happy motoring lloyd 193
swing
Back to top Go down
E.D.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
E.D.

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 am

Yes Malossi has some good springs. The white torque spring also works well in the Burgman 400. I didn't use it in mine, but others have said it worked for them.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 1:34 am

lloyd193 wrote:

Delaying the clutch engagement with stronger springs brings on unnecessary wheel spin and results in higher ET's than use of the stock clutch springs.
Should it not lower the ET's?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 8:55 am

Seems to me that a Dr Pulley HiT Clutch, which can be adjusted to lock-up at whatever rpm desired, would be ideal for your application.

I'm sure that an up-rated contra spring would help with the Hit Clutch too. But I just cant wrap my head around how the interplay of changed variator weights and up-rated contra spring works --even though Sidewinder Pilot has made several excellent posts regarding that very subject.

Lloyd, your lighter weights, heavier contra srping seems to be the opposite of "conventional" wisdom which is "heavier variator weights, heavier contra spring". But then maybe your variator & clutch mods are more focused on drag racing type performance rather than improved daily use performance.

Tim
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 11:59 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Seems to me that a Dr Pulley HiT Clutch, which can be adjusted to lock-up at whatever rpm desired, would be ideal for your application.

I'm sure that an up-rated contra spring would help with the Hit Clutch too. But I just cant wrap my head around how the interplay of changed variator weights and up-rated contra spring works --even though Sidewinder Pilot has made several excellent posts regarding that very subject.

Lloyd, your lighter weights, heavier contra srping seems to be the opposite of "conventional" wisdom which is "heavier variator weights, heavier contra spring". But then maybe your variator & clutch mods are more focused on drag racing type performance rather than improved daily use performance.

A variator works by weights climbing ramps to increase the diameter of the variator, By applying more resistance to the variator, The Torque spring. the weights can not climb the ramps as fast. The lighter weight of weights is affected less by the syntrifical forces and remain lower on the ramps longer. Thus increasing the ratio of the variator as compared to the driven pulley.

A lighter clutch spring appling more load sooner to the variator accomplishing the higher torque curve that we seek. All these things work in unison to greatly increase the bikes acceleration.

Anyone riding one of my silverwing scooters will go home and throw rocks at their silverwing.

Performance is accomplished by many seemingly small changes, There is no one item improvement that offers outstanding improvements other than supercharging and or use of fuel.

Incidently My AA/A that I built (Tube Chassis car) used a Blown Olds 340 Cubic inch Engine, 1400 lb car did the Quarter mile in 9.5 seconds @ 165 MPH, (6-71 GMC blower) on pump gas in 1960. I am no newbie to performance and how to get it.

Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Easyrider wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:

Delaying the clutch engagement with stronger springs brings on unnecessary wheel spin and results in higher ET's than use of the stock clutch springs.
Should it not lower the ET's?
Wheel spin increases ET's, That is the reason maximum traction is sought by all knowledgable drag racers.

We want increased acceleration, Not increased wheel spin. Maximum weight transfer also fits into this puzzle. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Perhaps you mean to say maximum wheel speed (along with increased traction) increases ET's. Reduced traction = increased wheel spin = increased higher ETs.

However IMHO stronger clutch shoe springs causes the clutch to engage at a higher rpm and closer into the power band.

'Tis a puzzlement scratch
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Clutch modifications   Clutch modifications I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Perhaps you mean to say maximum wheel speed (along with increased traction) increases ET's. Reduced traction = increased wheel spin = increased higher ETs.

However IMHO stronger clutch shoe springs causes the clutch to engage at a higher rpm and closer into the power band.

'Tis a puzzlement scratch
Tim, you are correct, Higher RPM clutch engagement causes wheel spin. It is best to have the rear tire hooked up and weight transferred before maximum torque is reached, That way torque is converted into acceleration, Not into wheel spin. Wheel spin increases ET's not lowering ET's as we are interested in doing. We have pretty well worn out this stage one discussion on High performance and I am not sure we have accomplished anything. Happy motoring lloyd 193.

swing
Back to top Go down

Clutch modifications
Page 1 of 1